Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by freeflyin
These are the two points in your post that reduce the credibility of other points of your experience.

I do have kids and I do understand the stresses of traveling with them, as well as the expenses involved. Neither of these complaints are the responsibility or the fault of your fellow travelers, and to assume that others should be forced to move or be inconvenienced in order that a family can sit together is inconsiderate.

That being said, I will (and have) move my seat to accommodate a family with young children, but if they display the entitled attitude, it is not going to happen.

Just as a suggestion-next time you fly with your 6 year old, simply line up with family boarding. Rarely will you be stopped.
Do they allow the entire family to board with family boarding? I thought it was just one parent and the eligible child(ren)?

Why does an entire family need to sit together? I totally understand one parent wanting to sit beside their child, but if the child is over four years old, why does the entire family have to sit together?

I have no issues moving around on an hour flight so ONE parent and a child can sit together usually if it's a case of a late connection, but if it's a four or five hour flight, I am not giving up an aisle seat for a middle seat so both parents can sit with their kid. When my kids were younger, I was content with just one of us sitting with the kids and if you are travelling with two kids unless it's an international bird with 4 across in the middle, you won't be sitting all together as a family anyway.

Before my wife had status and we would travel with just my son, if my upgrade cleared I gave her the seat up front and took her seat in Y with Reds Jr. What kills me on a legacy are these families that insist on sitting together yet if their upgrade(s) clear they have no problem sitting apart

Last edited by ILovetheReds; Jun 16, 2014 at 7:30 am
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Do they allow the entire family to board with family boarding? I thought it was just one parent and the eligible child(ren)?

Why does an entire family need to sit together? I totally understand one parent wanting to sit beside their child, but if the child is over four years old, why does the entire family have to sit together?

I have no issues moving around on an hour flight so ONE parent and a child can sit together usually if it's a case of a late connection, but if it's a four or five hour flight, I am not giving up an aisle seat for a middle seat so both parents can sit with their kid. When my kids were younger, I was content with just one of us sitting with the kids and if you are travelling with two kids unless it's an international bird with 4 across in the middle, you won't be sitting all together as a family anyway.
It is typical to see both parents and all accompanying children board together at family boarding.

I agree with you-moving seats so that the entire family can sit together isn't realistic. One parent and one young child.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Middle seat seems ideal for a little kid, freeing up room on both sides for adults. Literally no one cares if you save a middle; in fact, they are happy as it opens up an aisle/window elsewhere.

If desired, get situated, then let the kid move to the window for the more interesting parts of the flight, then back.

Can't imagine this not working out unless maybe you board with the Cs.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Most WN passengers understand that Southwest's "open seating" policy can separate families on flights, and for the most part I haven't seen anyone get all grumbly over seat saving. I usually fly alone and always ask if a seat is taken if it's empty but someone else is already in the row. It's just good manners. This week I'll be taken a flight with my wife and daughter, neither of which are A-list. I fully intend on grabbing an aisle somewhere and holding two seats for them.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Middle seat seems ideal for a little kid, freeing up room on both sides for adults. Literally no one cares if you save a middle; in fact, they are happy as it opens up an aisle/window elsewhere.

If desired, get situated, then let the kid move to the window for the more interesting parts of the flight, then back.

Can't imagine this not working out unless maybe you board with the Cs.
I think the complaint here is saving an entire row not 1 middle seat.

If a child is young enough they can't sit alone they should be boarding with their parent anyway and would be seating with them.

If someone tells me they are saving an aisle seat for someone boarding and there is another aisle seat available nearby not a big deal. In the OP's case there were only middle seats available and he paid for EBCI, so I don't blame him for insisting on that seat.

On the Delta and American boards there is a saying for people that whine about not getting their free upgrade WFBF (want first buy first). In this case if a couple of people want to sit together buy BS or EBCI
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Originally Posted by flyerfmaz
Most WN passengers understand that Southwest's "open seating" policy can separate families on flights, and for the most part I haven't seen anyone get all grumbly over seat saving. I usually fly alone and always ask if a seat is taken if it's empty but someone else is already in the row. It's just good manners. This week I'll be taken a flight with my wife and daughter, neither of which are A-list. I fully intend on grabbing an aisle somewhere and holding two seats for them.
You can "hold" two seats for them as long as no one challenges you on it. But if someone wants either of those two seats before your wife and daughter board, they are entitled to it.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing

I find it interesting......"most WN passengers understand that's families can get separated on a flight".......then you're last sentence basically saying you are not one of those passengers.......
Old Jun 16, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by antinseattle
I find it interesting......"most WN passengers understand that's families can get separated on a flight".......then you're last sentence basically saying you are not one of those passengers.......
That wasn't really my point. My point was simply that most WN passengers realize that the open seating boarding policy can create a situation where holding a seat for someone can happen for a reasonable cause. Most people aren't going to say "screw you, I could care less about your wife, I'm taking this seat".

