Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Excerpt from article at

http://abcnews.go.com/US/family-boot...ry?id=24685645

Watson was then approached by a flight attendant, who refused to tell him the reason for the broadcast, but said: “You need to exit the aircraft immediately.”

“So I walked by the people who we just walked by to get to our seats,” Watson said.

Watson then ran into the same gate agent he had tweeted about.

“She [the agent] said I was a safety threat,” Watson said. “I was shocked. There was no use of profanity, there were no threats made. How was I a safety threat?”

Watson said the agent threatened to call the cops if he didn’t delete the tweet that included her first name and initial of last name.

It appears that it WAS the same GA that engaged the pax.

Originally Posted by FindAWay
As pointed out by others more than a single person from WN was involved. So, it wasn't necessarily the same GA later engaging the pax.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:04 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
There's a special place in hell for those that abuse their A-List powers.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Would that be next door to the GA that abuse their powers???

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
There's a special place in hell for those that abuse their A-List powers.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
While I agree that it was probably an overreaction of the part of the GA, Watson is disingenuous to state that he didn't know the policy and it wasn't stated on the website. It is there is black and white-an A lister should know better

"Can groups assigned to different boarding positions board together?

Yes. However, in order to maintain the integrity of the boarding process, we ask that earlier boarding positions board with the later positions. For example, if a passenger is assigned position A16 and wants to board with a passenger assigned position A45, the passenger holding the A16 boarding pass should board with the A45 passenger."
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:39 pm
NLO

Programs: AA
<start sarcasm>. SWA gate agent Kim S is clearly in the right. She's a swell employee, did SWA a solid by following procedures and is a credit to not only SWA, but FT elitist type members and the human race. <end sarcasm>.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Just another Gate Lice, with his kids, 6 and 9,

We have all seen Gate Lice, and Kittle's,

Total lack of respect, no wonder kids grow up to be cry babies.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:54 pm

I am aghast that anyone would think that the passenger had any requirement to delete the tweet just because an airline employee asked. It is perfectly legal and appropriate to declare an employee rude an a**hole, etc (see e.g. Penn & Teller B*llS**t and why they used that term).

To the slavish rule followers, if a FA orders me to hand over the cash in my wallet am I required to comply?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Nothing wrong with the GA making him wait to board.

She should be fired for her reaction to the tweet. Total misuse of power. It doesn't matter how much of an ....... the guy was. He was not a danger.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:40 pm

^: I agree--FA should definitely be fired..

Originally Posted by SD_Flyer
Nothing wrong with the GA making him wait to board.

She should be fired for her reaction to the tweet. Total misuse of power. It doesn't matter how much of an ....... the guy was. He was not a danger.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by trouble747
First post!

"Freedom of speech" is irrelevant here because Southwest is not the government. Private entities do not owe you the 'freedom' to say what you want. The First Amendment only offers protection from government prohibitions on speech.
Fine, right to refuse business. Would they actually spend the time to remove the passenger, refund his ticket, and remove all the luggage?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
I am aghast that anyone would think that the passenger had any requirement to delete the tweet just because an airline employee asked. It is perfectly legal and appropriate to declare an employee rude an a**hole, etc (see e.g. Penn & Teller B*llS**t and why they used that term).

To the slavish rule followers, if a FA orders me to hand over the cash in my wallet am I required to comply?

That depends. Do you carry more cash in your wallet or in your pocket?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
It's an Ops Agent, not a Gate Agent.

IMHO the Ops Agent would have been justified to demand deletion of her name from the Tweet for safety from third party nut cases. The rest of the Tweet could be retained or reposted without any safety issue.

It's possible that the Ops Agent made exactly this limited request but the customer misheard, misremembered, or misreported it.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It's an Ops Agent, not a Gate Agent.

IMHO the Ops Agent would have been justified to demand deletion of her name from the Tweet for safety from third party nut cases. The rest of the Tweet could be retained or reposted without any safety issue.

It's possible that the Ops Agent made exactly this limited request but the customer misheard, misremembered, or misreported it.
The name as tweeted included only first name and last initial. Many, many, many tweets referencing Southwest include employee's names; Southwest will often reply to the tweet directly… I've never seen a request to remove a tweet because an employee was named. Southwest's official Facebook policy is to delete posts that include the name of an employee, but those with compliments are generally not deleted (as well as many that include complaints.)

While what you suggest is possible -- anything is possible -- there is no evidence to support it.

Why do employees wear name tags?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:53 pm

Just because SWA gave the family flight vouchers and apologized doesn't mean they know the Ops Agent was in the wrong. SWA does that whenever someone complains.

There must be more to the story that the passenger isn't telling.

Too bad we will never hear the other side.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:14 pm

Southwest speaks. Kinda.

Reaction to Recent Social Media Concerns

July 23 2014 -
Reaction to Recent Social Media Concerns

Southwest Airlines appreciates and is active in social media, and it is not our intent to stifle Customer feedback. Social media is a very valuable avenue for engaging with our Customers.

On Sunday, July 20, a Southwest Airlines Employee and Customer were having a conversation that escalated about the airline's family boarding procedures. The Customer was briefly removed from flight #2347 from Denver to Minneapolis/St. Paul to resolve the conversation outside of the aircraft and away from the other Passengers. Our decision was not based solely on a Customer's tweet. Following a successful resolution, the Customer and his family were able to continue on the flight to Minneapolis. We are thoroughly investigating the situation. We have reached out to the Customer and offered vouchers as a gesture of goodwill.
Interesting spin.
  • They reference "family boarding procedures" (and link to the policy), although those don't apply in this case.
  • They say the decision was not based solely on the tweet, but don't mention what it was also based on.
  • The mention "successful resolution" without saying that it was achieved by requiring deletion of the tweet.
  • They say they are thoroughly investigating the situation, which might lead one to believe additional information is forthcoming, but that's pretty unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.