Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by GottaLuvCruising
I would have taken the aisle seat beside this nut case just to foil his plot!
Should have as soon as he stopped drumming. But, I was in a window seat of a jammed plane. So, I stayed put.

If I see this behavior again, I will take one of the empty seats. Maybe I could even join in!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid
And for those that say "go fly some other airline, WN won't miss you", I would only say that I have already done so. Most of my CP-level travel is now split between AS (MVPG75K) and B6 (Mosaic); they cover most of my mid/transcon needs and my North/South needs. so now I only need to fly WN a handful of times a year versus the handful of times a week in the past. And yes, the seat-saving hassles are a major reason why.
I'm in exactly the same position. I made A+ by April of last year and then switched back to AA mostly permanently. I can't stand how Southwest treats its most elite and profitable customers (I pay mostly business select or anytime fares). They've likely lost $15k from me this year alone.

I only fly southwest when there is a really compelling direct flight on a specific route. Or when I'm flying with my companion pass companion -- because it's usually worth saving $400-$500.

But in general, it is really irritating flying Southwest for me - I even take connections to avoid SW (and usually get upgraded as well). It seems that they could just reserve a few rows for elites or late purchase just like Virgin does.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 3:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Should have as soon as he stopped drumming. But, I was in a window seat of a jammed plane. So, I stayed put.

If I see this behavior again, I will take one of the empty seats. Maybe I could even join in!
@:-) Ask if you can play guitar accompaniment. Then start singing or humming the notes. Maybe the guy will abandon the row entirely! If he doesn't, ask someone in the aisle to join the two of you making music with a wink that Drummer Boy can't see. That would complete the defeat of his scheme.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: Southwest | A-list preferred + CP || Marriott | Gold
I'm currently on the plane at MCO waiting to go to MDW and we had one guy with a blue card and he tried to bring 8 family members with him. The GA protested for a bit and then let them all on. I also heard some other guy ask his A-card holding friend to save two whole rows (I think). Atrocious!

I had A17 and one guy was in front of me (A16 presumably) and right when general boarding started one more guy sprang up ahead of me and boarded. So unless he was BS somebody cheated. (Another pet peeve of mine.)

I got my preferred infinite legroom seat so I can't complain too much but man... Lots of cheaters on this one!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by snoopoz
I'm currently on the plane at MCO waiting to go to MDW and we had one guy with a blue card and he tried to bring 8 family members with him. The GA protested for a bit and then let them all on. I also heard some other guy ask his A-card holding friend to save two whole rows (I think). Atrocious!

I had A17 and one guy was in front of me (A16 presumably) and right when general boarding started one more guy sprang up ahead of me and boarded. So unless he was BS somebody cheated. (Another pet peeve of mine.)

I got my preferred infinite legroom seat so I can't complain too much but man... Lots of cheaters on this one!
As Southwest continues to monetize boarding priority it will only get worse. The only viable solution is to go to assigned seating.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by snoopoz

Looks flight #853, departed out of gate #120 at MCO.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/S...040Z/KMCO/KMDW

If that's the flight, suggest you write a letter to SWA HQ concisely detailing the facts surrounding their Employee failing to follow established boarding procedure (i.e., 1 blue-sleeve holder + 1 helper).

They can easily retrieve identification information on which Employee was assigned to the gate, scanned the BPs (and in what order) and so on.

If you don't report it, there's no motivation for that Employee to follow procedure.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Had a chat with a single mother last night who traveled with her 10 and 6 year old boys ISP-BWI-LAS and back the same way to see the Grand Canyon. She bought EBCI for all at an extra cost of $75 RT and passed on these observations as a first time WN flyer.

The connection in BWI was 40 minutes and the gates where on opposite sides of A and B terminals. A quick bathroom stop and a sprint later, they arrived well into the late B's boarding making EBCI moot for the long flight but were fortunate to get the last full row on the very back of the plane.

Coming back, she observed a family with a small boy 4-5 yo having to sit a few seats away from a parent when their connection was apparently late. Nobody was willing to move.

We seem to forget that WN takes money and screws people regularly that create seating hardships. Sometimes it would be nice to help out our fellow travelers when we can.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by joshua362
Had a chat with a single mother last night who traveled with her 10 and 6 year old boys ISP-BWI-LAS and back the same way to see the Grand Canyon. She bought EBCI for all at an extra cost of $75 RT and passed on these observations as a first time WN flyer.

