Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
Real Simple Question - Perhaps I missed the Answer

Hi

No opinion to provide, I'm apathetic right now. But.

Two questions:

1. I have a one-way RR left that expires in approx 10 months. If not booked prior to March 1, what will happen to that award? Will it change to 8 x 1200 points? Or do I just still have a one-way to redeem somehow.

2. If after March 1, I cancel either a one-way or round-trip RR, will those post back as 8 (or 16) x 1200 points?

Sorry, I just can't seem to figure that out - did I miss it?

Thanks so much!
EC T
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:24 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
I have a bad feeling that the points associated with Alamo rentals and Marriott Travel Packages just got slashed in half. I hope I'm wrong.
Not sure what Marriott is going to do on hotel credits from transfers, but at least on car rentals, you're wrong

Each car rental and hotel stay credit (which may differ from how hotel point transfers will work) is worth 600 points without any bonuses, which is $10 of Wanna Get Away fares. I expect we'll still see the usual double-triple-quadruple mile offers to make it that much better.
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I just ran the points calculator, and I'm around 120K points last year. Depending on how I can use those, that's probably a pretty good haul.
$2,000 of Wanna Get Away fares seems like a good haul to me, how many RR 1.0 tickets did that equate to?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG
So many numbers

This is a lot to digest. I used the point simulator/importer, and it told me I would have earned 361k points in 2010. If I'm going to hit the highest tier (110k) that quickly, I might be able to take on another program. With my CP and A-list previously being on different schedules, I felt like I was always chasing one or the other. Now that they are calendar based (I think), I should be able to shift business to a legacy after I max out on WN.

Much to think about...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by EC Traveler
1. I have a one-way RR left that expires in approx 10 months. If not booked prior to March 1, what will happen to that award? Will it change to 8 x 1200 points? Or do I just still have a one-way to redeem somehow.
The way I understand it, you'll still have a one-way award after 3/1. It won't be converted to points, even if you cancel the award ticket. You can also extend it for $50 up to a year after it expires, and it will keep the same rules. $50 for that could be worthwhile if you can use it right.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:29 pm

I think that is correct...

An existing award will follow the old rules basically until it expires. So if used correctly it could get a *very expensive* WGA (such as BWI to LAS for $275 or higher)...correct?

Allow me to ask another simulation question.

Right now, I really want to book an award flight on March 27th from LAS to BWI. Its a blackout date so I can't do it now.

Am I correct in seeing that on March 1st, no blackouts anymore, and any old-program award would be able to book on March 27th LAS-BWI even if the WGA fare is $275?

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
$2,000 of Wanna Get Away fares seems like a good haul to me, how many RR 1.0 tickets did that equate to?
I'd have to look, but I've got 11 awards and one expired/renewed freedom award.

I think I spent about $10K with WN last year. That number is slightly skewed since I used TTFs from 2009 to help pay for 2010 tickets. Not all of my tickets are the $39 ones. I've had a few BS tickets, and many Anytime tickets (including a few of the...gulp...$375-$400 ones). I also got about 39k points from hotels and car rentals (according to their calculator).
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Does anyone know what the transfer rate from SPG to SW would be?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:38 pm

1500 spg for one credit. If you transfer 20,000 spg you will receive 16.67 credits.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Does anyone know what the transfer rate from SPG to SW would be?
See the thread on that topic.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:39 pm

I just got off the phone with swa and if you have met the companion pass qualification prior to 3/1 your pass will expire 12/12.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FCfree
Suppose you routinely fly on $59 fares. If you currently fly 16 segments at $59 per segment, you get a free ticket that you could likely redeem on that same $59 route. On the new system, when you fly 16 segments at $59 per segment you earn 5,664 points. (16 x $59 x 6 points/dollar = 5,664 points). You can redeem that for $94.40 (5,664 / 60 points per dollar) Previously, you could redeem that for $59x2 = $118.
With the old system you could also redeem it for a $250 x 2 = $500 ticket (or more). Now you can ONLY redeem it for $94.40 (or less).

Let's not sugarcoat the obvious. An accountant is running the airline, and RR2.0 is more proof positive.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
No. 1500 TQP per $10,000 with a limit. See above.
Thanks again for the link to the T&C. Never thought to look there. let the number crunching begin!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: WN-CP,A-list; Hyatt Globalist; HH Gold; Hertz 5 Star; Delta
A-List & CP Question

Overall, I think this will be a change for the positive. Besides the fact that I can use some points for a cheaper flight (vs. the prior "all or none" even if I could use them for a longer haul) this really increases the value for my kids' ability to participate in RR in a meaningful way. In the past they have rarely accumulated enough points for free flights (no other ways for them to earn), but this will make it easier for them to use their points.

I'm still a little confused with some details. Perhaps someone can help...

1. I am 7 segments away from A-List. Does it seem worthwhile to complete the required flights before March 1? Will those segments qualify just for the initial A-list (to expire 1 year from qualification date) or will they go toward possible "preferred" status for 2011?

2. Is anyone clear how AirTran flights will figure into all of this? Knowing if some of their existing segments will continue under WN may help sway whether or I not I exchange HHonors and Hyatt points to renew my CP prior to 3/1? Also, are there limits to the amount of points that can be exchanged from partners.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by lorribarnes
1500 spg for one credit. If you transfer 20,000 spg you will receive 16.67 credits.
What will that translate to after 3/1? Any ideas?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by lorribarnes
I just got off the phone with swa and if you have met the companion pass qualification prior to 3/1 your pass will expire 12/12.
What if your current CP expires in late 2011, and you qualify prior to 3/1? Will that get a CP to 12/2012? That's what I'm trying to figure out....

Originally Posted by blueskynm
1. I am 7 segments away from A-List. Does it seem worthwhile to complete the required flights before March 1? Will those segments qualify just for the initial A-list (to expire 1 year from qualification date) or will they go toward possible "preferred" status for 2011?
The way I read it, is they'll do both. I'd shoot to get your A-list locked up before 3/1, as that means you should have A-list until 12/2012, unless I'm misreading something. Plus it's worth it to me not having to deal with checking in online or paying for EBCI.

Last edited by tusphotog; Jan 6, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.