Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt > Small Luxury Hotels (SLH)
Reload this Page >

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 59Impala
There is a Hyatt sub-forum for everything related to SLH, benefits, reviews, etc...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/small-luxury-hotels-slh-772/

would be nice if the forum would get a boost Cheers 59Impala

Paid stays are 10%+ cheaper if booked as an SLH member on its website. It, also, includes continental breakfast. (note from @59impala. I paid a 30% premium for The Plymouth Southbeach.) (antonius66 I observed 10-30% premiums for 2 hotels in Portugal over SLH direct, closer to 50% over OTAs)
A limited number of reviews of SLH properties may be found in the Other Hotel Chains Forum.
World of Hyatt members can earn 5 Base Points for every $1 USD spent on qualifying room rates and can redeem points for free nights at participating SLH hotels. It doesn't stop there, members can also enjoy exclusive in-hotel benefits when staying at a participating SLH hotel.
Complimentary continental breakfast for two
Complimentary Wi-Fi
Early check-in 12:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
Late check-out 2:00pm (based on availability at check-in)
One category room upgrade (based on availability at check-in)

Review Master Threads:
HGU New York: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1958701-hgu-new-york-slh-hotel.html
Byblos Art Hotel, Villa Amistà, Verona, Italy: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ing-hotel.html
SINA Centurion Palace - Venice, Italy - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...l#post31441012
Hotel Ranga - Iceland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1984015-hotel-ranga-iceland-small-luxury-hotel.html#post31442837
137 PIllars House, Chiang Mai, Thailand https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...hiang-mai.html
1906 Lodge Coronado (San Diego), CA: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...sland-slh.html
137 Pillars Suites & Residences Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/2007231-137-pillars-bangkok-small-luxury-hotel.html
Akyra Thonglor Bangkok, Thailand: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Opus XIV Bergen, Norway : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other-hotel-chains/1983274-hotel-opus-xvi-small-luxury-hotels-bergen-norway.html
Ambassador Zurich, Switzerland: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...er-thread.html
Inverlochy Castle, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...-scotland.html
Cromlix, Scotland UK: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smal...-scotland.html
Print Wikipost

Hyatt & Small Luxury Hotels Of The World Announce Partnership MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 7:18 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I booked a stay at a category 8 SLH hotel in Greece, in high season. Am extremely pleased with this redemption opportunity. Will review.
Based on my research and observations about SLH so far, I believe you have hit on the optimal value of SLH: points redemptions in the most expensive cat 8s during high season for destinations where cash rates are highly seasonal, such as Greece. There are a handful of these. For the rest it's pretty hit and miss, more miss than hit in fact:
- Cat 8 where rates are not very seasonal, most of those do not have cash rates over $700 per night year-round so questionable value of using points in those instances, and when they do, points redemptions are severely restricted and I could rarely find a string of 5+ nights where points redemptions were possible a few months in advance.
- Cat 7 and below: some of those points redemptions are fair and worth booking, but as a general rule there are no screaming deals
- Most hotels in low or shoulder season: point redemptions are subpar value, much better to pay cash
- Cash rates on hyatt.com often too far above slh.com, especially if you are willing to go with pre-paid rates rather than needing a flexible refundable stay
Football Fan likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Bad news: Tokyo Gajoen prices as a (Hyatt) Cat 7.
Good news: Point stay allows for up to four adults per room.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:00 pm