The connection in BWI was 40 minutes and the gates where on opposite sides of A and B terminals. A quick bathroom stop and a sprint later, they arrived well into the late B's boarding making EBCI moot for the long flight but were fortunate to get the last full row on the very back of the plane.

Coming back, she observed a family with a small boy 4-5 yo having to sit a few seats away from a parent when their connection was apparently late. Nobody was willing to move.

We seem to forget that WN takes money and screws people regularly that create seating hardships. Sometimes it would be nice to help out our fellow travelers when we can.

Very true. This scenario is different than teenagers. Wasn't sure if you were trying to compare this to the OP situation, but yes, all you have typed is correct. On the above, I would do anything to make it less stressful for younger kids and parents

I've been on many UA, AS, Delta flights where families were separated by a few rows. Usually, if kids we're say 10/12 under, accommodations were made by flyers to help. Not saying I've never seen it, but not giving up my confirmed aisle seat to a teenager. To a mom, dad, 6 year old? Sure. All day. Every time.

All companies screw the public. I never take this into consideration on how I would act though

Last edited by antinseattle; Apr 22, 2014 at 11:51 am
Old Apr 22, 2014, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Joshua362, I am confident that most people here would try to help out with a 4-year old.

As stated, substantially different from a 14 year old who got a high boarding number and saved seats for dad (and I assume, mom).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:57 pm

Yeah, just an after thought to this thread how no size will ever fit all. I bet most people like the open seating until something goes wrong. And a simple thing like slightly delayed flight or early boarding can cause the entire thing to go awry despite "throwing money at the problem" with EBCI or paying double for BS for that matter.

As for the 4yo, I'm sure if the parent pushed the issue to the FA, someone on the plane would have been sympathetic but what I got was they were late already holding up the flight so a half hearted attempt was made then accepted it. Yes, a huge difference from a teenager...
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
Very interesting thread, after having read most of this, may i ask why is it okay to save seats after row 10--example, or the exit row, and not before, or why is okay to save a middle and not an aisle,etc... ? Either it is right or wrong, no gray area, either they allow it or they don't, in fact i am not in favor of it, if it is open seating, then it is open seating,

i travle 95 % of the time by myself, so i would not be saving seats or having seats saved.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kctigers
Very interesting thread, after having read most of this, may i ask why is it okay to save seats after row 10--example, or the exit row, and not before, or why is okay to save a middle and not an aisle,etc... ? Either it is right or wrong, no gray area, either they allow it or they don't, in fact i am not in favor of it, if it is open seating, then it is open seating,
People have to sit somewhere. Since the middles are almost universally considered the worst, no one cares if you save them.

Many people prefer exit row or bulkhead seats, so those are premium.

People running for a close connection generally want to stay near the front, so those are premium also, but probably less so. And I have heard it said (not sure of veracity) that seats toward the back get more noise.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by kctigers

i travle 95 % of the time by myself, so i would not be saving seats or having seats saved.
It's about value. Nobody wants a middle seat unless they also want a seat beside it (travel companion). So they have the lowest value. Of the middle seats, those toward the front are slightly less horrible than those in the back.

IMHO, since Southwest wants to "sell" the opportunity to board early, they need to protect the "value" of what they offer by not allowing people to save seats for others with higher boarding numbers. But if someone saves a middle seat in the back of the plane, it has little, if any, impact on others.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by GottaLuvCruising
IMHO, since Southwest wants to "sell" the opportunity to board early, they need to protect the "value" of what they offer by not allowing people to save seats for others with higher boarding numbers. But if someone saves a middle seat in the back of the plane, it has little, if any, impact on others.
But at the same time nothing is done to protect the "value" of those paying up for BS or EBCI on tight connections, early gate boarding and delayed connecting flights! Many times my 1 hour first flight is slightly delayed making the 5hr cross country flight with an A01 pass a miserable experience!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
But at the same time nothing is done to protect the "value" of those paying up for BS or EBCI on tight connections, early gate boarding and delayed connecting flights! Many times my 1 hour first flight is slightly delayed making the 5hr cross country flight with an A01 pass a miserable experience!
I think the answer is to stop paying for BS and EBCI on tight connections. And send a note to Customer Relations about it.

Enough people change their habits and WN will learn something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.