Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another seat saving hassle and why I hate flying WN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

"Excessively"was another poster's word, not mine.

And I had to raise my voice a little to get the attention of a FA that was 5 or 6 rows away. Once I had I lowered my voice.
My bad, can't keep track of it all! Look, it wasn't the ideal circumstance but if I was C boarding for whatever the reason, my expectations would be so low anyway...

OT, but I love the window seat being a pilot and usually travel with a GPS device to track the flight but if I can't get the exit window, its gonna be aisle for me. Too claustrophobic in the window with the middle filled POST DEVOLVE.

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 9, 2014 at 8:05 am
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:51 am

I recently moved down to PHL from NYC and have been debating on whether to fly WN since it flies from here. However it is this seat-saving issue, and to a lesser degree the entire boarding process, that is keeping me away.

I do not know how anyone can take the teenager's side on this issue. She was entitled to one seat and was sitting in it, the OP was entitled to any unoccupied seat and simply wanted to take the last remaining decent one available. It was not occupied and the teenager had no right to it in the least. The fact that this is even debatable makes me wary of flying WN because it tells me a lot about the way the airline is run and the entitlement mentality of some of its passengers who feel its ok for them to save a seat that isn't theirs while saying those with a rightful claim to the seat should have been the ones to pay for EB.

Amazingly twisted logic to defend seat saving, that reeks of an entitlement attitude.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by SDCA
I have the same problem at the movie theaters I go to also.

Shall I ask the movie theater company for a clear policy about their unassigned seat as well?
Do you pay hundreds of dollars to sit in a theater? Does your movie theater give you boarding pass assignments which determine the order you can enter in order to claim seats?

The analogy makes no sense unless you are trying to defend a sense of entitlement that no one granted to you.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SpartanTraveler
I recently moved down to PHL from NYC and have been debating on whether to fly WN since it flies from here. However it is this seat-saving issue, and to a lesser degree the entire boarding process, that is keeping me away.
There are plenty bigger things to knock WN for than these two, IMO.

But I agree, if WN is going to sell BS, sell fake-BS, sell EBCI, and tout A-List, there needs to be a clearer statement from them on this matter. Pre-2.0, not much of a deal. Now these sales make up a considerable percentage of WN's profit, and when you sell something, value better be there.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Do you pay hundreds of dollars to sit in a theater? Does your movie theater give you boarding pass assignments which determine the order you can enter in order to claim seats?

The analogy makes no sense unless you are trying to defend a sense of entitlement that no one granted to you.
Yes and yes.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
USAir

I do not know how anyone can take the teenager's side on this issue. She was entitled to one seat and was sitting in it, the OP was entitled to any unoccupied seat and simply wanted to take the last remaining decent one available. It was not occupied and the teenager had no right to it in the least. The fact that this is even debatable makes me wary of flying WN because it tells me a lot about the way the airline is run and the entitlement mentality of some of its passengers who feel its ok for them to save a seat that isn't theirs while saying those with a rightful claim to the seat should have been the ones to pay for EB.

Amazingly twisted logic to defend seat saving, that reeks of an entitlement attitude.
As a former multi-year WN A+ with a CP, now flying x-PHL weekly, I have unceremoniously dumped WN and switched almost entirely to USAir. US fares are usually lower than WN these days, and always close if not lower, you get a confirmed seat, and having made Chmn preferred, I am now getting upgraded to FC -almost- 100% of the time. With PHL being a major US hub, lots of choices x-PHL.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
As a former multi-year WN A+ with a CP, now flying x-PHL weekly, I have unceremoniously dumped WN and switched almost entirely to USAir. US fares are usually lower than WN these days, and always close if not lower, you get a confirmed seat, and having made Chmn preferred, I am now getting upgraded to FC -almost- 100% of the time. With PHL being a major US hub, lots of choices x-PHL.
As Southwest moves into larger airports and attempts to compete with the legacies this is going to happen more and more.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by johnslloyd
Yes, USAir has become my primary carrier. I only fly once a month (and its for leisure) and USAir has several direct flights daily, while WN only has one. So that is another major reason I haven't flown WN - simply a matter of convenience.

I imagine it is a lose-lose situation when it comes to someone saving a seat. If you don't speak up you lose something you rightfully have a claim to per WN's own boarding procedure, but if you do speak up you end up sitting next to someone who you already have a beef with. The OP got lucky the FA found him that other seat, otherwise he would have either been stuck in the middle (unfairly) or been stuck sitting next to someone for the entire flight who was pissed off at him for ruining their little ploy.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:40 pm

That is exactly why SW seat savers get away with it. Not many people are willing to push a confrontation over it, and not many FAs would do anything at all to help.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
That is exactly why SW seat savers get away with it. Not many people are willing to push a confrontation over it, and not many FAs would do anything at all to help.
Seriously, SWA does not have a policy one way or the other about seat saving. So, FAs are not going to get involved.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Seriously, SWA does not have a policy one way or the other about seat saving. So, FAs are not going to get involved.
While it would be nice for WN to clearly state a policy since there will always be some entitlement types who take advantage of them and save seats, I would argue they actually do have a policy already implied. It is one seat per passenger and you get your seat assignment when you board and take an unoccupied seat. There is no airline, including WN, that treats a ticket as a free ride to take as many seats as you want. Unfortunately air travel is full of people who feel entitled to the earth and moon simply because they bought a ticket so it is no surprise some of the great unwashed feel they are entitled to save unoccupied seats.

This is a major reason I don't fly southwest. Other airlines still have their fair share of classless people, but at least they don't have the cattle car type boarding which shines a light on just how bad some people are.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:38 am

This is a major reason I don't fly southwest.
No offense, but based on your other comments, I'm not buying this statement.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by texashoser
No offense, but based on your other comments, I'm not buying this statement.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. My only other comment was in regards to the timing. For the normal route I fly (PHL-LAS) WN has a good return flight but the departing flight from PHL is in mid-afternoon while I try to leave late evening. So that is a big reason as well but I could easily split it up and take WN on my return, which is usually cheaper and a somewhat ideal time. But I groan at the thought of going through that cattle-call boarding process, especially since I'm usually dead tired when I get on the plane in LAS.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:09 am

I'm not sure what you are referring to. My only other comment was in regards to the timing. For the normal route I fly (PHL-LAS) WN has a good return flight but the departing flight from PHL is in mid-afternoon while I try to leave late evening. So that is a big reason as well but I could easily split it up and take WN on my return, which is usually cheaper and a somewhat ideal time. But I groan at the thought of going through that cattle-call boarding process, especially since I'm usually dead tired when I get on the plane in LAS.
That's cool. But the cattle-call process is an effect of open seating, not seat saving. And I totally get why lots of folks don't like open seating. Pros and cons...
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
DITTO on being dead tired leaving Vegas, I just go to the back of the plane and pick a seat where I can sometimes snag an Aisle with an empty middle but not sure I will be as lucky when WN starts flying NonStop DAL-LAS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.