Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:19 am
dc2
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott: LTP

Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
The gate agent was following Southwest's policy telling him to wait to board with the children's assigned position. She was way over the line on her reaction to his tweet.

This policy is ridiculous though. I think the age cut off is six. They enforce this to make families purchase early boarding and it has put Southwest at the very bottom when it comes to how the airlines treat families or anyone traveling together.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:00 am

If the facts are as reported bad behavior all the way round.

As A-List the guy had to know the rules.

However the GA was over reacting.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:31 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Sounds like the passenger was definitely more wrong than the Southwest agent in my opinion. Publicly humiliating a Southwest employee because they would not break the rules for you is a big and I have a difficult time faulting Southwest for taking action against such a customer. The biggest fault I have with WN is that they gave him the option of deleting his tweet and flying on them, they should have just refunded his tickets and told him that his behavior was not acceptable.

Edited to add: I would like to clarify that I think the passenger's behavior was over the line because he specifically named the employee, if he had not done that my answer would be different (i.e., if the tweet simply excluded the first name and last initial of the agent).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:32 am

Overreacting by the gate agent definitely and also an A-Lister who thinks too highly of himself. They both need to go to their corners for a time out.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:35 am

his quote from the article

I was left, you know, very upset, very embarrassed, very humiliated,” Watson said

What was he trying to do to the agent?

without taking sides I am not sure what he thought would happen if he tweeted the experience. Anyone who posts stuff on social media should expect feedback positive or negative so he should only blame himself. If he had a legitimate beef with the agent he should have contacted WN through the proper channels and not aired his laundry in public.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
his quote from the article

I was left, you know, very upset, very embarrassed, very humiliated,” Watson said
If I was embarrassed and humiliated about something I certainly wouldn't be giving a television interview about it ... which of course naturally leads to the question of why a television station even knew to interview him.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
If I was embarrassed and humiliated about something I certainly wouldn't be giving a television interview about it ... which of course naturally leads to the question of why a television station even knew to interview him.
you do if you are looking for even more compensation from the airline.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:57 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Those are the rules and they apply to everyone, regardless of status. I choose to purchase ebci when my children travel with me and it's always worked out fine. This guys a jerk!

I don't fault the GA, she was doing her job unlike a lot of others that let stuff slide. As someone else said though I probably would have just refunded the guys money and been done with it.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:13 am

During the days of Herb, the Captain was supposed to get involved in on-board removals. The guidance was that the Captain could talk to both parties and figure out the conflict and make a decision. In this case I think the jerk would have been counseled but allowed to fly, and the CSA would have remained upset. But today, maybe the guidelines have changed as to who makes the final decision on something like this. This guy tried to push the envelope and didn't like not getting his way. I would like to see SWA not cave on his demands for more pesos.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Beckles
Sounds like the passenger was definitely more wrong than the Southwest agent in my opinion. Publicly humiliating a Southwest employee because they would not break the rules for you is a big and I have a difficult time faulting Southwest for taking action against such a customer. The biggest fault I have with WN is that they gave him the option of deleting his tweet and flying on them, they should have just refunded his tickets and told him that his behavior was not acceptable.

Edited to add: I would like to clarify that I think the passenger's behavior was over the line because he specifically named the employee, if he had not done that my answer would be different (i.e., if the tweet simply excluded the first name and last initial of the agent).
Agreed. It was the naming of an individual that puts the tweet over the line.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
"Watson says he’s not satisfied with their response. All three received $50 vouchers, but Watson says he won’t fly Southwest Airlines again."

Since you won't be experiencing the horrors of SWA anymore, I'll take those pesky vouchers off your hands.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Wow, I don't know what all of you responders are on - the GA was out of line and I would have severely punished her for her behavior if I was her supervisor.

It's unclear whether the GA let them board with the father's boarding group or with theirs - probably, the latter, which caused the remark from the Dad. I see nothing wrong with the remark he made. He said she was the rudest agent and identified her by name and gate. When you complain about someone, you want them to be identified, so proper action is taken. The GA TOTALLY overacted by considering that to be a threat and DEMANDING to have the tweet deleted or have the passengers removed. She was so on a power trip - I don't know Kimberly S's track record but if it were me, I would fire her for that. She clearly overstepped.

Now, if she wants to sue the passenger for defamation for calling her "the rudest agent", go ahead, that's totally fine. But I doubt she'd win anything on such a lawsuit.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by LetsGoToo
The gate agent was following Southwest's policy telling him to wait to board with the children's assigned position. She was way over the line on her reaction to his tweet.

This policy is ridiculous though. I think the age cut off is six. They enforce this to make families purchase early boarding and it has put Southwest at the very bottom when it comes to how the airlines treat families or anyone traveling together.
The age cutoff is 4, and while the GA may have overreacted, I applaud her for applying the rules.

This guy seems to have been looking for trouble
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:41 am

The GA was definitely out of line, but the passenger never admits he was wrong on the A-List/children rules, does he?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.