Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pgary
Do not post referral offers or requests in this thread. All such posts will be deleted.

This thread is dedicated to Q&A about the Chase RR Visa signup bonus offers.

Post important Chase RR Visa news in the RR Visa News ONLY thread. (It will quickly get lost in this thread.)

Post or look for referral offers ONLY in the RR Visa referrals thread in the referrals thread of the credit card forum.

75,000 miles bonus for all Southwest Airlines personal credit cards.

40K + 20K personal Plus
offer:
$1,000 spend in three months for 40K. $11,000 more in 12 months for additional 20K. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K + 20K personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $11,000 more in 12 months for additional 20K. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

70K Performance Business Card offer. $5,000 spend in three months. $199 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Plus offer $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K personal Plus offer: $1,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

40K personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Business Premier offer. $3,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

60K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 07-July-2017

50K Plus offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

40K Personal Plus offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $69 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K personal Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

40K Personal Premier offer. $1,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year.

50K Business Premier offer. $2,000 spend in three months. $99 annual fee, not waived the first year. Still active 21-Apr-2017

There have been targeted offers of 50K & $100 credit, for example:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24575935-post2302.html

Frequently Asked Questions about Rapid Rewards Visa

1. What are the different card types?
non-business Plus, non-business Premier, business Plus, and business Premier.
Premier cards have a higher annual fee but give 6000 anniversary bonus points vs. 3000 points for the Plus cards. It is generally agreed that you will get the bonus for a new account if you have not had that particular type of RR Visa card before, but Chase appears to be in the process of changing their policies (see below).

Note that prior to RR-2.0, the two types of RR Visa cards were "Classic" ($29 to $39 annual fee) and "Signature" ($59 to $69 annual fee). Plus and Premier are new products for purposes of the (soon to be retired?) "One bonus per product" rule.

2. Is there a zero annual fee version?
No.

3. Can I "churn" these cards? How often can I reapply for the same type card and get the signup bonus?
The official rule has recently changed more than once. Closely check the T&C of your offer as different rules may apply to concurrently available offers. The Inflight offer linked above states:
This bonus offer is available to you as long as you have not received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the past twenty four months.
Referral offers have been seen with a limit of one individual and one business bonus per lifetime (although T&C read by the CSR taking the application differed from those printed on the referral offer).

Actual results sometimes differ from the official rule. People have reported receiving the bonus a second time on the same card type at various intervals even when the bonus was officially once per lifefime per product. Please post your results here.

As of mid-May 2015 Chase has cracked down on applicants who appear to have much less than average attachment to their cards. Specifically, more than 5 applications within the past 24 months is the approximate cutoff: Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

4. Can I cancel the card and still collect the anniversary bonus?
Yes. Reasonable people disagree on whether this crosses the line of exploiting the card issuer. The anniversary bonus is described a reward for having been a cardmember for the past year, not as a reward for paying the next year's annual fee. Based on that description, the bonus has been earned even if you then cancel the card. As a practical matter, there is a window of only a couple weeks to accomplish this. The bonus points will post on the billing date of the statement containing your new annual fee, which will have posted earlier in the billing cycle. You have 30 days from posting of the annual fee to cancel the card and have the new fee refunded.

5. Does the annual fee count toward the spending threshold for the signup bonus?
No.

6. When will my signup bonus post to my Rapid Rewards account?
If you have met the spending threshold at least several days before your statement date, the bonus will normally post 2 days after your statement date, not when you actually spent the money! Cutting the timing or the spending amount too closely is not advisable. Mistakes can happen.

7. My statement shows sufficient purchases to meet the spending threshold. Why didn't I receive the bonus?
This can happen if you met the spending threshold just a few days before the statement date. It appears that accounts are flagged for meeting the spending threshold independently of the statement generation process and less frequently than daily.

8. How can I determine my statement date?
You should call Chase (phone number on back of card) to check your next statement date. Credit card companies are now required to have payments due on the same numerical day of each month, which means closing dates vary throughout the year. (Before reforms enacted after the financial crisis, RR Visa cards had constant closing dates rather than constant due dates.) The closing date should remain within the same small range unless you request a change of your payment due date. When you request a change, Chase normally can delay your next statement but cannot accelerate it. If you are unwisely taking the risk of cutting your timing too close, you should call Chase more than once to confirm your next statement date.

