Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink coupon changes August 1, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
My experience

When you oder a drink they will mix unless you say otherwise. IF you order a double I find they then hand you two bottles and a full can so that is how I order (IF I have coupons)
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by sanFF
When you oder a drink they will mix unless you say otherwise. IF you order a double I find they then hand you two bottles and a full can so that is how I order (IF I have coupons)
Or ust go back to the galley after they have done their service to use the AFT lav with a coupon and ask for a mini (or 2) and they almost always give you the bottle capped if you are carrying it back to your seat.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Does anyone know if any other carriers have or would ever agree to accept expired WN drink coupons? I was thinking that this could be an easy gesture of goodwill and a good marketing ploy for a competitor to capitalize on WN's shortcomings with the handling of drink coupons.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Southwest Companion Pass
I always ask to mix my Jack and Coke. Most of the time I get the mini bottle less cap with the red LUV stick in it, cup of ice and can of coke.

A few times I have gotten a capped bottle, and I save those caps. I use about half the bottle cap the rest and pocket it. At my Hotel I transfer the remaining Jack to my SS hip flask in my checked luggage.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:52 am

Chuckworth,

That would be a brilliant move on the part of another airline. However,
don't you wonder how close the CEO's are of all the airlines? Otherwise,
you think there would be more of a "war" going on. You don't see a lot
of undercutting, do you? Just mere observation.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:08 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by laxabq
Chuckworth,

Get them to take home copied BS coupons and I'm in.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by laxabq
Chuckworth,

Perhaps. I also wondered why other airlines didn't launch massive ad campaigns when RR2.0 rolled out. It's so easy to attack...Southwest gutted their FFP, nobody else followed, so why didn't airlines run regional ads in prominent WN cities proclaiming that?

The only thing I can think of is that the general public doesn't understand FFP's very well so they're hard to market. But still, a simple illustration of a WN award that used to be 4 R/T's to achieve, then 8 R/T's, and now a far higher number of R/T's...and how the legacy domestic award is still 25k...might have been effective. (Yeah, we know the 25k domestic award is a pretty lame use of miles, but it seems to be the award that ad campaigns tend to highlight for simplicity.)
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by pinniped

The only thing I can think of is that the general public doesn't understand FFP's very well so they're hard to market.

Exactly. I believe true FFers are a smaller percentage vs. occasional pax on WN.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Perhaps. I also wondered why other airlines didn't launch massive ad campaigns when RR2.0 rolled out. It's so easy to attack...Southwest gutted their FFP, nobody else followed, so why didn't airlines run regional ads in prominent WN cities proclaiming that?
I was wondering the same thing. Or how being elite with a legacy provides a lot better benefits than being a-list on WN. For my flight Delta tomorrow, even if I don't clear the upgrade l it, I will have a better experience on my U fare class (second lowest coach fare on DL) ticket than I would on business elite on WN. I get to board with the first zone after First class, I have a GUARANTEED aisle exit row seat if I don't want to board first, I have a free drink coupon (which I can also use on a snack box which will be handy seeing it's a 9 a.m. flight and it's even good for a couple days so I can just use it on my return flight), I can check up to two-70 lb bags and if I did want to check a bag it would be one of the first ones on the belt.

The FF benefit I am surprised the legacies don't promote is free stand by confirmed travel. WN loves to promote their "no change fees" and "no baggage fees", yet even a-listers have to upgrade to a fly on an earlier flight and elites on legacy carriers don't. With the free bag fees, a-listers only get 2-50 lb bags. Most legacys it's 2-70 lb bags and if you get upgraded to first it's three bags, and even if you don't get upgraded your bags come out first.

I do remember Delta running ads when WN first came out with business select, advertising that they had a true first class product and WN didn't but those ads didn't stick around very long.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Michael El
Gary Kelly and company need to watch this.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJ1V8vBiiI
I tried this with my wife. She said "That's your pickle?"

Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SCGustafson
Getting back on topic, on my September 19th WN 2068 OKC-LAS, I attempted to use my "expiration date-less" drink coupons with no success. The FA suggested I mail them in a letter to WN asking for replacements under the new system, especially if they were ones bought at the gate when the cashless cabin was implemented.

I suggested this as well in other posts. If you mail a few back, with a letter saying that they were one of the rare ones that BOUGHT them because they said no expiration date, the people in customer service reading the letters have the ability to respond in a way that favors the customer.

They could easily send you new coupons as a courtesy, send you a flight credit, etc. A refund check may be very hard for them to process, but if they could find a recent credit card charge in your name perhaps they could in fact do a coutesy refund as well.

If 1000 people were affected, and 25 email, and 10 mail in letters with the unusable coupons attached, those 10 will be taken care of.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Wait....

...a triple Jack and Diet Coke and was rewarded with 1 unopened can of Diet Coke, 2 cups of ice, and 3 unopened bottles of Jack Daniels. An hour later, I repeated the order with the same results....

Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
I suggested this as well in other posts. If you mail a few back, with a letter saying that they were one of the rare ones that BOUGHT them because they said no expiration date, the people in customer service reading the letters have the ability to respond in a way that favors the customer.

They could easily send you new coupons as a courtesy, send you a flight credit, etc. A refund check may be very hard for them to process, but if they could find a recent credit card charge in your name perhaps they could in fact do a coutesy refund as well.

If 1000 people were affected, and 25 email, and 10 mail in letters with the unusable coupons attached, those 10 will be taken care of.

That is a good idea. Only problem is what if they send you more drink coupons instead of issuing a refund? Unless you fly and drink enough in a years time to use up all the new coupons, you will be stuck in the same situation again in 12 months with the coupons you didn't use.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Wait....

It was a 2+ hour flight, so was this dismay at too little or too much quantity?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
It was a 2+ hour flight, so was this dismay at too little or too much quantity?
Not dismayed. Impressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.