Wiki Posts
Search

Drink coupon changes August 1, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP
Exclamation Drink coupon changes August 1, 2010

A couple weeks ago I caught a brief mention during a TWU556 (WN's Flight Attendant Union) webcast of changes to drink coupons coming "very soon." It turns out "very soon" means this weekend.

Effective August 1:
  • FAs will no longer accept expired drink coupons.
  • Current, tan drink coupons that do not carry expiration dates will inherit an August 31, 2011 expiration date.
  • Business Select drink coupons will be valid on the day of travel only.

Drink coupons earned with awards have been redesigned and should start reaching us next month. They will carry the earning Member's name and RR number, and will be valid for one year.

I am disappointed that we are witnessing the death of yet another storied WN perk (accepting expired coupons at face value). I certainly understand why ($$$), but still...

Last edited by curbcrusher; Jul 26, 2010 at 11:01 pm
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:24 pm

This airline is beginning to suck as much as the others. Too bad nobody else has similar NoCal-SoCal frequency...otherwise I'd be outta here in a nanosecond and begin earning rewards to international destinations.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:33 pm

More good news from Dallas!

I'm now keenly interested in their earnings call later this week.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
[*]Business Select drink coupons will be valid on the day of travel only.
Really? So all of us who take day-trips up to the Bay area will be boozing it up in BOTH directions? This is clearly a way to screw the Biz Select passengers (who are on BUSINESS TRIPS!) from using some of their coupons. C'mon...I like to have a drink or two on the WAY HOME, but certainly not at 7am on my way to a customer site.

Complete crap.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by auggie doggie
Really? So all of us who take day-trips up to the Bay area will be boozing it up in BOTH directions? This is clearly a way to screw the Biz Select passengers (who are on BUSINESS TRIPS!) from using some of their coupons. C'mon...I like to have a drink or two on the WAY HOME, but certainly not at 7am on my way to a customer site.

Complete crap.
Agree completely. Yet another example of WN screwing up its supposed efforts to attract business pax and recognize its most profitable customers.

I wonder how the WN PR guy who posts on here is gonna spin this one (his recent efforts have been laughable)..."We are proactively taking this step in response to requests by our Customers to help them limit their alcohol consumption. We take Customer health seriously, and this will allow us to show our concern and compassion."

It's on...NOT.

Last edited by smmrfld; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:01 am
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Another day, another devaluation.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:03 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott, Avis First
The MBA's and bean counters strike again!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:06 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

I promise you all, we are a long way from seeing the end of this BS.

Just take comfort in knowing that Gary Kelly will forever be remembered as the man who guided SWA through turbulent times without once taking his eyes off the rear view mirror.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
It's official--It's a 'we've done things for 10+ years but now its' time to change things up' week at Southwest. Vote on what the next change will be!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
It's official--It's a 'we've done things for 10+ years but now its' time to change things up' week at Southwest. Vote on what the next change will be!
They'll probably 86 the Wild Turkey. Why not...they're pissing on everything else that Herb institutionalized.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:23 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Are we being nickled and dimed yet? We were promised that would never happen.

Of course we were also warned:
Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
My eyes have been opened lately with the radically different direction Gary Kelly is taking the company. There have been several internal initiatives that have been implemented lately that deviate greatly from Southwest's philosophy of doing business. For better or worse, this is no longer the Southwest Airlines of the last 20 years..
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:24 am

I have some drink coupons with a 6/31/07 expiration date. My calendar tells me that date hasn't occurred. How could the coupons expire if the expiration date hasn't occurred?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Southwest is reminding me of Continental Airlines - who also is under a new CEO and has made some changes (no more meals in coach, cocktails for sale in First Class, etc)... they both are going into opposite directions than where they were going before the new CEO's.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, UA
Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

(No, that doesn't sound as good as the version on The Wire.)

I've got a lot of drinking to do. Shame I don't have a flight on WN this week.

Yeah, really. I want to know how much money they are saving on this.

It's no wonder my next flight to SEA is on AS.

Curse you, WN! You were so cool back then...

At this point, I might as well pay you $15 to check in a bag. (Not that I ever check in a bag. But yeah, why not?)

To CA HSR and driving disgustingly fast on I-5.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:09 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I have a huge stack of them. HUGE. Five years worth, to be exact.

If you're flying out of Tucson, San Diego, or San Francisco this weekend, I'll have them with me. Should I buy the entire plane drinks?

As much as I like Southwest, I'm starting to look at Alaska more and more on my twice monthly trips to and from Portland. If I could fly the smiling eskimo to more destinations out of Tucson, I'd be all over it. (Don't suggest AAmerican or USAir. Won't fly either of them).

Last edited by tusphotog; Jul 27, 2010 at 3:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.