Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN's new reservation system aggressively cancels duplicate bookings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:17 pm

The more obvious reason it's not done at booking is revenue generation. Cancellation after 24 hours = travel funds vs refund.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Only about 1 in a million passengers reads the CoC. And much of it is not really written in "plain English" but a combination of legalese and indefinite ambiguities.
They do so at their own risk.

It's not as though this is a practice which is acceptable anywhere else in the commercial aviation world. It's just that people have beat the system on WN and now they can't.

Don't forget that the people making these fraudulent bookings are not only depriving WN of revenue, but other passengers of access to inventory and cheaper inventory at that.

The guy holding onto two seats, knowing that he won't use both is holding onto a seat that somebody else might want. This leads to overbooking which leads to more uncertainty and so on.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Obviously, you also think that pigs should be able to fly.

I'm not clear why all these things should happen. The only 'should' is that they should reinstate when truly doable multiple reservations are made and cancelled.
​​​​​Because it is the ethical thing to do.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Because savvy travelers book the new reservation BEFORE they cancel the old one, in case the new reservation fails. I know, it's hard to believe that Southwest's website could show you a fare and then not let you buy it, but better safe than sorry.
Under this system, "savy travelers" run the risk of losing their money on the first reservation, because being "savy" transgressed one of Southwest's artificial rules.

​​
Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:16 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by agilepooch
I totally get that double-booking ties up inventory and it was a loophole that we've all gotten comfortable exploiting. But how about these more friendly options for your more aggressive enforcement, SWA:
1. Program your computers to keep me from making these "duplicate" arrangements in the first place.
2. Send me an email saying, "Hey, you've screwed up, fix it or we'll fix it for you."
1.) SWA's systems already famously crash under high load. Imagine how much worse it would be if that sort of checking had to be done for every booking.

2) I've received an "Oops, did you mean to make two similar reservations?" Email from a rental car company. That is definitely a much more customer-friendly approach than what SWA is doing now.

Co-terminals, of course, but even close-by airports that are not co-terminals (e.g. AUS/SAN, MCO/TPA, SAN/SNA) should count as duplicate reservations. Really, if done correctly, even airports a continent apart could be duplicate reservations if physically impossible to fly both. SEA-LAX and LGA-MCO with departures within roughly ten hours of each other would be impossible combinations.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:03 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
Don't forget that your DOB is on the reservation too.
You don't have to put in a real DoB when booking. CS&S can change it for you.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am not traveling much and dropped by to see what is going on. I have a rare trip next week that is highly variable on the return. In the past, I would have bought consecutive days. It looks like I will fall back to the "First Change is to BS" plan and make it more flexible.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 8:23 am

Same day. Different depart. Same destination -- auto canc?

Wow this could mess things up. With weather, business commitments it makes it challenging. With this new plan does it mean I will need to book two different carriers? Booking flights for November. Don't know if I will start in CT or NYC area. In past would be able. Will I only be able to book one flight per day?
TIA
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Wow this could mess things up. With weather, business commitments it makes it challenging. With this new plan does it mean I will need to book two different carriers? Booking flights for November. Don't know if I will start in CT or NYC area. In past would be able. Will I only be able to book one flight per day?
TIA
Questions like this illustrate how easy going WN used to be, and how many on this forum have no experience booking the other guys.

Fact is, if you ever book a United, American, Delta ticket the money is as good as GONE if you change your mind. (on a big $ ticket maybe "only" $200 penalty). Same goes for low cost carriers like Frontier and Spirit. only reason people are worried and freaking out is that Southwest's system was too easy to misuse/exploit in the past.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:01 pm

Got it

Originally Posted by expert7700
Questions like this illustrate how easy going WN used to be, and how many on this forum have no experience booking the other guys.

