Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by singlebackpack
+1. This is a real thing in California. Hundreds of SWA flights per day between Norcal (SMF, OAK, SFO, SJC) and Socal (LAX, BUR, ONT, SNA, SAN). Lots of business and govt travel. Meeting times change, roadway traffic changes for the worse, weather delays move flight schedules, you name it. By removing some flexibility Southwest and tacit approval for double-booking, SWA is giving some of it's best customers (these biz/govt travelers) the middle finger. I don't see that as a good move.
Southwest has NEVER tacitly approved of fraudulent/speculative/duplicate bookings. It's in the contract of carriage that states in plain English that you are not allowed to do that and Southwest can cancel your flight with no notice!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty much this. I only book trips that I intend to fly. Always have, always will. I will now book cheapest flight (on any airline except SWA as they are almost never the cheapest) as my "primary" flight, considering it a sunk cost if plans change. If there is a *chance* of meeting going late, connecting internal flight landing late, family changing vacation plan, etc, I will book my "contingency" flight on SWA (and yes, I'll go for the cheapest viable option there too, rather than risk getting reamed "last minute" at a ticket counter or not getting a seat home at all). Usually I won't need the contingency but as a saavy consumer (no, I don't consider it "fraud" to try and pay less of my hard-earned $ for a flight/product/trip and/or ensure that I will get home safely from a faraway place) will be appreciative that Southwest gives me the option...'til that of course is gone to and there will really be no reason to book SWA (as I'll book that on another airline as well).

If SWA considers me a bad customer and doesn't want my money, so be it. There are plenty of other airlines who will take my $ rather than fly empty jets around at enormous expense.
That is a 180 degree change of story:

...Booked a one-way Boston to California Sept 6 with points a few weeks ago. Family reunion plans are evolving, so I recently booked another one-way (also with points) Manchester (MHT) to California Sept 7. ...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Southwest has NEVER tacitly approved of fraudulent/speculative/duplicate bookings. It's in the contract of carriage that states in plain English that you are not allowed to do that and Southwest can cancel your flight with no notice!
Not preventing flyers from doing this in the past can't be considered tacit approval? Even when in direct contrast with the T&Cs? If that's not looking the other way, I don't know what is. Basically my overall point is that Southwest is clearly not as full of "LUV" for the flyer/customer as it used to be.

There is even anecdotal evidence of SWA agents *encouraging* this practice in the past (i.e. see last post here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-yourself.html)
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:36 pm

That is a 180 degree change of story:
Not it all.

I booked two flights and intend to fly on one of them. Which one, I don't know yet. As soon as I know, I cancel the flight I *no longer* intend to use. Why? Because I want/need my points/$$ back. The entire time I'm acting in self-interest, and at the end of the day, it's in my interest to pay one flight's worth for one seat. I'm always going to end up cancelling any flight I won't use. That seat *will always* become available, so I reject the idea that I'm robbing them of inventory. SWA could probably even come up with a model to predict which seats will become available and overbook said flight, or adjust their ticket pricing models accordingly....oh wait...they already do that!!

What I am saying that my bookings are always aligned with my intentions...chock it up to 'game theory'.

Why does SWA think it knows my intentions better than I do, as their recent actions seem to suggest? It's a very slippery slope indeed.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not preventing flyers from doing this in the past can't be considered tacit approval? Even when in direct contrast with the T&Cs? If that's not looking the other way, I don't know what is. Basically my overall point is that Southwest is clearly not as full of "LUV" for the flyer/customer as it used to be.
So is it the store's fault that people get away with shoplifting? It's not the shoplifter's fault because the store failed to keep them from getting away with it?

There is even anecdotal evidence of SWA agents *encouraging* this practice in the past (i.e. see last post here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...-yourself.html)
The agent should have been fired. Changing a reservation at no charge because of special circumstances is something they can do.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:28 pm

So is it the store's fault that people get away with shoplifting? It's not the shoplifter's fault because the store failed to keep them from getting away with it?
Flying in a seat that I paid for with $$ or points is not shoplifting.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I understand that SWA is within it's rights to do what it is doing now per the T&C, but I appreciated their (previously) passenger-friendly stance.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Not it all.