However, if someone is going to save a seat, it's probably a good idea to make sure that those you're holding a seat for are at least EB, so there's still plenty of seats left on the aircraft and no one will be fussy. I purchased EB for both my wife and daughter, and they should be behind me in short order. If someone wants to be an impossible wretch over two seats when there are plenty of others left on the plane, I'll be happy to get up and move myself.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
That wasn't really my point. My point was simply that most WN passengers realize that the open seating boarding policy can create a situation where holding a seat for someone can happen for a reasonable cause. Most people aren't going to say "screw you, I could care less about your wife, I'm taking this seat".

However, if someone is going to save a seat, it's probably a good idea to make sure that those you're holding a seat for are at least EB, so there's still plenty of seats left on the aircraft and no one will be fussy. I purchased EB for both my wife and daughter, and they should be behind me in short order. If someone wants to be an impossible wretch over two seats when there are plenty of others left on the plane, I'll be happy to get up and move myself.

Gotcha. That wasn't implied in your post.....for all I know. They could be C17 and C18.....

Some people do get grouchy, but with so many open seats......as long as you don't save 2 exit row seats.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I find that my chances are actually better finding seating together on WN vs other airlines. It's pretty simple, either buy EBCI or don't be lazy and check in at T-24 and, in nearly all cases, you'll be OKAY.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

As the OP, let me just say that a teenager was saving a middle seat and the last aisle seat on the plane on about Row 8. I have no doubt that Dad put her up to it to maximize the sympathy vote.

When I called her ( and the FA) on it, magically an exit row aisle opened up, I believe courtesy of a WN non-rev.

And yes, I have moved most of my CP level flying to AS and B6, where I get an assigned seat, better snacks, and a lot less hassle. I now only fly WN a handful of times a year, and only when they are much cheaper than any alternative.

That said, the past 30+ pages had very spirited discussion, the usual sprinkling of snide remarks and ad hominem attacks usually found on FT from apologists, along with some very common sense solutions to the problem.

Interestingly enough, on B6, they use some of the ideas proposed in this thread to effectively deal with the issues that prompted this discussion.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Orwaid
As the OP, let me just say that a teenager was saving a middle seat and the last aisle seat on the plane on about Row 8. I have no doubt that Dad put her up to it to maximize the sympathy vote.

When I called her ( and the FA) on it, magically an exit row aisle opened up, I believe courtesy of a WN non-rev.

And yes, I have moved most of my CP level flying to AS and B6, where I get an assigned seat, better snacks, and a lot less hassle. I now only fly WN a handful of times a year, and only when they are much cheaper than any alternative.

That said, the past 30+ pages had very spirited discussion, the usual sprinkling of snide remarks and ad hominem attacks usually found on FT from apologists, along with some very common sense solutions to the problem.

Interestingly enough, on B6, they use some of the ideas proposed in this thread to effectively deal with the issues that prompted this discussion.
If a "child" is old enough to board without their parents then they are obviously old enough to sit alone or with just one parent.

And if they are going to save seats, save them in the back, not row 8, I'm surprised sitting that far up someone didn't call them out on it before.

I'm surprised WN allows NRSA's to preboard and take an exit row seat from someone that paid for BS or EBCI.

I realize a lot of people think WN's opening seating is great and love it, but I hate it. I like knowing where I'll be seated at and will have that seat regardless of I am the first person to board or board right before they shut the door. Assigned seating avoids all the sheena the OP went through.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I realize a lot of people think WN's opening seating is great and love it, but I hate it. I like knowing where I'll be seated at and will have that seat regardless of I am the first person to board or board right before they shut the door. Assigned seating avoids all the sheena the OP went through.
^^ Amen.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
^^ Amen.
+1, agree completely.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

I was just on AS, much appreciate the WN policy. That all being said, open seating or not, wherever I have the highest airline status, is my favorite airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.