Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA Silver, SkyMiles Gold, Marriott Platinum, Emerald Executive, Hertz #1 Gold
So what is the quickest way to transfer Marriott points to WN? Looks like we have about 8 weeks to get our CP status squared away.

Do we call Marriott? Southwest? Argh!!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:54 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by nsx
TMB, you are making it more complex than it is. After March 1, there will be no expiration dates other than December 31 for any elite or CP benefits. Start from that premise and you'll see that the December 2012 date follows logically.
Originally Posted by nsx
That answer was technically correct but incomplete. On March 1, the original Feb 2012 expiration date will be extended to December 31, 2012.
Sorry, TMB like others here, including myself, have reason to not trust WN when it comes to policy changes.

I hope I am wrong, but contrary to what SWABrian says, I get the feeling CP accounts that expire after 3/1/11 but have over 100 credits earned will not become 12/31/12.

I'm severely jaded from the Monster drink coupon fiasco.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
One quirk that I haven't seen mentioned yet (or maybe I missed it).

Buying BS now almost becomes a value proposition when the only fares available are BS and Anytime.

Using the example in the new RR FAQ, a DAL-RNO anytime ticket earns $384 x 10 pts/$ = 3840 points. However, for the $20 more, a $404 BS ticket earns $404 x 12 pts/$ = 4848 points - that's over 1000 extra points for only $20! Admittedly, that only buys you $16.66 in WGA redemption value, but the drink and access to FlyBy (for those who are not A or A+) seems reasonable to me.

This doesn't help the lowly WGA-fare guys like me, but it might convince me to buy up to BS if I'm ever in the "I need to go but no WGA fares are available" situation again.

(If my assumptions are off (or stupid), I won't mind being corrected...)
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: Airtran A+ Elite, SPG Preferred Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold, AGR
Originally Posted by jftino
As an Airtran Elite who typically flies BOS - BWI I'll be in the same boat. I mean, they keep talking about pushing this market but you look at the rewards program and geez. I mean 80 some flights for elite (just a quick guess)? That's crazy. Back to looking for another carrier. Sadly jetblue doesn't seem much better.
it's 25 flights for Alist, and 50 for alist+. Not sure where you got 80 for elite unless you're just looking at points.
I wasn't awake this morning and am on my phone. I should have looked closer as yes, I only looked at points.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Well, this makes it easy to say goodbye to WN for me. I only fly shorthaul with them due to the Wright Amendment restrictions out of DAL. (SAT, TUL, HOU, etc.) It would take me a couple of years to earn enough points for a free flight. Under the current program, I only earn about 8-9 credits per year as it is. Makes much more sense to use these flights as segment runs with AA and requalify for elite.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by skedastik
A: "Anybody who has 50 or more qualifying flights between 3/1/10 and 3/1/11 will earn the A-List Preferred membership, which will be good through 12/31/12.
This is a huge ^
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Welcome to FT, skedastik!

What a great first post! You answered some tricky questions very clearly.

Originally Posted by skedastik
A: "Anybody who has 50 or more qualifying flights between 3/1/10 and 3/1/11 will earn the A-List Preferred membership, which will be good through 12/31/12. The confusion here is that no 'points' will start accruing until 3/1/11, but you can still qualify for A-List Preferred status through one-way qualifying flights."
Excellent explanation. Now I REALLY need to update post 1.

A: "The Companion Pass qualification rules are exactly the same as I previously mentioned. It will be a credit-based qualification only until 3/1/11. The only difference is that credits earned through anything other than qualified one-way flight segments will be lost on 3/1/11, since this is the day the new points system begins. The trade-off however is that if someone has a lot of non-flight credits and is close, they have extra incentive to qualify before 3/1/11, because this will give them almost 2 years of qualification status (since it wouldn't expire until 12/31/12).
It really is feast or famine here. The March 1 cutoff puts you in one category or the other. I still suggest writing a letter with your specifics if you just barely missed out, but I understand that this policy achieves a very ragged balance that on average favors the customer.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:06 pm

I've this thread in its entirety and can't find this simple answer. If I fly between today and 2/28, do I get RR1.0 credits or RR2.0 points?

And just so I understand correctly, so long as I have at least 1 RR credit on my account come 3/1, I can collect rewards points and turn them into RR1.0 credits until I achieve 16 credits, at which point I can redeem my RR award for a flight of any length/fare?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: WN A-list, TSA-D Silver
Originally Posted by bon95

Nope.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pdalbey
I've this thread in its entirety and can't find this simple answer. If I fly between today and 2/28, do I get RR1.0 credits or RR2.0 points?

And just so I understand correctly, so long as I have at least 1 RR credit on my account come 3/1, I can collect rewards points and turn them into RR1.0 credits until I achieve 16 credits, at which point I can redeem my RR award for a flight of any length/fare?
1. Credits until 2/28, Points after 3/1.

2. Yes. See here.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by pinniped
Even if it was free standby only, that would have been a nice A-List Preferred benefit.
+1. This would have been HUGE.

Originally Posted by jrpaguia
This is a huge ^
Doesn't that contradict this post, where it sounds like A-list preferred is based on 2011 flights?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pdalbey
RR1.0

Yes, but subject to blackout dates and inventory controls
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Originally Posted by jordanmills

Nope.
lol, i dunno, bra.

Originally Posted by tusphotog
Doesn't that contradict this post, where it sounds like A-list preferred is based on 2011 flights?
lol, more WN contradiction.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:22 pm

Programs: WN A-list, TSA-D Silver
Originally Posted by bon95
lol, i dunno, bra.
Got to love that SWA IT. Thanks for the screenshot though.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I'm sure this cannot be answered any time soon, but I want to record my questions here while I'm thinking about the subject.

How will AirTran credits count in the new scheme? At first guess, I would say 1200 points per FL credit - but which credits? Will credits which have been earned on AirTran within a year of the merger of the programs but "spent" count toward A-List/CP totals? What about FL credits which do end up being transferred to Rapid Rewards but which are more than one year old from their AirTran earn-date?

I'm sure this type of question can't be definitively answered until the merger is approved, but it's always fun to speculate!

(OT, but this is going to be an interesting year for me WRT FF programs - all three of my main programs are undergoing severe change - WN, FL, and BD)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.