Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:14 am

awful

Unfortunately, I do not think these changes to the RR program will have the desired effect WN is seeking. WN still cannot satisfy two needs desired by business travellers; first class upgrades and points for international travel.

I fly a fair amount each year...split between personal and business. My loyalty is gone with these changes in RR. Also, I will be dumping by Chase WN card and I spend a lot on that.

Kelly might as well flush the cancel/change fee policy and start charging for bags right now. He has been trying to make WN look like a legacy for years. Just get it over with!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:18 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xadiohead
But it is much more of a devalue when you consider that if you book the Wanna Get Away fare, your reward flight must be Wanna Get Away and therefore is not flexible.
I disagree because the 'low' award class is now the entire Wanna Get Away bucket, which offers much more availability than the old Standard Award availability, and Southwest Award tickets will still be very flexible regardless of the class they're booked in since there are no change fees/award redemption/award redeposit fees.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:19 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uwfballfan
Unfortunately, I do not think these changes to the RR program will have the desired effect WN is seeking. WN still cannot satisfy two needs desired by business travellers; first class upgrades and points for international travel.
The new program will offer international awards, so your comments seem ill informed.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Pushing through credits to get new CP before 3-1-11

Originally Posted by nsx
If you can manage to reach 100 credits before 3/1, your CP will indeed last until the end of 2012. That's a stretch worth making, IMHO.
Is this official SWA dogma? I have 76 credits towards a new CP (current CP expires 8-2010 under Rewards 1.0 rules), and would definitely make a run toward getting 100 credits before March 1 if that would indeed result in issue of a new CP and extension to 12-31-2012.

Is this scenario covered anywhere in the SWA FAQ or elsewhere so that I would know with some assurance that it was worth making the run to squeeze in another 24 credits before March 1?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Boy, I bet I'm not the only one with my head spinning this am.

BRIAN:

Quick question. What is known about the 2 levels of Chase CC cards? I called Chase for more information and was told that it was "in the mail" and that the new cards are tiered cards. The first is a $39 to $59 annual fee, with the "Premier" being $85+. They told me that the "every dollar spent on the premier card would translate to a SWA TQP" Is that accurate?

I noticed at the bottom of the earnings page it says "Tier qualifying points are earned from revenue flights or through select Rapid Reward credit cards from Chase and are exclusive of bonuses and promotions"

If it is correct, I spend over $70,000/year on my Chase RR card (assuming I will get Premier), I would get A list preferred in no time at all as it only requires 70K tqps.

Clarifications would be helpful if you can Brian.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
Devaluation is the name of the game

Originally Posted by Chuck2009
This is a 25% devaluation of SW Rewards.

Assume hypothetically, same route, same fare every time. No matter what Southwest class you fly in, the multiplier of the cost to redeem vs what you earn is 10x.

That means it now takes 10 RTs to earn an award flight instead of 8.

Thanks for highlighting what should be most flyers' major issue with the new program. It's kind of gotten lost in all the confusion. I guess the positive comments are coming from those who are pleased that the devaluation isn't even worse.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by uwfballfan
Also, I will be dumping by Chase WN card and I spend a lot on that.
I am considering doing that as well. IT sounds like you get 2 points for every $ charged. Currently you have to have $19,600 in non-WN purchases for a free ticket which I can NEVER find any openings for on a LAS/DTW flight. that would be 39,200 points you would earn with the new system. Seeing it's 100 points/$ for an anytime fare it would mean $19,600 purchases would only be enough for a $392 ticket. Nice thing is though you can fly on any flight with enough points.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:27 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by david2son08
If I'm understaning correctly that since I have already re-qualified for my CP with 100+ credits and will remain 100+ through 3/1/2011, that my CP will be good until the end of 2012, consider me a happy RR member.

A question (and sorry if I missed it): Will any RR members be made A-List Preferred starting out on 3/1/11, based on history? Or will there be no A-List Preferred initially?
1. Yes, that's the way I read it. You might want to wait a couple days to be sure.

2. My information is that 2010 flight history will not be counted toward A-List preferred, meaning that very few people will reach that level before mid-2011. Southwest could change their minds on this, however.

