Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:40 pm

When I have a better boarding card than the rest of my family, I just board with my family. Likewise, I don't understand people who think it's a good strategy to buy one BS or EBCI and then save seats for the entire family.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Angry Another Southwest Seating Issue/hassle

So in December I was flying from LAS-PDX with my brother, my 80+ year old mother in a wheelchair and my husband who has artificial knees. My mother walks with a cane (when not in the wheelchair) and my husband needs extra room during flight or else his knees lock up. He is handicapped in that he has a placard but does not appear so. This means he tries to sit in the bulkhead as he is not allowed to sit in the exit row as he is a pre-boarder.

Since the previous flight was deplaning, I had my mother's wheelchair off to the side so as not to be in the way of the deplaning passengers. The gate agent called for pre-board and I pushed my mother's chair to the podium. The agent insists on taking the 2 people standing directly in front of her (who were not in wheelchairs) as that is where pre board was to line up.

So I gave the wheelchair to my brother and got on first with my husband. Of course the couple took 2 of the bulkhead seats. One was an aisle and the other was the window across the aisle from their partner.

I figured fine - I would get the 2 and 2. I set my water bottle down in the vacant aisle seat and proceed to going about to get the other seats. The woman then gets up from the other aisle and moves my water bottle and sits down in that aisle seat. I look at her in disbelief and say - you've now split my party. In her defense I don't think she realized I had a party of 4. She tells me that she didn't know whose water bottle it was - I said it was mine.

So then she moves to the middle seat next to her husband. Which is great - works for me. I sit down in the aisle seat. The Jerk FA then comes over to me (who has NO idea what has transpired and why) then accuses me of hassling the woman out of her seat and starts lecturing me about WN's open seating policy. I was sick (literally) and just worn out. At this point, my mother has been pushed down the jetway and is standing with her cane behind the Jerk while he continues to lecture me. I looked at him and asked - can my mother sit down? After more lecture he finally moves and lets the rest of our party sit down.

Next thing you know, a gate supervisor has come down to talk to us about WN's open seating policy and is now determining whether or not we are going to be allowed to fly today. I couldn't believe it. Obviously the Jerk had complained and wanted us off the plane. I just looked at her and said - we are good. I felt bad because she was directing her lecture at my husband and I was the one who had handled the seating.

This manager then goes over to the couple and apologizes to them because they were not able to select the seats they wanted in accordance with WN's open seating policy. Fine, we think we are done. NOPE. Supervisor comes back and demands my husbands ID for her records. He bit his tongue and handed it over as he knew we'd get kicked off if he didn't.

To say we were unhappy with WN is an understatement. My brother said to me - With all you know how to do, you have to fight to get those seats and you still have problems.

The problem with WN is there is no way of guaranteeing bulkhead or exit row - no matter if you pay or pre-board. With my husbands knees, its a crapshoot every time and he is in enough pain already.

So coming back from PDX-LAS, I now knew where to line up. I had my mothers wheelchair 2nd in line behind 1 other wheelchair. STILL not good enough. They take the first wheelchair down and then the gate agent has the woman behind me who has a surgical mask on go in front of us - the explanation was - I have to let her on first. WHY???? I didn't dare open my mouth after what happened on my outbound flight.

The thing that is clear to me is that WN's staff just seem to be on power trips and there is no consistency as to how pre-board is handled.

I will limit my use of WN as much as I can in the future when flying with my husband or my mother as I don't want to be subject to the whims of whatever the WN staff decides to do that day.

I am writing this post 6 weeks after the fact because WN has the Unmitigated GALL to come out with an advertising campaign demanding loyalty from its customers. COUNT ME OUT!!!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by LAtraveler1
So in December I was flying from LAS-PDX with my brother, my 80+ year old mother in a wheelchair and my husband who has artificial knees. My mother walks with a cane (when not in the wheelchair) and my husband needs extra room during flight or else his knees lock up. He is handicapped in that he has a placard but does not appear so. This means he tries to sit in the bulkhead as he is not allowed to sit in the exit row as he is a pre-boarder.

Since the previous flight was deplaning, I had my mother's wheelchair off to the side so as not to be in the way of the deplaning passengers. The gate agent called for pre-board and I pushed my mother's chair to the podium. The agent insists on taking the 2 people standing directly in front of her (who were not in wheelchairs) as that is where pre board was to line up.

So I gave the wheelchair to my brother and got on first with my husband. Of course the couple took 2 of the bulkhead seats. One was an aisle and the other was the window across the aisle from their partner.

I figured fine - I would get the 2 and 2. I set my water bottle down in the vacant aisle seat and proceed to going about to get the other seats. The woman then gets up from the other aisle and moves my water bottle and sits down in that aisle seat. I look at her in disbelief and say - you've now split my party. In her defense I don't think she realized I had a party of 4. She tells me that she didn't know whose water bottle it was - I said it was mine.

So then she moves to the middle seat next to her husband. Which is great - works for me. I sit down in the aisle seat. The Jerk FA then comes over to me (who has NO idea what has transpired and why) then accuses me of hassling the woman out of her seat and starts lecturing me about WN's open seating policy. I was sick (literally) and just worn out. At this point, my mother has been pushed down the jetway and is standing with her cane behind the Jerk while he continues to lecture me. I looked at him and asked - can my mother sit down? After more lecture he finally moves and lets the rest of our party sit down.

