Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2023, 8:13 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by marlin
Looking at BWI/DCA options. What if I book DCA one day and BWI the next day. Should that still be o.k. 22 hours apart
Yes. If it's physically possible to fly both of them, you should be fine.
marlin likes this.
Old May 16, 2023, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by marlin
Will Southwest proactively cancel a flight if I book the same itinerary (one way) on two consecutive days? I won't know which day is better for a month.
Why don't you book the flight you want once you know what your schedule is? What's the point of booking both so far in advance?
Old May 16, 2023, 2:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
Yes. If it's physically possible to fly both of them, you should be fine.
This- I book the expensive trips far in advance even though I'm not always sure of when I should/can go, and as long as you can "reasonably" get to each place CancelBot won't hit you.

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
What's the point of booking both so far in advance?
Price, of course.

... and to echo Our Fearless Leader's point, be sure to cancel the other seat(s) as soon as your plans have solidified.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:46 am

So I can officially confirm that either the cancelbot does not run every night, or it has been programmed to ignore bookings made that day.

Yesterday, I booked two trips to Nashville for this summer, and somehow when I was booking, I got the outbound flights right - but accidentally booked my flight home in July twice instead of booking one for July and one for August. I went to see if I could reprice anything during the sale, and realized that I had two tickets on the exact same flight.

​​​​
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:51 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The bot runs at midnight Central time. It will cancel your duplicate flight at the second midnight, not the first.
Tanic, kennycrudup and synergistic like this.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by nsx
The bot runs at midnight Central time. It will cancel your duplicate flight at the second midnight, not the first.
Ah, I must not have realized that they have always given us a single day of grace. It's been so long since I did a segment run, I haven't met the cancelbot in a long time anyway. That's good to know, that I can book on the last day of a sale and buy myself a little more time to make up my mind.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:39 am

Programs: Nectar Card
nsx, how does the bot decide whether two flights are both flyable? Does it check whether there's a valid WN itinerary connecting the two end of one, to the beginning of the other? Or does it calculate the distance between the endpoints, figure out the average flying time between the two on any carrier, take on an hour on each end for self-connecting, and decide like that? Either way, it's not enormously-difficult to set up, but just wondering how persnickety they coded up the thing.

Also, from this [thread] I have determined that a WN itinerary landing in city-A at the same time another WN itinerary departing city-B, would not work. ^_^
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:21 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The bot does not limit its feasibility consideration to WN itineraries.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by nsx
I dunno ... I'd once had two schedules that could have worked had I taken a red-eye on someone else (with time to spare even) and CancelBot popped one or the other (it was a while ago, I don't remember all the details).
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:19 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by nsx
Ok, and it sounds like we're quite sure that it does take into account whether the two itineraries are flyable?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:52 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ok, and it sounds like we're quite sure that it does take into account whether the two itineraries are flyable?
Yes. The bot's algorithm will not cancel you if there's any reasonable way to fly both. It has never canceled any of my segment runs, even with fast turns and two round trips in a day.
futuramadramallama likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.