Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I flew RyanAir twice last year. Both times the line was orderly, albeit long. Boarding was not by number. It was a simple queue (plus a very short priority boarding queue). This procedure apparently differs from airport to airport.

Both times I was not anywhere near first to board but I nevertheless was able to sit in the exit row. As I understand it they have changed their policy to prevent people like me from having that success in the future.
They changed more than that. RyanAir adopted assigned seating, "following complaints from passengers fed up with queuing at the departure gate to get the best seats."

EasyJet scrapped open seating a year earlier. You're pre-assigned a seat for free or you can pick yours for $6. $12 scores a seat in the first few rows.

Ryanair Introduces Allocated Seating
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:46 pm

If Ryan Air adopted Assigned Seating it was almost certainly because they can make more money selling seats that way.

As I keep saying I fully expect Southwest to go that way relatively soon.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 3:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
If Ryan Air adopted Assigned Seating it was almost certainly because they can make more money selling seats that way.
I agree... except for the "almost". ^
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:23 pm

I may just check my carry on bag after reading this comedy.

I think I know now why getting a CP was so easy, lol
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

You know Ryan doesn't do anything unless it benefits them financially.

I'm surprised any carrier isn't required to have assigned seating on an international flight.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:22 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR

Honestly, I expect that WN will implement something similar to FL's current seat selection policy once the integration is complete and the new reservation system is up and running for both international and domestic.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

SANdyFlyer, I think I was in two 8, the FA was in the exit row. Yes, I had to initially raise my voice to get her attention, after that no.

If I was facing her from row 8, I certainly would not be sitting down, now would I? I was out of the aisle, standing in front of 8D ( I think), looking towards the exit row. The teenager was getting the backpack out of the seat as I was asking about any formal WN seat saving policy. Not hearing that there was one, I sat down. whereupon the aisle seat in the exit row opened up.

I apologize for any minor discrepancies between this and my earlier posts.

None of this changes the main point of this thread: a clearly written, clearly communicated, clearly advertised corporate policy (open seating on WN) should not be trumped by an unwritten, poorly communicated, non-advertised corporate policy (seat saving on WN).

And if you read one of my earlier posts here, you will see that I am not against one person saving one middle seat behind the exit row. But even here, if there were a definite written and communicated policy enforced by WN, at least I could prepare accordingly.

Last edited by Orwaid; Apr 15, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:49 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by Orwaid
SANdyFlyer, I think I was in two 8, the FA was in the exit row. Yes, I had to initially raise my voice to get her attention, after that no.
Bullying a Teenage girl and then yelling at the Flight Attendant.

Last edited by nsx; Apr 17, 2014 at 2:58 pm Reason: personal attack deleted
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

cxn, I did not bully anybody, let alone a teenage girl.

And as to the FA, I said "excuse me?" in a louder tone of voice to get her attention, then conversed in normal tones. I would not not consider that yelling at a FA.

You, SANdyFlyer and others can try to disparage me all you want. Not only are your personal remarks not true, but it reduces the effectiveness of whatever salient point or position you are making or taking.

Last edited by Orwaid; Apr 15, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by alggag
Honestly, I expect that WN will implement something similar to FL's current seat selection policy once the integration is complete and the new reservation system is up and running for both international and domestic.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I've been lurking on this thread for awhile now and decided to post my experience:

I don't fly Southwest often, but when I do it's for leisure, and it's with my wife. We always spring for Early Bird Check-In if we're not flying on Business Select.

It really burns me when we get on board to find that 1 person in a family has purchased EBCI and gets on early and tries to save 3/4/5 seats in the front, bulkhead or exit row because they were too cheap to pay for EBCI for the whole family.

If the person is in the bathroom (on the plane) or a through passenger that's stepped off for a moment that's one thing, but if someone is just trying to save seats for people boarding later, I don't think that's appropriate and there have been a couple times my wife and I have insisted we be allowed to sit (usually exit row or bulkhead).

If you want to make sure you've got enough seats together pay for the higher fares or EBCI. Otherwise it devalues the point of my wife and I paying for EBCI or Business Select fares.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:37 am

Flew from Denver to Phoenix last night. Every row from 10 on back had "seat savers" and FA's standing around looking away from the passengers when they asked if the seat was taken.
I now have a new oxymoron to add to the list. We have:

Jumbo Shrimp
Genuine Imitation
Educational Television
Solid Water
Now making its debut "WN Open Seating"

GVretiredguy
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
If enough people dissatisfied with the situation write WN and complain, things might change.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by GVretiredguy
Flew from Denver to Phoenix last night. Every row from 10 on back had "seat savers" and FA's standing around looking away from the passengers when they asked if the seat was taken.
I now have a new oxymoron to add to the list. We have:

Jumbo Shrimp
Genuine Imitation
Educational Television
Solid Water
Now making its debut "WN Open Seating"

GVretiredguy

I might make a T Shirt out of this for when I fly....
Old Apr 16, 2014, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
Originally Posted by Orwaid
cxn, I did not bully anybody, let alone a teenage girl.

And as to the FA, I said "excuse me?" in a louder tone of voice to get her attention, then conversed in normal tones. I would not not consider that yelling at a FA.

You, SANdyFlyer and others can try to disparage me all you want. Not only are your personal remarks not true, but it reduces the effectiveness of whatever salient point or position you are making or taking.

Don't take it personal, she has yet to make a valid point

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.