Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest speaks. Kinda.

Reaction to Recent Social Media Concerns

Interesting spin.
  • They reference "family boarding procedures" (and link to the policy), although those don't apply in this case.
  • They say the decision was not based solely on the tweet, but don't mention what it was also based on.
  • The mention "successful resolution" without saying that it was achieved by requiring deletion of the tweet.
  • They say they are thoroughly investigating the situation, which might lead one to believe additional information is forthcoming, but that's pretty unlikely.
Yes, it is & yes, you are certainly correct.

Nothing to see here.

Now move along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsvbYKr19ng&sns=em
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Interesting thread, but if I am Mr. A-lister, this is how I think. I travel often for business, and I'm loyal to SW, I have my small kids with me, and I want to sit together. Asking the GA to allow us to board together is not a big deal, as one of us is going to sit in a freaking middle seat anyway. Who should care? We have all tried to stretch the rules (let he who has not sinned cast the first stone). All those on this thread espousing SW's right to enforce the rules to the Nth degree miss the entire point of the SW experience (as they would have us believe it). I am totally in the corner of the father here, having travelled many times with my kids, and having airlines (particularly Air Canada) go above and beyond to allow us to sit together.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
Interesting thread, but if I am Mr. A-lister, this is how I think. I travel often for business, and I'm loyal to SW, I have my small kids with me, and I want to sit together. Asking the GA to allow us to board together is not a big deal, as one of us is going to sit in a freaking middle seat anyway. Who should care? We have all tried to stretch the rules (let he who has not sinned cast the first stone). All those on this thread espousing SW's right to enforce the rules to the Nth degree miss the entire point of the SW experience (as they would have us believe it). I am totally in the corner of the father here, having travelled many times with my kids, and having airlines (particularly Air Canada) go above and beyond to allow us to sit together.
No one is saying you can't board together. You can't however use your A-List to take advantage of the situation and cheat out those passengers who are playing by the rules. The rules are there for a reason to stop abuse from spiraling out of control. Just like blue sleeve abuse that was going rampant to the point they had to get rid of them all and go to a different disposable system. If you are worried about being able to all sit together, get EBCI for everyone. However it really isn't that hard and FAs will work with you if there is ever an issue to get everyone together.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:04 am

What a waste of time to delay a plane for a Tweet. Couldn't the agent be doing better things with her time than letting a Tweet ruin her day? I mean come on a passenger had a complaint about his children under the A+ Status and the agent clearly did not know how to think outside of the box.

All the agent had to do was to let the A+ member and his minor children board together. You don't want the kids and parents sitting in totally different locations in the unlikely event of an emergency.

This Gate Agent should rethink working for Southwest or an Airline .Heck remember this Sticks and Stone may break my bones but words won't hurt me. There was not one word that would be deemed threatening or unprofessional.

Clearly Southwest sided with the passenger as they apologized and gave the travers a $50 voucher for each family member.

I think the Gate Agent may be looking somewhere else for a job because working in Customer Service is a tough job. The passenger did not give the full name of the gate agent just the first name and last initial and Gate#. This is so Southwest can follow up.

The Gate Agent forcing the passenger to delete the Tweet is not cool. The Gate Agent will have a chance to explain later but the priority now is to board the plane and send it off on time not to delay the flight over some non issue. Gee can't the agent take some criticism?

If I were the Gate Agent and the passenger wanted to report me on Tweet I would have said Please feel free to do so as we can learn from these experiences and I apologize for not allowing your Children to board with you as an A+ member. We can change our policies and I'm glad you are bringing this to the attention of our Social Media Team.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:30 am

I feel that the GA was flexing her muscle and may have just been having a bad day when the customer in question "crossed the line." It reminds me of the SNL skit in the early 90's about Total ....... Airlines. Perhaps a change of employment is in order?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgu...nes_shortfilms
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by freeflyin
The age cutoff is 4, and while the GA may have overreacted, I applaud her for applying the rules.

This guy seems to have been looking for trouble
Does a 4 years old child can wait and board by himself ??

DYKWIM PAX + DYKWIM GA + money maker /not kid friendly boarding Policy = 10 pages+ thread
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:37 am
dc2
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott: LTP
Originally Posted by flyventure
However it really isn't that hard and FAs will work with you if there is ever an issue to get everyone together.
I would rather have a family board before all the seats together are taken. Someone is asked to move to accommodate the family (and the flight will be delayed until it has been accomplished). So, someone with a lower boarding number may eventually end up with a less than optimum seating choice to accommodate.

