Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:51 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
I would respectfully disagree with everyone who says that Southwest does not have a policy for the OP's situation. Southwest policy states that you are free to take any "available" seat at the time that you board.

The word "available" can be considered somewhat vague, of course (as can most words in the English language if you try hard enough). In common parlance related to non-assigned seating (movie theatres, bars, certain sporting events) a saved seat is not "available".

However in this case, we also have repeated instances where the company HAS clarified what they mean by "available" by having their representatives tell people that it is OK to save seats for later boarding companions. In other words, those saved seats are not "available" as that term is defined by Southwest.

You can argue that Southwest should change their policy, but it's pretty hard to argue that the policy is actually different from what their own employees are consistently telling customers.
I think this post sums it up perfectly from Southwest's perspective and is going to be as definitive as it gets from them. If a seat is "unavailable" because the intended butt is in the bathroom or yet to board the plane, isn't it the same thing from a FA perspective?

Not saying its right, proper or whatever but it does appear to be the defacto stance and practice. And they rely on human decency and a who-really-cares attitude to board without problems 99.95% of the time.

That said, I've heard a few, rare times a FA saying "you shouldn't be saving in an exit row" and people move on...
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Tizzette
One Early Boarding fee = One Early Boarding seat. Seat savers know that's the basic concept but choose to game the system to save a few bucks. They have to know there's a chance someone will plonk down in that empty seat they are trying to save.
Seems like it would be common sense and common courtesy. If someone without status books a family on a legacy carrier and decides they want premium seating, they pay for it for EVERY person in the party. If they pay for only one EC seat, one person gets it and not the rest in the party (and I have been on flights before where a family has been too cheap to pay for premium seats and expects others to play musical chairs so they can sit together).

On a legacy, someone with status gets the benefits of priority boarding and premium seats, expedited security (although this isn't factor for a lot of people now with precheck) extended to everyone traveling on the same PNR, and I think WN should allow family members on the same PNR of an A-lister to board with them.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Jamesteroh, I agree with your idea just posted.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Orwaid
SANdyFlyer, at least now you are down to just accusing me of barking. The reality is that the person making most of the noise was the man behind me yelling to not take an open seat.

And when I asked the FA a direct question and did not get a direct response, I asked again and said that is a yes or no question. I am sorry you find that demeaning to the FA; had she answered my question in some way ( like "no, you can't take that seat, it is saved for someone else") I would not have had to ask the followup.

BTW, at congressional hearings, often when someone does not answer a question, often there is a follow-up with the statement "that is a yes or no question". It is not demeaning; rather, it is an attempt to ascertain the truth or the facts.

We will have to agree to disagree on what appropriate behavior is. For me, when someone asks me a direct question, I give them a direct answer.
Maybe not demeaning but is integrating on something they are asked not to get involved in
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:10 pm

The anti-seat savers in this thread crack me up. Throughout the course of this thread it has been discussed how prior to the flight, the GAs and CSRs recommend seat saving. During the flight, the FAs will almost always side and accommodate the seat saver in a dispute. If you have a problem with it after the flight, CS will send you a non-apology apology email stating that they are fully aware of seat saving and support it; too bad for you.

The anti-seat savers response to this... "The day-to-day reality of what ACTUALLY happens on Southwest flights means nothing! Instead, let's dissect this definition of 'available' on the website."
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:14 pm

To reiterate my point -- again -- I'm neither for nor against seat saving. I am against Southwest having an ambiguous policy that attempts to benefit from the monetization of their boarding system while avoiding responsibility for any issues that result.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I am against Southwest having an ambiguous policy that attempts to benefit from the monetization of their boarding system while avoiding responsibility for any issues that result.
And my point is that there is NO ambiguity in Southwest's operational policies. Everything points to Southwest being fully aware of seat saving and supporting it; prior to the flight, during the flight, and after the flight.

