Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drink coupon changes August 1, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by SCGustafson
I did use my new RR 2.0 coupons for a triple Jack and Diet Coke and was rewarded with 1 unopened can of Diet Coke, 2 cups of ice, and 3 unopened bottles of Jack Daniels. An hour later, I repeated the order with the same results, while also using the remaining 2 RR 2.0 drink coupons for my row mates beers.
After six minis I am sure you were feeling good if all six went inside you and none inside your carryon
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
After six minis I am sure you were feeling good if all six went inside you and none inside your carryon
Had I brought more of my RR 2.0 coupons the expire on February 29, 2012, I would have probably upped my order and pocketed the extras. Of course, had they taken my "expiration date-less" ones, I would have left the plane with a fifth. I did keep all of the caps for future use. And yes, I did feel quite good and continued it well into the late night/early morning at the tables. (The key is too order talls at the tables, so that you get a double each time the cocktail waitress comes around.) The best part, I left the tables up and that even included the tips for each round.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
Not dismayed. Impressed.
Well, thank you then.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
That is a good idea. Only problem is what if they send you more drink coupons instead of issuing a refund? Unless you fly and drink enough in a years time to use up all the new coupons, you will be stuck in the same situation again in 12 months with the coupons you didn't use.
I have no sympathy here. If you cannot use the coupons that you purchased in 2-2 1/2 years, and WN says then says no dice, I am with WN.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:02 pm

Lack of loyalty

The drink coupon issue sure has brought a lot of response. I believe many people are insulted because SWA was supposed to be the airline that was different. A little nicer, a litte more consumer friendly, a tad more considerate basically a better deal for your dollar. What is upsetting people is SWA is
turning out to be just like any of the rest of the airlines and in many cases actually a higher price and less understanding consumer policies than the other airlines. What SWA doesn't see is the consumer will begin to react to SWA just like it is any other airline. A lack of loyalty and ultimately loss of $$. Ultimately it isn't the drink but the policies that are offending.
Oh well, it was a good ride for a long time....
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:10 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Priority Club Gold, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by SCGustafson
Well, thank you then.
Also impressed!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by lougord99
I have no sympathy here. If you cannot use the coupons that you purchased in 2-2 1/2 years, and WN says then says no dice, I am with WN.
If WN wanted the coupons they SOLD used within 2 years they should have put a 2 year expiration date on them and not sold them with no expiration date. This is the same as Macys selling a gift card stating it will never expire then deciding to put an expiration date on it. Or Walgreens sellig a gift card and then saying 6 months down the road it can't be used on food items (like what Southwest did by eliminating monster).
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:40 pm

James,

I agree with you. You don't add in a policy after the fact. It's like bait and switch. You sell one thing and then don't honor what you are selling. I remember distinctly SWA reps saying that the drink coupon booklets they sell don't have expiration dates.

You know the old saying, once they have your money.....
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Well I'm flying from PDX-ONT tomorrow via SMF. I have four of the new ones and may not have any left when I get off the plane. It will be one of my last WN flights as I'm burning through unused travel funds.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Michael El
Well I'm flying from PDX-ONT tomorrow via SMF. I have four of the new ones and may not have any left when I get off the plane. It will be one of my last WN flights as I'm burning through unused travel funds.
Well I only used one on each leg of my flight so I still have two left. If you get bored you can read about my drink experience on this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ellow-pax.html
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Michael El
Well I only used one on each leg of my flight so I still have two left. If you get bored you can read about my drink experience on this thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ellow-pax.html
Wow, given your behavior, I sure wouldn't steer anyone over to that thread.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:40 pm

Serving the bottle unopened is illegal due to SWA's liquor licensing which differs from other carriers. JUST ASK TO MIX IT YOURSELVES. Goodness.

F/A's that serve them unopened are breaking the rules and risking fines if challenged by TABC. AND YES< TABC does spot check. Certain f/a's may not care about taking a risk. But many, appreciate their jobs and do not wish to suffer any type of discipline. Legally or through the company.

Remember, there are people out there with real problems.

Originally Posted by laxabq
Lol, They need to watch the pickle video! Removing the cap on the bottle
for you can't drink it later is too much.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by DontCallMeShirley
Serving the bottle unopened is illegal due to SWA's liquor licensing which differs from other carriers. JUST ASK TO MIX IT YOURSELVES. Goodness.

F/A's that serve them unopened are breaking the rules and risking fines if challenged by TABC. AND YES< TABC does spot check. Certain f/a's may not care about taking a risk. But many, appreciate their jobs and do not wish to suffer any type of discipline. Legally or through the company.

Remember, there are people out there with real problems.
I'll stand corrected if SWA has a liquor license that differs from other carriers. Can you explain why this would be? I would have thought that all carriers fell under the same licensing guidelines.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:09 pm

There's no airline "liquor license" per se; they are regulated under a patchwork of multiple state licenses. My understanding is that the FAA or the federal government does not regulate the serving of alcohol; it is a matter left up to state governments. Generally, airlines maintain liquor licenses in the states in which they buy or warehouse liquor, or if a specific state they fly into/out of requires an airline to be licensed in that state. I doubt that Southwest's liquor licensing differs dramatically from other carrier's, although they may be working under a "most restrictive" policy (using the tightest of the state's they're licensed in restrictions as company-wide policy).

After this accident in 2007 there was some discussion of liquor laws and the airlines: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/19/us/19liquor.html

Last edited by ursine1; Sep 26, 2011 at 8:13 pm Reason: added reference
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laxabq
I'll stand corrected if SWA has a liquor license that differs from other carriers. Can you explain why this would be? I would have thought that all carriers fell under the same licensing guidelines.
Back when Spirit had business class, they would do a predeparture beverage service in business class but would not do any alcohol. Whenever anyone would ask for an adult beverage the FA would always tell them RK wasn't allowed to serve any alcohol until they were off the ground, so there must be different types of licenses for different airlines (not sure who regulates them since bars are always done at state level). RK is the only airline I have heard of that wouldn't do a PDB with alcohol for a domestic flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.