And on the EBCI--what happens when everyone (who isn't already A-list or BS) pays for EBCI? Back in June, one of our traveling companions paid for EBCI and received a B-18 boarding pass. What happens when that is CXX?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
You know what as someone who likes to make fun of WN's boarding process , I will actually say that it is no big deal to let the guy take his kids with him. Though one could also ask why can't the guy board with families after the A group. He can still find 3 seats together at the back of the plane.
This is WN's problem. If the guy was traveling with two grownup kids, guess what, he could have boarded early, saved two seats for his kids and the FA would take his side(at least from what I observed on my recent flight where she let some guy reserve row 10 for his buddies and actually used the word TATTLETALE to comment on anyone who would object). So this guy gets a worse deal by traveling with younger kids. So if the FA is going to let people like him reserve seats, the GAs might as well let the guy take his kids along.

I don't have any sympathy for either side here. Both overreacted. The GA could have stuck to her line that he board with the family boarding section, but she had no business doing what she did. And why was she checking tweets during boarding? As for the passenger, I understand perfectly what he was trying to do and the Ops agent could have given him a break. But he should also understand he was asking for a favor, and it wasn't his right to have his kids board with him at that position.

How about this as a compromise? If you board with one kid, you keep your position in line. If you have more than one kid, you get top priority over others in Family boarding. Hell, you might as well add more rules since WN seems to relish in adding more rules .

Last edited by saneman; Jul 24, 2014 at 6:08 am
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:01 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by Reisen
As a customer service executive, it absolutely boggles my mind reading this, and the other comments that supported the GA. Granted, you are in the minority, most people either disapproved or pointed out there might be a second side to the story. But the line of thinking you posted (and ludicrously called someone else out) is just mind blowing.

What on earth would make you think that a company employee can retaliate against a customer for giving negative feedback of the service they provided?

Sure, the companies provide official ways to provide complaints, but customers are by no means required to use them. They are free to comment on their experience to their friends, their coworkers, the people standing in line next to them... And OF COURSE they are free to write about it on social media.

Can you imagine what would happen if airlines let employees kick passengers off flights every time they complained about poor service, either in person, or online? No public company is going to tolerate that kind of behavior from its employees, whether or not the guy posted on social media, whether or not he named the employee.

I guarantee you SouthWest execs are face-palming over this right now, and preparing memos to their workforce reminding them when it is and isn't appropriate to deny a passenger boarding.
Best post on this incident. GA tries to purge a service complaint by threatening a pax. GA needs retraining. The rules need to be enforced, but it needs to be done in a professional manner.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:08 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Does a 4 years old child can wait and board by himself ??

DYKWIM PAX + DYKWIM GA + money maker /not kid friendly boarding Policy = 10 pages+ thread
No one suggested that a 4 year old board alone. The rule is 4 and under for family boarding. Everyone else is free to board together if they wish- at the position of the latest BP.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
This will come back to bite SWA in the form of bad publicity which will be spread by word of mouth. Just saw the story on a nationwide TV news program.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:56 am
NLO

Programs: AA
It's been reported by the customer that his requests for "early boarding" for his children on previous trips had been accommodated by SWA. Not that I fly SWA much, but I too have been accommodated by SWA with this exact same request when I've flown with my daughter. Whether or not anyone agrees with the customers "ask" is moot. What's important is the retaliation from the SWA agent after he gave negative feedback via twitter. It's despicable. I don't believe the employee should be fired, but coached on how to respond or not respond in the future when faced with similar situations. If these types things are allowed to happen, it may be one us elite FT'ers that gets removed from a plane for no good reason.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by dc2
I would rather have a family board before all the seats together are taken. Someone is asked to move to accommodate the family (and the flight will be delayed until it has been accomplished). So, someone with a lower boarding number may eventually end up with a less than optimum seating choice to accommodate.
Families board at the end of the A group, regardless of their boarding pass. It would be virtually impossible for all the seats together to already be taken at that point.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by flyventure
No one is saying you can't board together. You can't however use your A-List to take advantage of the situation and cheat out those passengers who are playing by the rules. The rules are there for a reason to stop abuse from spiraling out of control. Just like blue sleeve abuse that was going rampant to the point they had to get rid of them all and go to a different disposable system. If you are worried about being able to all sit together, get EBCI for everyone. However it really isn't that hard and FAs will work with you if there is ever an issue to get everyone together.
This hasn't been my experience recently. I've seen once where the FA refused to help and another time the FA half heartedly asked for someone to move. Both times a dad with a little girl 10-12 didn't sit together.

There is a simple solution to this. Children 16 and under can board with families during family boarding. Southwest won't do this because they want families to purchase early boarding. That's really why this policy is in place.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL Sil, UA Sil, Hyatt Global, MR Amb, Hilton Diamond, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by trouble747
Families board at the end of the A group, regardless of their boarding pass. It would be virtually impossible for all the seats together to already be taken at that point.
Family boarding only applies when the children are 4 or under. This policy doesn't help a parent with an 8 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.