Your only premise for ambiguity lies in dissecting the meaning of 'available' on the website, and interpreting it as some limited definition of 'unoccupied'. After grasping at straws for this conclusion, you then suggest that it is motivated on Southwest's part by greed.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SANdyFlyer
The anti-seat savers in this thread crack me up. Throughout the course of this thread it has been discussed how prior to the flight, the GAs and CSRs recommend seat saving. During the flight, the FAs will almost always side and accommodate the seat saver in a dispute. If you have a problem with it after the flight, CS will send you a non-apology apology email stating that they are fully aware of seat saving and support it; too bad for you.

The anti-seat savers response to this... "The day-to-day reality of what ACTUALLY happens on Southwest flights means nothing! Instead, let's dissect this definition of 'available' on the website."
Again I point out that the FA during this "incident" seems to be in on the seat saving "scheme" by allowing (presumably) a non-rev employee to sit in a "premium" seat that suddenly became available to defuse the situation.

I fly solo 97% of the time for business. The 2 or 3 time a year I might bring someone along for personal travel, on points, I would love the courtesy of being able to sit together if the circumstances (like t-24 check in) fail and without spending $. Its never been a problem.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:57 pm

And my point is that there is NO ambiguity in Southwest's operational policies. Everything points to Southwest being fully aware of seat saving and supporting it; prior to the flight, during the flight, and after the flight.

Your only premise for ambiguity lies in dissecting the meaning of 'available' on the website, and interpreting it as some limited definition of 'unoccupied'. After grasping at straws for this conclusion, you then suggest that it is motivated on Southwest's part by greed.
You're absolutely right, there is no ambiguity in Southwest's boarding policy regarding seat saving, and that's obviously why there are never any issues with, discussions of or differing opinions resulting from it.

Glad that's finally settled!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I really wish I would have known this a couple years ago. I was a through on a flight where a friend was getting on at the stop in BHM and I would have taken the aisle exit and saved the middle exit row if I would have known this was the southwest unwritten policy.

Reading this thread makes me happy I don't fly Southwest much anymore. While I sometimes run into a person that feels entitled to sit with their family or spouse or friend or whatever, I can just refuse since I have an assigned seat.

90+ percent of the time there isn't even a middle seat in my row to worry about And if I am not in economy comfort on those times I'm not upgraded, I have the exit row assigned and don't have to worry about the person in the middle or window saving that seat and don't have to rush to be the first on the plane to get that seat.

Makes me wonder if I flew Southwest for every flight how much time would be wasted sitting on the plane being the first to board to be assured of a good seat.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Apr 17, 2014 at 1:12 pm
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
You're absolutely right, there is no ambiguity in Southwest's boarding policy regarding seat saving, and that's obviously why there are never any issues with, discussions of or differing opinions resulting from it.

Glad that's finally settled!
Just because there are issues and discord with an 'unofficial policy' doesn't imply that Southwest is intentionally creating ambiguity. A lot of people were upset about the recent RR devaluation, but certainly no one would suggest ambiguity there. I'm not sure I am following your logic.

You also seem to be confusing differing opinions on what individuals think the unofficial policy SHOULD be with what it ACTUALLY is.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 1:18 pm

I'm not sure I am following your logic.
That's abundantly true.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:09 pm

for those don't like seats saving, have complained to wn until the cows come home, why don't you try this. just sit your ... down at any unoccupied seat that you want even tho someone said that seat is saved. if there's something on it, ask the person to remove it so you can sit your ... down. if they refused, just stand there until they remove the item for you to sit your ... down. just try all that and see what will happen.

all i can say is good luck and have a pleasant flight!
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Just sit in the seat. Yes, anyone can "save" seats but there are no assigned seats, so any empty seat is up for the taking. The worst they can do is give you the stink eye.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by lrickets
for those don't like seats saving, have complained to wn until the cows come home, why don't you try this. just sit your ... down at any unoccupied seat that you want even tho someone said that seat is saved. if there's something on it, ask the person to remove it so you can sit your ... down. if they refused, just stand there until they remove the item for you to sit your ... down. just try all that and see what will happen.

all i can say is good luck and have a pleasant flight!
Exactly! It's always worked well for me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...l#post19228300

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.