Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family Asked To Leave Southwest Flight After Tweet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:22 am

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by CarolinaCoopers
^
I hope the GA gets a promotion.
So you're a fan of a retaliatory and aggressive society, rather than a civilized one?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by MilesRookie

Two wrongs don't make a right, although I wish the GA had simply handled this at boarding and made them all board in the correct position.
She did.

Then she had them pulled back off the plane, threatened with police action and made to delete the negative tweet as a requirement to re-board and continue travel.

That was when the incident escalated, causing the current sh!tstorm.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:37 am

IVDB?

Couldn't this guy claim involuntary denied boarding?

Then the whole thing could be some pretty nice compensation for him and a DOT fine for Southwest.

There would be no media circus which is another benefit.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
Couldn't this guy claim involuntary denied boarding?

Then the whole thing could be some pretty nice compensation for him and a DOT fine for Southwest.

There would be no media circus which is another benefit.
I believe the DOT IDB rules only apply in oversold situations.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Good lord: 245 comments on this in two days? #whatisthisworldcomingto

Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
SWA is and has always been the industry whiners....expecting special treatment and expect everything to go their way. Things are now coming home to roost and people are starting to see them for what they are - a below average airline with brilliant marketing.

We live in a world of social media and all companies need to learn to deal with that.

The employee was trying to get her name out of the twitter feed and should not have done what she did. Since she was enforcing the rules correctly, she had no reason to do that. Dealing with DYKWIA's is part of the job, sorry.

Glad I don't have to fly this mess. I watched airline the other night for the first time and it is even worse than I thought.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Wow. The milk of human kindness is really coming out for children on this thread.
Why should this thread be any different from any other thread on FT that mentions children?

Mike
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
Why should this thread be any different from any other thread on FT that mentions children?

Mike
Yeah, I guess. I still haven't grown up yet (according to anyone I've ever dated), so I have a little sympathy for them

To all those saying that twitter is whining and that there's an official customer service path, have any of you ever tried using the official customer service path?

The point of a legacy style customer service form is to prevent your customers from getting service -- get them to go along to get along when things go wrong and then fob them off with platitudes later.

As one or two people have mentioned in this thread, twitter is hugely empowering for customers. Just as we use TripAdvisor and Yelp to shine light on good and bad customer experiences, twitter is a powerful tool to bring actual actionable attention to poor customer service. And whether WN actually believes in customer service is beside the point, they need to provide it in order to continue selling tickets.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I watched airline the other night for the first time and it is even worse than I thought.
2005 called. It wants its TV show back.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Listen, everyone, it is pretty clear that there is more to this story than the DWKWIA Dad wants to tell, and WN can't tell that part of the story without appearing to be beating up on him.

Bottom line is, everyone should be a little more polite.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Listen, everyone, it is pretty clear that there is more to this story than the DWKWIA Dad wants to tell, and WN can't tell that part of the story without appearing to be beating up on him.

#ThisGuyGetsIt

I do like reading all the madness and hyperbole of FT on these threads

"what about the Children????"
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage

Yes, there's likely more to the story than will ever be told. And yes, the world would be a better place if everyone would be more polite.

But, bottom line, its indefensible to suggest in any way that the agent was at all justified in pulling a family off the plane, threatening police action, and forcing the deletion of a negative social media comment as a requirement for reboarding and continued travel. Period.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Lear 60, C-421, Beech A-36
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
Yeah, I guess. I still haven't grown up yet (according to anyone I've ever dated), so I have a little sympathy for them

To all those saying that twitter is whining and that there's an official customer service path, have any of you ever tried using the official customer service path?
You are right. This is 2014. If a company sets up a Twitter account, it becomes a defacto customer service path. Its not to simply garner accolades...both side come home to roost. Twitter accounts become fair game.

Most millennials have no idea what a customer service path looks like in the traditional sense.

For those rigidly defending SWAs actions, maybe its time to take a look at the policy. I would be reluctant to leave my 6 and 9 year olds at the gate while I board. If I've earned the right to board early, why would I be penalized because on this flight I bought 3 tickets rather than just one.

When companies create and promote FF loyalty programs, is it no wonder the A-listers, Diamond Medallions and Million Milers have a sense of entitlement? After all, they have been told (and wrongfully believe) they are special, so it does not fit the narrative when a gate Nazi gets her panties all twisted up.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:03 pm

Echoing others, both were in the wrong, GA/supervisor for blowing it out of proportion and the passenger for trying to skirt the ruled that he should know as an A-lister. That being said, on our last flight when my A-list + wife was went to board in her low A position (while our toddler and I waited off to the side for family boarding) the ops agent stopped her to ask why she was carrying a car seat. When she pointed us out he waived us up to board with her (even with our B boarding passes). So I can see where the passenger may have received past mixed messages if he had had experiences like ours and hadn't flown much with the kids.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:23 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Just another upset seat saver, gate crashed.
GA normally ignore these type, this swish wanted to be noticed, so he could set an example for his kids in their future,
FA ignore them also, the rules are for others...

Welfare is everywhere, it is a way of life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.