Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Drink Coupon Experiences Since 9/1/11 (*NO* ranting)

Old Sep 2, 11, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Just wondering how many people have had success using drink coupons that have no expiration dates. I asked the FA on a trip out on 8/29 and she said that she would still accept them beyond 8/31 (she was gorgeous btw OAK to ALB) but her co-workers wouldn't. On the return flight on 9/1 the FA wouldn't accept it (different FA). She offered to take it from me and destroy it, but I said, "No, Thanks".

Mod Note: This thread is restricted to actual experiences and direct comments thereon. All or most of the general drink coupon policy B&M posts have been moved to the mega-thread. Please fell free to help by alerting us to posts that should be reclassified.

Last edited by ftnoob; Sep 22, 11 at 11:58 pm
Old Sep 2, 11, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Welcome to FlyerTalk, wine_lover.

It also would be interesting to hear whether FAs are enforcing the expiration dates on the new fangled drink coupons, the ones with the partial name/RR number. I think August or September this year is the first month with any of those coupons expiring.
Old Sep 3, 11, 4:23 am

My "experience" will be to dump 15 3/4 books into the trash.
Old Sep 3, 11, 9:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
I was on IND to TPA yesterday and a older couple sitting next to me pulled them out. I told them I think they were expired at the end of Aug and they said there was no expiration on them. I told them they may not take them because they have new ones. I was curious to see, but then they never tried using them. They told me they had a drawer full of like 200 of them. Such a waste....

A side note on that flight I boarded B28 because I lost track of time and checked in 10 min late of T-24 and still got the legroom exit row window seat. ^
Old Sep 3, 11, 12:05 pm

Programs: spg (Plt) Hilton (gold) Marriott (silver) WN (CP & A-listerP) Delta Silver AA gold
On 9/2 used the old drink coupon on BWI-AUS. But on the SAN-SFO on 9/2 the FA made an announcement that this flight would not accept them.

Only have 2 unused so no big loss as DW and I have been using our up over the last 6 months or so.

It is a shame they are rationing the free drinks now. Still flying enough so I plenty of the new ones. And now that Air Tran gave me elite I should be riding in the front with free drinks.
Old Sep 3, 11, 12:10 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Last night, 9/2, the gentleman across the aisle from me presented an old tan coupon that was refused. The FA ask if he wanted to use CC and he shook his head no and ordered nothing.
Old Sep 5, 11, 12:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
We used two old tan coupons on 9/3 on a flight from LAX-PHX, and the FA took them without batting an eye! It's better to try than to throw them out; YMMV.
Old Sep 5, 11, 4:11 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM View Post
We used two old tan coupons on 9/3 on a flight from LAX-PHX, and the FA took them without batting an eye!
Please don't be that specific. I wouldn't put it past SWA to find out who the FA's on that flight were and have a talk.
Old Sep 5, 11, 6:40 pm

Yes, I wouldn't put it past them either. If they treat their customers
this shoddy, i doubt they are treating their employees much
better. It always woks that way at large companies.
Old Sep 5, 11, 9:42 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT GLOBALIST, UNITED SILVER, AMERICAN PLATINUM
I got shot down on 9/1 from oak to las.

I haven't flown on SW in 3 months and only will now if I need to bring my companion.

On 1/1, when my CP expires, my patronage of SW will go in the dumper with my now worthless drink coupons.

370+ flights over the last four years to nada.
Old Sep 6, 11, 11:55 am
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
We used two old tan coupons on 9/3 on a flight from LAX-PHX, and the FA took them without batting an eye! It's better to try than to throw them out; YMMV.
I had a FA (honestly don't recall the flight or route) say "I will never turn those away." I agree, better to try (but have some of the expiring ones available just in case.

In principle, I've got a problem with the new policy; in practice, it probably won't impact me much as I don't use them all that often; never on my outbound flights (which are morning flights where I'm going straight to work) and only occasionally on my return flights.
Old Sep 6, 11, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt, SPG, Hilton, Choice, WN, AA, BA, UA, HA, Avis
My LAX-OAK (one of my last, sadly, as I'm almost done with all my credits/points whatever they want to call them) on 9/2 .. refused taking the old coupons both ways.

Oh well. 4 coupons gone to waste in all.

2 more free flights waiting to be redeemed.
Old Sep 7, 11, 11:53 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Please don't be that specific. I wouldn't put it past SWA to find out who the FA's on that flight were and have a talk.
I wasn't that specific -- there are oodles of flights from LAX-PHX every day; how can you tell which one I was on?
Old Sep 7, 11, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
I wasn't that specific -- there are oodles of flights from LAX-PHX every day; how can you tell which one I was on?
They wouldn't. But I am sure they would know the FA accepted the vouchers if they have to turn in their coupons to account for the consumed liquor on board.
Old Sep 7, 11, 12:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
For the first time ever, I sat in 1C for a 4hr flight and had at least 6 drinks using the new style coupons and had a front row seat to the drink process.

FWIW, my coupons went right into the garbage. Every time I ordered, it was entered into the handheld. Towards the end of the flight, the liquor bottles were inventoried several times over.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: