Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Originally Posted by SWABrian
Lee, the answer is at newrapidrewards.com under "How To Earn">Partners.

The big difference is that the Premier Card offers 6,000 points (vs 3.000 on the standard card) on your Anniversary and it offers 1,500 TQP per every $10,000 spent.
But is it still true that every dollar spent on the premier card would translate to a SWA TQP. Is that accurate?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Originally Posted by luv2buynfly
SWABrian, do you have any information or timetable on the new Premier Card?
Having spent about 500k annually on my SW Visa, I simply LOVE the ability to "Buy" A List/A List+ status thought CC spend. This is a definite perk.
Agreed, if that is the case, I am all over it.!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I filled in more detail on the chase program a few posts above. Similarly to the old A list program, no amount of Chase spending can get this status. Only the first $100k translates to TQP, you can only earn 15k TQP that way.
http://www.southwest.com/newRR/termsAndConditions.do It can get someone nearly half way to regular A list or an eight of the way to A list plus, but the rest has to be from base TQM points... or the entire thing has to be from flight segment count.

One thing that I didn't find in on the website and many people are asking is if the CP requalification period is 100% met with 0 left to go, does that mean they will have CP through 12/31/2012. NSX's summary post #1 said that is in fact the case. However we're not finding anyting on the Southwest T&C or new site seems to confirm that.

Another ? is do they really intend to cut drink coupon mailings so drastically. It seems like if someone earned a CP using credit card miles that's 6 drink coupon books that they will now get zero for.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
At first glance, it seems like a winner for me as long as I keep flying WN a lot. My paid WN travel is exclusively short-hauls (MCI-DAL mostly) but they're rarely the $39 kind. More like $90 base fare each way.

Under RR1.0, I roughly valued my awards at $150 each way. Seems to me that as long as fly the elite level, I'm still in that ballpark. But...I like the added flexibility, the ability to use points on cheap flights to Dallas instead of waiting around for the "perfect" need. Plus, it sounds like they're beefing up the elite levels a bit, which I'll like in 2011 since I'll likely hit the highest tier. The new rules also take a bit of the sting out of the upfare when you need to switch from WGA to BS on the day of departure.

I think the unknown for me right now is what happens after I drop out of the elite ranks. Historically, I've had years where I've flown short-hauls every week (nonstop on WN) and then years where I've flown exclusively longer-hauls on a legacy. In those non-WN-flying years, I've converted Marriott points or used Alamo to generate WN credits for domestic award trips. I have a bad feeling that the points associated with Alamo rentals and Marriott Travel Packages just got slashed in half. I hope I'm wrong.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
My fairly quick (2 hour review) of this thread and the new program suggests to me that while there is some devaluation for those who fly the lowest possible WGA fares, it isn't enough of a devaluation to justify switching to a legacy carrier.

Suppose you routinely fly on $59 fares. If you currently fly 16 segments at $59 per segment, you get a free ticket that you could likely redeem on that same $59 route. On the new system, when you fly 16 segments at $59 per segment you earn 5,664 points. (16 x $59 x 6 points/dollar = 5,664 points). You can redeem that for $94.40 (5,664 / 60 points per dollar) Previously, you could redeem that for $59x2 = $118.

On the other hand, if you previously flew a lot on Anytime and BS fares, you are going to see a better return on your money.

But, the biggest factor will continue to be no change fees. Are you going to switch to United? Lets say that United is matching that $59 fare, which they often do. But, they are going to stick you for the bag fees, unless you are elite. And, they are going to stick you for the changes fees, even if you are a top elite.

The $150 change fee essentially means that if you buy either a one-way fare or even a round trip and then you change your mind, its a throw away ticket. No way I'm going over to United or Frontier given that fact.

Using the points is easier under RR2.0 than it was under RR1.0.

The fact that the points never expire, if you have activity every 24 months is an increase in value. Not sure it fully offsets the devaluation, but it is definately an offset. There is another offset in the fact that if you make A-list, there is a bonus to the points.

I'm still digesting this, and I'm thinking that a credit card (which I currently don't have) might actually be a better thing than it previously was. Right now, I lean towards Discover with a simple 1% cash back bonus. The $1200 spend = 1 credit was a bit more complex to determine its value. But, under the new program, its a pretty simple 1.67% value, assuming that you fly enough to use it.

Also, I'm thinking that there will be some other point earning opportunities that will come up from time to time, such as 25%, 50% or 100% point bonuses for certain flights. Certainly, the program offers this kind of flexibility for SWA.

