Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

Either buy early bird or fly an airline with assigned seats.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:27 am

The ABC story says "The gate agent allegedly asked Watson and his two children to step aside and wait until the rest of the A-list members board."

Let's say that the Operations Agent actually said or meant at the end of the A group, in which case she was already bending the rules for family boarding, with no children under 5.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by flyventure
Dumbest comment I read today.

He is free to say what he wants, but there is a proper way to file a complaint and get it handled. People think they can say whatever and get away with it, sorry it doesn't work that way. You are free to say what you will, but that doesn't mean you get away without any repercussions.

If it were me I would have denied boarding, refunded the full cost of the tickets, and told them to find another airline. Douche bag mentality needs to be put into check and some just think because they have a certain status that they get to have their way all the time. It doesn't work like that. If he would have followed the rules like everyone else, instead of thinking himself more important than everyone else on the aircraft, this would have been a non-issue.

I also echo the comments on how the TV station was called on such a non-story. This guy is chasing attention.
How old are you? You do realize twitter is now a very good method for airing grievances, or getting assistance from companies. Most airlines, even encourage it. DLAssist, etc. They are all very responsive to customers comments.
If you have half a brain, you know Kim S did NOT feel threatened at all. She was power-tripping.
With all that said, I applaud her for following the rules, and not allowing this guy to break the rules. She just shouldn't have power-tripped his benign comments.

PS Pretty rude to call others comments dumb. Why dumb? Because it's a different opinion than yours. That's dumb!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:47 am
dc2
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I'm sure there are families that don't fly on SWA for that reason, but if I had to guess I don't think that is part of SWA's marketing plan---either buy EBCI or fly another airline...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List

It's not part of their marketing plan because it is not appealing. Doesn't mean it is false though. If it is that important to be guaranteed a seat together than those are two options.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
More evidence that WN boarding procedures require an overhaul - either go back to the old first come, first serve (like plastic boarding cards), or something similar to the rest of the industry. WN created this monster when the system was monetized, time to fix it.

First step would be to assign sequential boarding positions for immediate family (same last name), require EBCI for ALL people traveling together - no just one. This would resolve a VAST majority of the current issues.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Many of us ONLY fly WN when we have NO OTHER OPTION; that attitude worked when WN was a low fare carrier, flying to secondary airports. When WN made aggressive moves to force out competition, such incidences are inevitable.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:25 am

The beautiful thing about social media is that this is EXACTLY the type of situation where it empowers the customer.

Let's say this happened 10 or 15 years ago. The guy gets into an argument with the GA / Ops Agent, and feels she was rude to him. Maybe his issue isn't so much with the answer but the way she gave it / treated him. What are his options?

- Call customer service? Sure, and sit on hold for who knows how long, possibly reaching a call center agent who is not empowered to do anything.

- Ask for a supervisor at the gate? Sure, and watch his plane pull away in the meantime.

- Tell his friends and family? This is what most people did. You'd form a small tribe of people refusing to fly SWA, but every company would have a similar pocket, and for the most part, they would cancel each other out.

- Write a letter? Ok, maybe this might get you somewhere, but the customer has little to no leverage, and resolution might not come for weeks if at all.

- Contact a news station? No one is going to want to get involved in a simple verbal dispute between a customer service agent and a customer without some kind of "twist" making it newsworthy.

It is precisely because of the existence of social media, and the fact that he smartly tweeted his experience, that this is a story.

I'm sure a lot of you are thinking "Wait a second, how smart could that be if it got him pulled of the flight?"... I'd argue that while it created a lot of stress for this guy and his family, it's good for airline customers in general:

- It is precisely because of the tweet "angle", and the deletion of it, that this is a national story.

- It provides feedback on his experience to anyone and everyone that cares to look at SWA's twitter feed. That includes any employee, and any customer. Perhaps if he had escalated to a direct supervisor, they would have covered for the employee instinctively. An executive in another part of the company might be more interested in hearing the customer's side of what happened.

- It was likely cathartic to the customer. One issue with company-created feedback loops is they are opaque to the customer. You give them your feedback, it disappears into the black box, and at best you might get some points or a voucher. In this case, the customer knows that his voice is at least being heard.

- Most importantly, it creates a piece of direct, written feedback for the specific employee involved. Maybe she had past incidents and had been previously warned, which is why she was so insistent he delete the tweet? If she was an outstanding employee, one piece of negative feedback is not going to impact anything.

