Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
maybe they should do like this commercial
http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Yaf/southwes...ction-showdown

I guess they do say choose any Open seat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fagAJ5YSx8
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If WN wants to make money off of offering things like BS and EBCI, it seems like they would be better off just doing assigned seating and charging for premium seats.
This is in my opinion exactly what they should do and what I think they will do relatively soon.

I'm sure the open seating fans will dispute this but I think it makes a lot more sense than selling places in line with an indefinite result.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Well I'm done offering opinions since they already been expressed multiple times in multiple ways, its definitely a polarizing thread in many directions!

A sort of similar issues occurs at a lot of General Admission concerts I've been to in recent years. And a regional difference exists, on the West Coast, coats or blankets or tarps spread out in prime front of house location are generally respected to save spots for late arrivals while that doesn't happen in the East.

And for a good laugh regarding seat saving watch this. It is not sped up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQ-IyK4RAs
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by SANdyFlyer
But you are...you are suggesting to others that they should pay additional costs to get a desirable seat, but yet you are not doing so yourself. Instead, you have chosen to boorishly lay claim to a seat that someone else already has under your myopic view of 'open seat policy'.
What do you mean by "someone else already has"? Who is the someone else?

Whoever boarded previously already has a different seat.

Whoever boarded later doesn't "already has" any seat.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:26 am

I flew Southwest once (because I was using up my AirTran miles and absolutely, positively HATED EVERY MINUTE OF SOUTHWEST! I had a B6 (whatever that is supposed to mean) and boarded there were a middle and aisle open in row 4...I took them...I and my wife each had 1 LEGITIMATE CARRY ON BAG...I look in the overhead from row 1 to 10 all stuffed...there were at best 10 of 30 seats filled in those rows! and noone seated other than at windows from row 3 to 8....screw this....I called the FA and told her to take a bag roll call on the 10 seated...she hated me....I stood in the aisle and told her either take the call or i'm gonna start doing it myself.........i did and when I started pulling bags people in row 16 and 17 started screaming......I calmly took their bags back to them and put mine where they should be..........amen..............
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by wedgeclose
I flew Southwest once (because I was using up my AirTran miles and absolutely, positively HATED EVERY MINUTE OF SOUTHWEST! I had a B6 (whatever that is supposed to mean) and boarded there were a middle and aisle open in row 4...I took them...I and my wife each had 1 LEGITIMATE CARRY ON BAG...I look in the overhead from row 1 to 10 all stuffed...there were at best 10 of 30 seats filled in those rows! and noone seated other than at windows from row 3 to 8....screw this....I called the FA and told her to take a bag roll call on the 10 seated...she hated me....I stood in the aisle and told her either take the call or i'm gonna start doing it myself.........i did and when I started pulling bags people in row 16 and 17 started screaming......I calmly took their bags back to them and put mine where they should be..........amen..............
Yeah, that's not how it works.

<Just when you thought this thread would die>
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Good point. A lot of amusement parks will sell line cut/fast track passes wher eyou can go to the front of the line on busier rides. If an individual buys a pass, it's only for him, not for the entire family.
Surely that was the original intent. It is an abuse to buy one Early Boarding and save an entire exit row of three seats.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie
This issue is sounding much like the Ryanair situation. When the pax begin to que up to receive a boarding number (first come first served) it will almost come to a shouting match and blows as people try to get those first BP cards.
I flew RyanAir twice last year. Both times the line was orderly, albeit long. Boarding was not by number. It was a simple queue (plus a very short priority boarding queue). This procedure apparently differs from airport to airport.

Both times I was not anywhere near first to board but I nevertheless was able to sit in the exit row. As I understand it they have changed their policy to prevent people like me from having that success in the future.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:52 pm

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
The problem is with you, of course. You wrongly thought you were entitled to a specific spot of bin space, but of course you're not.

You're entitled to overhead bin space. You're not entitled to a specific piece of overhead bin space.

You're the one in the wrong here.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Peter T.
Simple. Because WN allows seat saving. Personally, I wish WN did NOT allow it. But they do, so the teenager was well within her rights to do so.

Of course she used bad form is seating in the window seat. She should have sat in the middle seat or in the aisle seat if she wanted to save the two other seats for her parents. But the bottom line is that WN allows passengers to save seats for passenger that are boarding later. It's an unwritten policy, but a well known policy nevertheless. (And it's a policy I personally don't like, but I accept it and abide by it because it is what it is.)
Understood. Like I said I haven't flown WN but since I moved to a new city where WN flies out of I have been considering it.

I think in regards to whether seat-saving is or isn't WN policy though each side has a point. Yours makes a lot of sense, since there is no policy against it and since the FAs stay out of it you can argue that it is allowed. However others can argue that they already do have a policy against it because they have a policy (like all airlines) that you get 1-seat for 1 passenger. Also add in the policy that you can take any unoccupied seat when you board. Both of those to me sound like policies that contradict the idea that seat-saving is an unwritten policy, since both of those policies are actually written and negate seat-saving as an allowable option.

Agreed though it would be nice if WN spelled it out. Clearly they have a reason for not doing it, they are afterall aimed at the leisure flying crowd so they might think it will scare off too many budget-minded travelers who worry they won't be able to sit next to their companions.

Nonetheless, I'm the type who probably would not care too much either way. I'm one of those rare people who doesn't even mind a middle seat, all seats are bad anyway on domestic airlines whether they be window, aisle, exit row, or first class. But at the same time I think fair is fair, and the fact that each passenger is entitled to only 1-seat and when you board you can take any unoccupied seat, I hate to see people with the entitlement type of attitude that they can save whatever seats they want for their (perhaps equally boorish) companions. Any seat someone saves is at the expense of someone else boarding who has a legitimate right to that seat.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:55 pm

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by SpartanTraveler
I hate to see people with the entitlement type of attitude that they can save whatever seats they want for their (perhaps equally boorish) companions.
Making a perfectly polite request of others isn't an "entitlement attitude." It's perfectly okay to ask people not to do something they have a "right" to do, and reasonable people in reasonable situations will respect that request.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
The problem is with you, of course. You wrongly thought you were entitled to a specific spot of bin space, but of course you're not.

You're entitled to overhead bin space. You're not entitled to a specific piece of overhead bin space.

You're the one in the wrong here.
True but deboarding you would have a tough time going back a few rows to grab your bag and probably have to wait until everyone got off, isn't it common courtesy to use the bins above your seats?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by john398
True but deboarding you would have a tough time going back a few rows to grab your bag and probably have to wait until everyone got off, isn't it common courtesy to use the bins above your seats?
Common courtesy is no longer applicable. On any airline.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
Making a perfectly polite request of others isn't an "entitlement attitude." It's perfectly okay to ask people not to do something they have a "right" to do, and reasonable people in reasonable situations will respect that request.
Oh I completely agree if someone is making a perfectly polite request and asking if you mind sitting elsewhere because they want to save a seat its a different story. But what is an entitlement attitude is some of the examples given in this thread where a passenger throws their stuff on multiple seats (often premium seats) and then thinks they have a right to those extra seats because they "called them".

The former is acknowledging the other passenger has a right to that unoccupied seat and you are asking them to extend you a favor by letting you save them for someone else, the latter is a completely different story where you are "telling them" they are your seats even though they aren't. To me that sounds like an entitlement attitude.

Last edited by SpartanTraveler; Apr 15, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 15, 2014, 2:13 pm

And in your only other post on this site, you claim that Delta offers the worst service in the industry. Perhaps commercial airlines aren't able to satisfy your lofty standards? Maybe try chartering your own plane. Or if your circumstances don't permit such spending, Greyhound may be an option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.