I booked two flights and intend to fly on one of them.
I think Kevin AA's point is that, as you state, you only intend to fly one of them so one of them is speculative. Doesn't really matter which one but if you only intend to fly one of them then that contradicts your statement that you only book flights that you intend to fly.

Flying in a seat that I paid for with $$ or points is not shoplifting.
I think you're missing his point. He's not saying you are shoplifting. He's saying that if a store doesn't catch someone, that doesn't mean they are giving tacit approval to what that someone is doing.

Oh and sorry about this but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. It's "chalk" not "chock".
Old Mar 22, 2017, 2:29 pm

FYI - for now if you have a complicated same day / within 24 hour travel schedule its better to call in to book and explain to the rep what is going on. Yes, its kind of stupid, but the last rep I talked suggested this may help reservations stick.

I have some other close together travel where no cancellations have shown up yet so not sure what the formula is really. Similar to the ones that have been cancelled, but those have not been touched yet. Maybe it has something to do if you booked before or after the system change.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 3:46 pm

If the system that cancels duplicates is automatic, how would calling and booking over the phone help?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ursine1
If the system that cancels duplicates is automatic, how would calling and booking over the phone help?
easy enough for the script to cancel internet bookings but not agent bookings based on what I assume are a number of fields. IP address range, booking agent id, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:49 pm

If so, anyone could just call and book duplicates, completely defeating the automatic system.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Franklin7777
So you do a red-eye on JetBlue or something. If SW wants to discourage actual double bookings, that is their right. When they are cancelling a flight that is physically possible to take, how is it their right to judge the intent of the flyer?
Way to many people obessessing about "double" and "impossible" bookings. The COC, as they always have, permit WN to cancel all fraudulently-booked tickets, including those which it believes to have been booked without the intent to travel.

Southwest may cancel ... any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel.

Some may think that this will cause WN to lose customers. WN's marketing folks apparently don't just think but have made the business case for the reverse. By cleaning out the fraudulently-booked inventory and making it available for customers who really want the seats, WN will gain customers who, to date, have been disappointed because they can't find close-in inventory to book.

Those close-in customers will pay the the full freight, so doubtful that WN suffers.

Those making the fraudulent bookings are the customers who will either stop the practice, move to BS/Anytime for flexibility, or jump ship (which is fine w. WN). If they jump ship, they will fine that there is no other carrier which tolerates the practice.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I think for now the system will only cancel a duplicate if both flights are scheduled to be in the air at the same time. That's a conflict the customer cannot dispute.
Supporting evidence for this is absent.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by justhere

I think you're missing his point. He's not saying you are shoplifting. He's saying that if a store doesn't catch someone, that doesn't mean they are giving tacit approval to what that someone is doing.
Southwest *chose* not to catch people, until now. The technology has always existed (every other airline had it before SWA), and agents always knew this was going in. Stores that have cameras, prominent signs saying shoplifters will be prosecuted (i.e. not just in the "fine print"), security guards *are* trying to catch people. I reject the analogy on multiple grounds.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:58 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Often1
By cleaning out the fraudulently-booked inventory and making it available for customers who really want the seats, WN will gain customers who, to date, have been disappointed because they can't find close-in inventory to book.
Southwest's software already does an excellent job of predicting no-shows, changes, and cancellations. Alternate date and time reservations are undoubtedly a small fraction of the total seats dropped. I don't see how a small reduction in the ebb and flow of reservations would make a significant difference in profitability.

I did, however, explain one way in which customers could react in a way which increases the fraction of Southwest reservations dropped and which reduces revenue to Southwest.

These changes need to be studied keeping in mind the full chain of consequences, not just the direct effects.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.