Originally Posted by subodhgupta
My current CP ends on 5/31/2011. However, I have already earned 100RR point which qualify me for a CP renewal under RR1.0 which would expire on 5/31/2012.

Do I understand that my renewed CP will have an expiration of 12/31/2012?
I'm in that boat and that's how I read it.

Originally Posted by stallion114
Hmmm,
I have 55ish RR towards CP by April. 50 of them were earned since June.
Does this mean I have until 3/1/11 to hit 100, but if I do I keep it until 12/31/12?
Also does this mean if I dont hit iby March I lose all of it and start at 0?

I would literally have to hotel hop every night until March to do it.
But now I kind of want to just to prove I can.
For those near to qualifying, making the push to 100 credits before March 1, 2011 looks like an excellent idea. You get 22 months of CP for the price of 12.

Last edited by nsx; Jan 6, 2011 at 9:33 am
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:28 am
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
If you can manage to reach 100 credits before 3/1, your CP will indeed last until the end of 2012. That's a stretch worth making, IMHO.
I've already requalified for CP (expires 5/31/2011) so the way I read this I'll get an extra six months in 2012 on the CP. Nice.

What I can't figure out is if I'm screwed on A-list. My A-list expires 3/3/2011. I am already requalified. The way I read it my A-list will only be extended till the end of 2011, where I would have gotten it till 3/3/2012 under the "old" rules. Is that correct?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I wish they would let you pay part of the fare with points

It would be nice if they do what delta does and allow their card holders to pay with points/miles. On delta if you have an am ex you can use 1,000 miles to pay down $10 on a fare. I wish WN would allow this as well. It would be a great way to get rid of points that won't ever be used.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:32 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by swag
For the more frequent fliers, is there any rule against redeeming a RR2 award from points while you still have RR1 credits in your account? If not, having even a single remaining credit on 3/1/11 could be pretty valuable. If it's new, it would let you amass and redeem RR2 point awards, while waiting as late as 2/13 to convert points to get a RR1 award expiring as late as 2/14, when you do have a need for a redemption for an expensive last minute ticket. (Aside, I wonder how long that process will take, from deciding to convert until the RR1 award is available for booking?)
Paging SWABrian to answer this excellent question and idea...

The last thing I wonder about is RR1 capacity controls. The FAQ says RR1 expiration dates and inventory restrictions will remain. But as RR1 fades away, fewer and fewer people will have RR1 awards to redeem. If they keep capacity controls at the same level, redemptions would get a lot easier. But if they shrink standard award seat availability as the number of outstanding awards shrink, then at the end, it could be hard to find a flight.
You are right to be concerned. FTers complained that JetBlue did EXACTLY this after they switched to TrueBlue2. Capacity controlled seats became very difficult to find, and the online tools to search for them were withdrawn. It was even worse than finding legacy award seats for international flights. I hope Southwest doesn't do anything like that!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Beckles
The new program will offer international awards, so your comments seem ill informed.

So the new program offers options to redeem points for international travel. The details seem a bit vague...but OK. I still stand by my prediction. The RR changes still will not entice the population WN desires. I suspect that the customers loyal to the legacies, which currently offer international travel, will not flock to WN. We'll see.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:34 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KC
I've already requalified for CP (expires 5/31/2011) so the way I read this I'll get an extra six months in 2012 on the CP. Nice.

What I can't figure out is if I'm screwed on A-list. My A-list expires 3/3/2011. I am already requalified. The way I read it my A-list will only be extended till the end of 2011, where I would have gotten it till 3/3/2012 under the "old" rules. Is that correct?
No you get extra months of A-List, to the end of 2012.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
What about double dipping with Hilton? How many points will you get for that?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:37 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Beckles
I disagree because the 'low' award class is now the entire Wanna Get Away bucket, which offers much more availability than the old Standard Award availability, and Southwest Award tickets will still be very flexible regardless of the class they're booked in since there are no change fees/award redemption/award redeposit fees.
Precisely. The main restriction of WGA redemption is that these fares disappear (for most markets) 7 days before the travel date. So no last-minute bookings and no last-minute date changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.