Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink coupon changes August 1, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by nshelledy
I emailed customer service last week asking if I could mail in old coupons for new ones. When I had redeemed my RR for a flight last spring, they forgot to send me the drink coupons. I emailed them and they sent me some, but it was after my flight, and I haven't flown WN since. I used this as the basis of my request. Anyway, they replied that they are sending me a drink coupon, but made it clear that they had given plenty of notice about the old coupons expiring.
You don't get drink coupons when you redeem RRs for a flight anymore, even if you redeem an old standard award; that changed with the launch of the new program last March. You are now supposed to receive coupons after you complete 10 paid (non-points or awards) one-way flights.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: AA mostly
Originally Posted by ursine1
You don't get drink coupons when you redeem RRs for a flight anymore, even if you redeem an old standard award; that changed with the launch of the new program last March. You are now supposed to receive coupons after you complete 10 paid (non-points or awards) one-way flights.
Sorry, it was spring 2010. Had I realized it's been almost 2 years, I wouldn't have bothered emailing them. Time flies.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
You are now supposed to receive coupons after you complete 10 paid (non-points or awards) one-way flights.
Supposed is good way to put it.

I realized I hadn't received any since 10/31 (I fly weekly). I called and they confirmed that I missed at least one cut since then and would send me out a book.

Another issue, the coupons are sent out at the end of the month. If you fly weekly you should receive 1 book after 2 months (16-17 flights), another book after 3 months (24-25 flights), and a 3rd book after 4 months (33 flights). It seems like I don't get that 3rd book - it always seems to average 1 every 2 months. Maybe I'm just crazy...but at least I don't count peanuts.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by TSparky
Maybe I'm just crazy...but at least I don't count peanuts.
Makes me wonder too if I'm getting them.

As a peanut counter, gots to say that is a good one...
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
Makes me wonder too if I'm getting them.

As a peanut counter, gots to say that is a good one...
Got a plane with WiFi on Monday and was so engrossed (and amazed) that I failed to count my peanuts. I munched them on down with my coupon purchased WT before I even thought.

(How's that for a single paragraph that references three different threads?)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:34 pm

Pretty good Ink, pretty good. I got a couple weeks of bags to count and weigh when I get home this weekend, time permitting...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:31 pm

Not true. I am sure there are some that do, but monsters are not doing well. with or without coupons. They will most likely be gone in the future.

Originally Posted by cxn
I am still ticked that they took away Monsters. Was told by a FA that the reason they did is because of all the FA drinking the monster drinks and not because the customers kept using them.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
Not true. I am sure there are some that do, but monsters are not doing well. with or without coupons. They will most likely be gone in the future.
I as an adult heavy drinker of straight vodka, had one once and puked. I used to trade my coupons in and take them home for my teenage son who enjoyed them...
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
Mgmt: Want to launch a new drink?

Provisioning: Sure

Mgmt: We don't want to give any away even though they cost us the same as our alcohol products.

Proviosioning: Umm. Ok. But won't that affect our true demand #s and reduce our distribution volume compared to our other premium drinks? What about our preprinted coupons?

(1yr later) Provisioning: Hey, Monsters aren't selling well.

Mgmt: Shocking. It must just be a terrible product, let's pull it, they had their chance.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by expert7700
Mgmt: Shocking. It must just be a terrible product, let's pull it, they had their chance.
Funny stuff.

However the real problem was incompatibility of a premium non-alcoholic drink with Southwest's (and other airlines') inventory system. FA's are prohibited from drinking alcohol on duty, so the inventory system need not police that against FA "shrinkage". However there is no ban on consuming non-alcoholic drinks on duty. FA shrinkage became a problem and there was no solution that was both customer-friendly and cost-effective.

Too bad Southwest didn't level with us about this at the time it made the coupon change. Most of us would have been sympathetic.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Funny stuff.

However the real problem was incompatibility of a premium non-alcoholic drink with Southwest's (and other airlines') inventory system. FA's are prohibited from drinking alcohol on duty, so the inventory system need not police that against FA "shrinkage". However there is no ban on consuming non-alcoholic drinks on duty. FA shrinkage became a problem and there was no solution that was both customer-friendly and cost-effective.

Too bad Southwest didn't level with us about this at the time it made the coupon change. Most of us would have been sympathetic.
I've heard that suggested, but can you reference anything solid that would support the theory that FA shrinkage is why Monster was removed from coupon usage?

Here's why I believe it's not true:

1) Restricting them from coupon usage doesn't change whether or not the FAs take them; they're still subject to FA shrinkage.

2) It's much more probable that, due to the fact that they could be dispensed unopened and taken off the plane, they were simply being redeemed with coupons at a much higher rate than Southwest expected; leading to higher rates of costs in both provisions and coupon redemption.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 2:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
1) Restricting them from coupon usage doesn't change whether or not the FAs take them; they're still subject to FA shrinkage.
But the shrinkage is traceable. No record of cash sale = shrinkage. No ability to claim you comped a drink when you actually just reallocated a drink coupon to the Monster you drank.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:28 pm

I suppose Monster being essentially in their own category could make them uniquely traceable, in theory. I've been told that right now there is no inventory control that links alcohol served to either coupons used or monies collected. Does anyone know if there is a system in place for tracking Monster inventory against credit card charges?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:04 pm

I suppose Monster being essentially in their own category could make them uniquely traceable, in theory. I've been told that right now there is no inventory control that links alcohol served to either coupons used or monies collected. Does anyone know if there is a system in place for tracking Monster inventory against credit card charges?

Last edited by DontCallMeShirley; Mar 21, 2012 at 11:30 am
Old Mar 3, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: HH Gold, IC Platinum, SPG Gold
Question

Are the "new" drink coupons with printed expiration dates being accepted even if they have expired? I have some left over from last year. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.