Fact is, if you ever book a United, American, Delta ticket the money is as good as GONE if you change your mind. (on a big $ ticket maybe "only" $200 penalty). Same goes for low cost carriers like Frontier and Spirit. only reason people are worried and freaking out is that Southwest's system was too easy to misuse/exploit in the past.
To be honest we always flew on "the big boys" and only started to fly southwest regularly 3ish years ago.
Want to make sure I have this right, can I still book one flight a day? We can manage that
Old Mar 15, 2017, 11:39 pm
Original Member

Actually, American does identify duplicate bookings when you try to book duplicate flights. Their system will not allow you to book the second flight until you've cancelled the first.

With some of "the other guys" (UA, AA), you have more flexibility (lower change fees) with points bookings than with revenue bookings. With DL, no changes are allowed to points bookings within 72 hours of flight time.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by cmjaffe
TIA
November??? It's only March! What's the rush?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by expert7700
... Southwest's system was too easy to misuse/exploit in the past.
Here's the thing- I stick with WN because I know that if I need to make changes, I won't get screwed. I don't think I've been on another carrier in going on 3 years now, even on OPM. If they were just like everyone else, I'd spread my travel out among everyone else- and that's $$ that WN wouldn't be getting. I'm sure I'm by no means the only such traveler.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are a passenger taking 2-3 seats out of inventory and then only using 1 of them, you are a passenger WN, just like the others won't mind losing.

The question is, where will you go? I can't think of a carrier which lets its passengers make fraudulent bookings. The fact is, WN never did. It just did not have the technical capacity to catch it. Now it does.

The problem everyone is trying to get around is paying a fare which is readily available, just higher, but which will always be available unless the flight is sold out.

Pray for another recession and maybe those good old days will come back !
Old Mar 19, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by agilepooch
I booked two round trips for Memorial Day weekend. One from OAK-DEN-OAK and one SFO-DEN-SFO. I hadn't decided which one to keep because ... so many reasons ... airport shuttle schedule (at both ends), dogsitting schedules, drive vs bus, etc.

I was stunned this morning when I received a cancellation notice for the SFO-DEN-SFO trip. I called and spent an hour on the phone sorting it out. I was told:
1. "The computer sees OAK and SFO as the same, so it identified this as a duplicate." Um, NOT. OAK and SFO are definitely not the same, any more than Burbank, Long Beach, Ontario, Orange County are the same as LAX.
2. "When the computer decides which one to cancel, it will cancel the more expensive one." Um, NOT - I ultimately canceled the OAK-DEN-OAK version and after applying the refunds to my reinstated SFO trip, ended up with $50 in travel credits because the SFO option was cheaper

I totally get that double-booking ties up inventory and it was a loophole that we've all gotten comfortable exploiting. But how about these more friendly options for your more aggressive enforcement, SWA:
1. Program your computers to keep me from making these "duplicate" arrangements in the first place.
2. Send me an email saying, "Hey, you've screwed up, fix it or we'll fix it for you."

I'd have been happy with either one of those options. But arbitrarily cancelling a round-trip, and choosing the wrong one? NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!
This happened to me. Going to New England in Sept. Flight out there is a JetBlue redeye. Booked a one-way Boston to California Sept 6 with points a few weeks ago. Family reunion plans are evolving, so I recently booked another one-way (also with points) Manchester (MHT) to California Sept 7. A couple days ago received cancellation email for the BOS-California one-way without explanation. Stunned (I thought maybe someone had hacked my email to get my confirm # to mess with me!), and honestly not sure why the flight was cancelled, I called (1 hour on the phone) and they explained that new booking system is catching these so-called "double bookings". Luckily they sorted it out for me, I got my BOS flight back, and didn't lose any points. I still can't believe it. No warning, two flights from different cities, not even the same day! I don't trust them to honor a basic booking anymore. I agree, NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Anyway, going to burn up my remaining SWA points and cancel my SWA credit card. I see no reason to seek out and fly Southwest if there is nothing that distinguishes them from the other majors. Delta, United, etc typically have better fares, better flight options (redyes available), and "bags fly 'free'" means nothing to a light packer like me. I used to also look to Southwest first -- this new policy/enforcement is a shame and they are losing a dedicated customer. I never considered it a "loophole", but rather a benefit that made Southwest the best airline in the sky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.