9. I accidentally crossed the spending threshold in December rather than January. Can I return a large purchase to bring my spending back below the threshold?
Unlikely. It appears that the sweep to check spending threshold does not un-flag an account previously flagged as meeting the threshold. It's not even clear whether the sweep counts returns at all. If you realize the error before the statement closes and you have a payment due date change available, you might be able to push the December closing date into January.

10. Can I apply for a credit card in my wife's name but my Rapid Rewards number, so that the points funnel into my account?
People have tried this. Some have succeeded. Others have reported that Chase closed the account and posted no Rapid Rewards points. Do you feel lucky? Programs can become very aggressive when they suspect members of defrauding the program by using non-matching names. When you game the system you are only on solid ground if you follow the rules to the letter. Breaking the rules means that the program can penalize you if they want to, and believe me: They want to.

11. Can I scam this system in any other way? I just had a clever idea.
There is nothing new under the sun here on FlyerTalk. If it relates to established program rules and it isn't discussed here you can be confident your idea will not work.
Print Wikipost

Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just added this to the Wiki:

The 24 month interval, from one bonus award to the next, is now official for at least one Chase-issued card: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...l#post23237386
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:36 am

Applied for my Premiere card and got approved with $24K CL last month. Statement just closed with $2K spending yesterday and just applied for the Plus card with a referral and got approved with $18K CL! Chase is so generous with the CL! BTW I want that companion pass! =D
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:23 am

I completed my spending requirements for both the premier and plus cards 50 k bonuses last week.

I also already have 8,000 companion pass compatible points in my Rapid Rewards account, so once each of the 50k bonuses hit, I will have around 112k points and eligible for companion pass.

My question is how long after you hit the spending requirements do the points hit your account?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by mikeb3408
I completed my spending requirements for both the premier and plus cards 50 k bonuses last week.

I also already have 8,000 companion pass compatible points in my Rapid Rewards account, so once each of the 50k bonuses hit, I will have around 112k points and eligible for companion pass.

My question is how long after you hit the spending requirements do the points hit your account?
For points from normal spending, should be a few days (2-3) after the statement closes. For bonus points this is also true as long as you hit the requirement more than a few days before the close of the statement (not sure exactly how much a "few" is in this case).
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by aarif1
For points from normal spending, should be a few days (2-3) after the statement closes. For bonus points this is also true as long as you hit the requirement more than a few days before the close of the statement (not sure exactly how much a "few" is in this case).
That's how it worked for me. And usually the points hit my RR account just a day or two after my credit card statement came out. If timing is critical - like you have a trip coming up - plan ahead! I bought a SW ticket right before the close of my credit card statement, because I wanted to meet the minimum spend early. The charge showed as pending, and I was short a few dollars and had to wait til the next month. Not a problem for me, but a surprise.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by flyernick
To motivate someone deciding whether to get these cards or not (and brag a little

Got the personal & business both last year and qualified for companion pass.
Using all the bonus points (incl. 3k anniv. bonus + a few thousand more in spend) got us 12 round trip tickets. One of the best CC sign up bonuses for me ever! Heck it would have been worth it just for the one upcoming Aruba trip for 2 (cash price $500 pp). The other trips weren't short either, taking us coast-to-coast.
I think my partner and I (well, one or the other) will try this at the beginning of next year if the 50k bonuses are offered. Does this work for a combination of the premier & plus cards, or does it have to be one or the other and a business card?

Also, regarding the 24-month window...does this start from when the card that received the bonus was closed, or just from when the bonus was initially received?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by trouble747
I think my partner and I (well, one or the other) will try this at the beginning of next year if the 50k bonuses are offered. Does this work for a combination of the premier & plus cards, or does it have to be one or the other and a business card?
I did it with the personal premier and personal plus cards - although your mileage may vary as to how willing Chase will be to give both. I've seen mixed reports when people try to get both at once.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by kmcg
I did it with the personal premier and personal plus cards - although your mileage may vary as to how willing Chase will be to give both. I've seen mixed reports when people try to get both at once.
Thanks for the info! I am concerned about my partner actually qualifying for two cards to begin with. Although his credit score (mid 750s) is only a little lower than mine, he seems to qualify for less cards and always receives much lower limits. I have the Southwest premier card, although I suppose I could try for the plus and a business card.