Like anything else in life, there are good customer service agents, and there are not so good ones. I'm actually amazed at some of the situations I've seen good airline employees defuse. All of us have bosses, and most of us get some kind of subjective performance review by them at one point or another. The customer is the ultimate boss. Anytime they're willing to give feedback, it should be valued.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I would not be surprised if someone at WN had bent rules for him before. That's the problem with bending rules; people start to think of that as an entitlement or normal deal. We have all heard "They let me do this last time" repeatedly.

From the ABC story online:

"A Southwest representative called Watson after the incident, and informed him that A-list members' priority treatment doesn't apply to family members.

"I looked on their website and I didn't find any explicit rule," Watson said."

Must not have searched too hard. The Google search string

family boarding site:southwest.com

brings up the list of boarding rules as link 1. #7 is the "explicit rule" he is looking for:

"An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the "A" group has boarded and before the "B" group begins boarding. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group."

Admittedly, there is some of the normal WN T&C ambiguity there. He is being told to board as an A and I think we can agree that it makes no sense to leave little kids alone in the gate area. But if the GA or OA tells you to board after A, that's what you do.

And his kids are both older than 4 anyway. Case closed.

Searching the A-List benefits shows no exception to the above.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jul 24, 2014 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wonder what would have happened to him if he'd waited until after his trip to post the exact same tweet?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
My guess is the GA wanted her name removed because it was not the first time she had had bad press on social media which is why she wanted to make sure it was removed.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I would not be surprised if someone at WN had bent rules for him before. That's the problem with bending rules; people start to think of that as an entitlement or normal deal.

From the ABC story online:

"A Southwest representative called Watson after the incident, and informed him that A-list members' priority treatment doesn't apply to family members.

"I looked on their website and I didn't find any explicit rule," Watson said."

Must not have searched too hard. The Google search string

family boarding site:southwest.com

brings up the list of rules as link 1. #7 is the "explicit rule" he is looking for:

"An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the "A" group has boarded and before the "B" group begins boarding. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group."

Admittedly, there is some of the normal WN T&C ambiguity there, where with that last sentence you could debate whether "those Customers" includes minor children, since children presumably cannot agree to T&Cs themselves. But if the GA or OA tells you to board after A, that's what you do.

And his kids are both older than 4 anyway. Case closed.

Searching the A-List benefits shows no exception to the above.
Why do people (Southwest's media department included) keep mentioning Family Boarding? Family Boarding doesn't apply here. At all. His children are over 4.

The section that does apply is this one:

Can groups assigned to different boarding positions board together?
Yes. However, in order to maintain the integrity of the boarding process, we ask that earlier boarding positions board with the later positions. For example, if a passenger is assigned position A16 and wants to board with a passenger assigned position A45, the passenger holding the A16 boarding pass should board with the A45 passenger.
While this incident opens up a bigger conversation about Southwest's unique boarding system (and the issues it creates), and their treatment of elite passengers, ultimately that not the point here. At all.

The point is that an employee made a passenger delete a tweet as a requirement for travel.

Which is 100%, unequivocally wrong.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Wonder what would have happened to him if he'd waited until after his trip to post the exact same tweet?
Most likely, he would have received a reply to his tweet from Southwest, promising to do better in the future and thanking him for his loyalty.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ursine1
Why do people (Southwest's media department included) keep mentioning Family Boarding? Family Boarding doesn't apply here. At all. His children are over 4.
Because 99+% of the normal travelers in the world would immediately think of "Family Boarding" as being the term to use in a situation where you are boarding with minor children, no?

Might be different if the cut-off were 13 instead of 4.

The fact that we here know different and that WN has b!tched things up is kind of beside the point.

4 is too young. But WN wants to sell EBCI.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:03 am

This seems like one of the consequences of inconsistent enforcement of the boarding rules.

Not to excuse the apparently bad behavior on either side.

I also think the Southwest Family Boarding Policy is somewhat defective

An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the "A" group has boarded and before the "B" group begins boarding. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group.
This rule is also inconsistently applied, many times much older children are allowed to board during family boarding.

Seems to me the age limit should be the same as for a UM, after all if a child can't travel unaccompanied why would you split the parent from the child?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.