Bottom line -- Net, it is a devaluation for those who flew primarily on dirt cheap WGA fares. It may have some increased value for those who flew primarily on BS fares. For the WGA fliers that did suffer some devaluation, there are some sweetners to offset it, such as points that never expire and bonuses for A-list. The no change fee thing (which I see is being advertised on TV again) still seems to be the deciding factor. Until the legacies figure this out and drop the change fee, SWA still seems the best for me.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh, one question about RR1.0 awards.

I have three awards:

- One expired on 12/26/10. I have not yet paid the $50 to extend it.
- One expires on 8/21/11.
- One will be earned on Friday, thus expiring in early 2012.

I'm about to book an award trip for April. (Literally...today or tomorrow, although I could in theory wait a few days; availability does not appear to be an issue.)

Is there any advantage to using one of these three awards vs. another? My plan was to use the 8/21/11 award now because I won't likely have another award trip before it expires.

What's the deadline to extend the first award? Will the new award issuing this weekend be treated any differently since it was earned after the program announcement?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by leeinct
But is it still true that every dollar spent on the premier card would translate to a SWA TQP. Is that accurate?
No. 1500 TQP per $10,000 with a limit. See above.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:05 pm

Point simulator

Originally Posted by bsdstone
I STILL don't see it!
Are you logged in at the top of the page?

Maybe it's been mentioned in passing; if I see it right the points they say I'd have earned from flights in 2010 are NOT accurate based on the fares I paid. They're basing it on an inflated typical fare, so in fact I'd have earned a lot less.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I just thought of another factor that is a BIG plus for the new program. My wife has 5 credits. Those are going to be converted to 6000 points. That means that the next time she flies, she can convert that to $100 instantly. Previously, she never was able to use her credits since she didn't fly enough.

This is HUGE, especially since it can be used to buy a one-way ticket, meaning an even lower number of segments flown before getting some return.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by mreed911
No, it means you get free flights faster based on your purchased routings. My example?

$59 ow AUS-DAL every two weeks. Booked in advance, fare is usually close to that.
RR 1.0? Need 16 credits for a free flight. (That's for a free round trip)

RR 2.0? Need 10 flights at $59 for a free flight at $59. That's five RTs to get a one-way ticket, 10 RTs to get a RT ticket.

Your math is wrong.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by FCfree
Suppose you routinely fly on $59 fares. If you currently fly 16 segments at $59 per segment, you get a free ticket that you could likely redeem on that same $59 route. On the new system, when you fly 16 segments at $59 per segment you earn 5,664 points. (16 x $59 x 6 points/dollar = 5,664 points). You can redeem that for $94.40 (5,664 / 60 points per dollar) Previously, you could redeem that for $59x2 = $118.
But that's just it: you'd fly the 16 $59 flights to earn the award, but then you'd likely seek to redeem it on a more expensive one-way. I fly MCI-MDW or MCI-DAL (paid), then seek to fly MCI-SAN or MCI-SEA on the award.

The $59 flier gets hit hard in the new system. The $100/segment flier seems to about breakeven if he remains elite. The Anytime/BS fliers do much better.

The legacies set it up this way too with RDM/EQM bonuses in premium cabins, although that effect doesn't seem quite as stark as this one does.

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Unless I misread something, you'd still be a CP if you hit 100 segments. Not sure if you qualified for your CP via segments or points, though.
I flew 73 one-ways last year.

The balance was earned mostly from car rentals.

I have to take a long look at AA and/or UA now and see if I can reach top elite status.

No animosity towards Southwest, no F-bomb's.

This is business, I will choose the travel partner that makes the most sense for me, until today that was Southwest.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by expert7700

One thing that I didn't find in on the website and many people are asking is if the CP requalification period is 100% met with 0 left to go, does that mean they will have CP through 12/31/2012. NSX's summary post #1 said that is in fact the case. However we're not finding anyting on the Southwest T&C or new site seems to confirm that.
Also if we are almost to CP requalification, do we have a chance to get there and get CP until 12/31/12?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I just ran the points calculator, and I'm around 120K points last year. Depending on how I can use those, that's probably a pretty good haul.

One thing that still irks me is the lack of multiple segment credits for connecting flights. If I fly AS/QX SJC-SEA-GEG, I get two segments. If I fly WN SJC-SEA-GEG, I get one segment. If WN is moving to a points/segment based program, it'd be nice if they credit those of us who fly multiple segment itineraries, especially when there are other nonstop or quicker options on other airlines.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As someone who only accumulates WN cretids via partners (rental cars and some hotel stays), and uses awards on last minute travel things are getting worse as well as short notice redemption is not gonna be at wga levels anymore.

Do I understand it correctly?

If so then it's another big plus in favor of legacies as they often release even more saver level award seats at the last minute while on WN it will not be possible in principle (rather pathetic gouging for unsold inventory IMO).
This will mean my complete separation from anything WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.