Are we posting reviews of SLH stays in this thread or starting a separate thread for each hotel? I recently stayed at the St. James Hotel and Club in London for a week and could give a short review of it. Short version is it's a great tourist location, excellent staff, but dated.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:19 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by useyourname
Are we posting reviews of SLH stays in this thread or starting a separate thread for each hotel? I recently stayed at the St. James Hotel and Club in London for a week and could give a short review of it. Short version is it's a great tourist location, excellent staff, but dated.
After consulting with the moderators, it was decided to start individual threads.
I have started adding the links to the individual reviews to this wiki, see above.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I booked a stay at a category 8 SLH hotel in Greece, in high season. Am extremely pleased with this redemption opportunity. Will review.
Which one did you book? I considered booking the On The Rocks on Santorini as an alternative to Mystique (via MR) but when I saw that the base award room was 15sq meters I passed since I didn't want to be stuck in a closet while on vacation. (Santorini Secret Suites showed no award options at all so I assume they were blocking high-season.) We are big Greece fans and SPG was the way to go...sadly now Marriott Bonvoy. It's nice to have some Hyatt options now available.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by christianj
(Santorini Secret Suites showed no award options at all so I assume they were blocking high-season.)
I think we'll have to recheck this in a few months but I suspect they do not block high season, it's just that they make very few rooms available for points redemptions so you will need to book 12 months in advance, pretty much. Only 3 months in advance (assuming you meant high season = August) is too late I am afraid. It will be interesting to test this very far in advance to see if they have rooms or not.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:17 am

@escape4....I started checking availability as soon as the Santorini Secret Suites came online with Hyatt for a June 2019 stay....so not 12 months but I would guess around 7-8. The message you get when you search made me feel like the hotel was blocking awards vs just not having any award rooms available. I checked multiple dates and always got the same message. Here's what the message says: (even if you search today for some availability)

Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:11 am

@escape4....I started checking availability as soon as the Santorini Secret Suites came online with Hyatt for a June 2019 stay....so not 12 months but I would guess around 7-8. The message you get when you search made me feel like the hotel was blocking awards vs just not having any award rooms available. I checked multiple dates and always got the same message. Here's what the message says: (even if you search today for some availability)

Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates. Explore our other rates or modify your search.
Is that not the standard message when they run out of award rooms? I might be wrong, but I thought this is the message I see for regular legacy Hyatt hotels where I frequently redeem points, but when the hotel occupancy is higher than normal and points are no longer offered.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:46 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

Originally Posted by escape4
Is that not the standard message when they run out of award rooms? I might be wrong, but I thought this is the message I see for regular legacy Hyatt hotels where I frequently redeem points, but when the hotel occupancy is higher than normal and points are no longer offered.
yes, when standard room is not available, this is the message.

picked a random date in September:

Old May 10, 2019, 7:58 am

@59Impala.....Your screenshot shows what is always shown when you get to the first screen but when you actually click on "select" and go to the next step....that's when it has always given me the Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates notation. I just entered the same dates you searched and once you click "select" it shows exactly what I said. (Sorry but i don't know how to post a screenshot like you did.)
Old May 10, 2019, 8:12 am

I booked the Santorini secret suites a while back for a 3 night award in August.
christianj likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:38 am
formerly a193991

@59Impala.....Your screenshot shows what is always shown when you get to the first screen but when you actually click on "select" and go to the next step....that's when it has always given me the Unfortunately, this hotel is not accepting World of Hyatt points or award during those dates notation. I just entered the same dates you searched and once you click "select" it shows exactly what I said. (Sorry but i don't know how to post a screenshot like you did.)
wow, you're right...
Old May 10, 2019, 8:41 am
Community Director Emerita

I booked Santorini Secret Suites for a 2 night award in Sept. Any thoughts as to which is the superior property between it and Marriott's Mystique?
Old May 10, 2019, 8:45 am

All hotels on the Hyatt page display the "from X points" message when you are on the first page of the search if you click "use points". Only when you see actually in the hotel specific search page does it tell you if points are actually available for use.
​​use.

I looked at the new Santorini hotel that came up yesterday to see if I wanted to try it instead of the secret suites, but it wasn't available. Appears to be in the center of the island with MUCH bigger (85 vs 35 sqm) rooms, but I think I'll stick with what I have anyway.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:34 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by escape4
[/list]
I don't mind paying 10% more, but this kind of 40%+ differential is disappointing. Are these both flexible? Or SLH was pre-paid whereas Hyatt is flexible?
I would pay about 10% more because that's pretty much what the points are worth 6.5*1.5=9.75.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.