Next thing you know, a gate supervisor has come down to talk to us about WN's open seating policy and is now determining whether or not we are going to be allowed to fly today. I couldn't believe it. Obviously the Jerk had complained and wanted us off the plane. I just looked at her and said - we are good. I felt bad because she was directing her lecture at my husband and I was the one who had handled the seating.

This manager then goes over to the couple and apologizes to them because they were not able to select the seats they wanted in accordance with WN's open seating policy. Fine, we think we are done. NOPE. Supervisor comes back and demands my husbands ID for her records. He bit his tongue and handed it over as he knew we'd get kicked off if he didn't.

To say we were unhappy with WN is an understatement. My brother said to me - With all you know how to do, you have to fight to get those seats and you still have problems.

The problem with WN is there is no way of guaranteeing bulkhead or exit row - no matter if you pay or pre-board. With my husbands knees, its a crapshoot every time and he is in enough pain already.

So coming back from PDX-LAS, I now knew where to line up. I had my mothers wheelchair 2nd in line behind 1 other wheelchair. STILL not good enough. They take the first wheelchair down and then the gate agent has the woman behind me who has a surgical mask on go in front of us - the explanation was - I have to let her on first. WHY???? I didn't dare open my mouth after what happened on my outbound flight.

The thing that is clear to me is that WN's staff just seem to be on power trips and there is no consistency as to how pre-board is handled.

I will limit my use of WN as much as I can in the future when flying with my husband or my mother as I don't want to be subject to the whims of whatever the WN staff decides to do that day.

I am writing this post 6 weeks after the fact because WN has the Unmitigated GALL to come out with an advertising campaign demanding loyalty from its customers. COUNT ME OUT!!!
The Oinion

Satire
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:05 pm

Oh dear. Looks like someone doesn't understand the Onion is satire.

Last edited by NextTrip; Feb 9, 2015 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Oh dear. Looks like someone doesn't understand the Onion is satire.
I realized it was an Onion piece - its just that there is a certain amount of belief behind any satire piece.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
+1.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:01 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Snark time. What about the other 100+ seats you could have chosen instead?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
I realized it was an Onion piece - its just that there is a certain amount of belief behind any satire piece.
Lol, wow.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
LAtraveler1:

A serious suggestion, not meant to be nasty: I think this is a case where you should patronize another airline that can guarantee the kind of seat you want.

I also think you should write a very pointed letter to WN Customer Service and slam the WN employees involved. Cut down the length a lot, though.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
LAtraveler1:

A serious suggestion, not meant to be nasty: I think this is a case where you should patronize another airline that can guarantee the kind of seat you want.

I also think you should write a very pointed letter to WN Customer Service and slam the WN employees involved. Cut down the length a lot, though.
The problem is that no airline will guarantee the seat you want.

If PDX is a regular trip, then maybe try AS, since (in my limited experience) they treat non-elites less-bad than the legacies.

Otherwise, WN is probably still your best bet in that at least you have a *chance* at a decent seat, and the limited room you get in a regular Southwest seat is often better than the legacies' back-of-economy seats that non-elites occupy.

Also...as a non-elite on a legacy...you could easily end up with 4 scattered middle seats that are assigned to you after other passengers are already boarding. Or maybe the wheelchair would get you one aisle and one middle on a legacy, but you'd have to find some way to access a human via phone or at an airport before your flight to get it assigned. (No status? Have fun on waiting on hold...)

Presumably with the wheelchair on WN, that would not happen. You'd get 4 together. They just might not be bulkhead.

In other words, that's a longwinded way of saying "It could be worse."
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Is there a reason why all four of you needed to be in the bulkhead? You explained that your husband did for medical reasons, why not split up two and two or even three and one?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:21 am

There are some holes in this story, and I imagine that some things are being left out.

Also, why do you have the belief that your mother and husband should be boarding before other people that have disabilities as well? Do you want to go through a process of trying to determine who is "more" handicapped?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
LAtraveler1:

I appreciate your suggestion. And as I have said, I am planning on limiting my forays on WN in the future particularly when I have my mother and my husband with me so I can guarantee seating.

As to writing WN - unfortunately I don't have the names of the "customer" service people involved and so even if they were inclined to follow up (which I have serious doubts) it would be unlikely that anything really could be done. If I had asked for their names, I am sure we would have been kicked off.

As to other people who just want to take shots at me and have no sympathy for my situation - I decline to get into a race to the gutter. I had an extremely poor experience with WN on my mother's birthday (didn't mention that tidbit in my last writing) and chose to share.

You have your opinion and I have mine. We will leave it at that.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
And as I have said, I am planning on limiting my forays on WN in the future particularly when I have my mother and my husband with me so I can guarantee seating.
And when you find *that* airline, please post it here.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:29 am

I look at her in disbelief and say - you've now split my party. In her defense I don't think she realized I had a party of 4. She tells me that she didn't know whose water bottle it was - I said it was mine.
I have been on my fair share of WN flights over the years.... actually, much more than my fair share. The one thing I know is that you would never be removed from a flight (or threatened to be removed) is this is all you said.

My guess is that... scratch that. It's glaringly obvious that you either embellished the story or omitted a few key facts to justify your unjust anger towards Southwest. Don't play the victim... we aren't buying it. I seriously doubt you'll receive sympathy from those of us that know better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.