So I gathered from the wiki that people will actually start this process towards the end of the year but hold off on crossing the spending threshold until January in order to bank the CP-qualifying points at the best possible time? Does that work?

Also, does anyone know if Chase at any point will get hesitant to issue the same customer another credit account? I think I currently have four cards with Chase...

Originally Posted by dsokolik
I have referrals available for both the personal Plus and Premiere 50k points offers on both. PM me if you need a referral.
How much time is allowed to meet the required spend?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: WN- AL+ Marriott-Plat
I have four Chase cards, when I applied for the fourth card I had to finalize the application over the phone. They asked a few questions about why I wanted the card. They approved the application but they shuffled the limits a little bit to accommodate my request.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
I have a referral for a 50K Plus card that expires on 9/30/14. This may be pushing it, but I am thinking of applying for the card on the last day (9/30), letting it sit for 3 months, and then right before 3 months hits, buy $2000 worth of amazon gift cards. I suppose I'm dealing with a few deadlines, and I need to know:

When does Chase consider the $2K has been spent, is it the transaction date, or the posting date? Need to make sure it counts before the 3 months is up.

Chase would post the 50K bonus to Southwest RR once the statement closes, I can only hope it would be after the first of the January.

The other option is to hope that Chase makes a public offer for a 50K card this fall, but seeing as how one just ended, is this likely?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by a91996
I have four Chase cards, when I applied for the fourth card I had to finalize the application over the phone. They asked a few questions about why I wanted the card. They approved the application but they shuffled the limits a little bit to accommodate my request.
Interesting, thanks. I think I will close my premier card next month and then apply for a plus card and a business card (I'm an attorney, I figure that should count) towards the end of the year or beginning of next year, whenever the 50k bonus is around. Not sure if that'll work (given I will still have a sapphire preferred, slate, and amazon card with Chase)...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mpeterson78
I have a referral for a 50K Plus card that expires on 9/30/14. This may be pushing it, but I am thinking of applying for the card on the last day (9/30), letting it sit for 3 months, and then right before 3 months hits, buy $2000 worth of amazon gift cards. I suppose I'm dealing with a few deadlines, and I need to know:

When does Chase consider the $2K has been spent, is it the transaction date, or the posting date? Need to make sure it counts before the 3 months is up.

Chase would post the 50K bonus to Southwest RR once the statement closes, I can only hope it would be after the first of the January.

The other option is to hope that Chase makes a public offer for a 50K card this fall, but seeing as how one just ended, is this likely?
IMO that's cutting things too fine.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by mpeterson78

I agree, that may be a bit tight, but I think it's possible.

I know Chase offers a grace period at the beginning - 10 days or so - to account for the fact they have to mail you the card. You would theoretically be able to have the spend deadline be somewhere between January 1-12, depending on how long it takes them to approve your application, and how long this grace period is. Then the key is to ask them to adjust your statement closing date so that it falls in early January instead of late December, because I am nearly certain the statement date rather than the spending date is what counts for awarding RR points, and you don't want the points awarded in December. The thing I am most uncertain about is whether that closing date has to be within the 3-month spending time frame. (If this makes no sense, just disregard!)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:55 pm

Unable to get the biz card after also getting the personal premier. Should i apply in couple months for the plus?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:04 pm

I read it takes up to 103 days for points to get credited to your Southwest account?

My wife was approved last month July 2nd 2014th for the card. We immediately racked up $2000 worth of charges. I already paid off the balance before the first statement.

This was 2 weeks ago.

How long does it take for the 50K bonus points to show up on the Southwest account? I hope it doesn't take till October 2014 to show up. Was wanting to use 2 tickets to Las Vegas.

With Delta Amex, my wife racked up the required spending amount within one week and the points were credited within 7 days to your Delta account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.