Reload this Page >

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 3:11 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flashware
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: good award redemption rates
have you thought about simulations to check how much you will gain with these 4 trips per year ???

You can then determine how much it will cost you to earn enough miles to redeem for trips you want

If you can get your hands on tons of cheap AF/DL miles and find sweet spots to redeem for awards then why not

Flying Blue has the benefit of being able to double dip by also earning Accor Live Limitless rewards also.
Better than nothing , it is true that rates are not as bad as in other cases , however i wouldnt count on it , unless you are a big spender at accor (over 20k$/year)

One more to throw into the ring, Air Europa. The miles could sit there and turn into Avios......
that's gambling , i would rather avoid this strategy until situation will be cleared

All 3 programs I can credit my AMEX miles to which I believe that takes care of any miles expiry issues?
No , as explained earlier by beachmouse , so only transfer amex rewards when needed and keep flying regularly

Last edited by fifty_two; May 30, 2021 at 3:23 pm
Old May 30, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If you can keep good track of the non-flight FB miles, AmEx, at least in the USA, tends to have a randomly appearing 25% transfer bonus for a month or two each year for FB that can make it worth it to transfer speculatively. FB has its share of quirks, but if you can work with those quirks, you can get some good redemption values, especially if you have the flexibility to bite on some of their promo awards.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by beachmouse
If you can keep good track of the non-flight FB miles, AmEx, at least in the USA, tends to have a randomly appearing 25% transfer bonus for a month or two each year for FB that can make it worth it to transfer speculatively. FB has its share of quirks, but if you can work with those quirks, you can get some good redemption values, especially if you have the flexibility to bite on some of their promo awards.
I think any of these miles earned would be used for low value/mileage requirement redemptions so maybe it would be better just to dump into DL then.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 8:12 pm

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Lounge access, priority services, various fee waivers, baggage allowance, ease of maintaining status, an occasional upgrade would be nice.

>>> Reply: Probably around the 25k miles mark but varies. Work travel is uncertain.

>>> Reply: Economy (domestic mostly), Premium Economy (TPAC/TATL), occasionally Business (if the numbers make sense)

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Yes. Work and pleasure.

>>> Reply: Domestic US, Europe, Asia

>>> Reply: DFW/DAL

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: Yes. *G with Asiana (Diamond)

>>> Reply: Delta, Air France, Singapore Airlines (Yes, I know they're *A)

Other things to consider here:
  • I can get into Delta lounges when I have a DL boarding pass with my Amex Platinum card (Amex's website says "marketed or operated by Delta" so I assume this includes codeshares).
  • I'm basically seeking refuge from KE's atrocious (for status) program since Asiana is merging with Korean. Skypass requires 30k miles on KE metal which, given that I live in the States and am more likely to travel to Europe than Asia, there's no way I can meet.
  • Look like I can match my Asiana Diamond status to Delta Gold with a challenge, I suppose the important factor is ease of maintaining it afterwards. Based on my travel patterns Silver should be fairly easily doable. I'm between doing the DL challenge and doing the AA pay to play challenge or starting from scratch somewhere else altogether. Planning a trip to Europe this winter which should be enough to meet the requirements for either challenge. I work from home so my leisure travel will be mostly off peak.
  • Given that my home base is DFW/DAL, AA and WN are the dominant carriers here. DL would mean a connection if I'm not going to LAX, SEA, SLC, MSP, DTW, ATL or NYC. Fares tend to be all over the map, sometimes double what AA/WN charge, sometimes very competitive (NYC and LA seem to be very competitive).
  • Looks like partner EQD earnings are more generous with Delta than they are with American, at least in PE/Biz. With AA, I can book JAL-operated flights in Y with AA and earn 1EQM per mile flown for most fares which is nice I suppose. What are the rules for Skyteam as far as codeshares? Operating or marketing (DL's website doesn't say)?
  • My projected travel is 1-2 longhauls a year plus a few trips from TX to the West Coast plus work travel, and an opportunistic trip if I see e.g. $120 fares to NYC.
  • I'll most likely be flying with my cat when I fly to the West Coast.

Last edited by stupidhead; Jul 15, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Old Jul 27, 2021, 4:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stupidhead
>>> Reply: Lounge access, priority services, various fee waivers, baggage allowance, ease of maintaining status, an occasional upgrade would be nice.

>>> Reply: Probably around the 25k miles mark but varies. Work travel is uncertain.

>>> Reply: Economy (domestic mostly), Premium Economy (TPAC/TATL), occasionally Business (if the numbers make sense)

>>> Reply: Yes. Work and pleasure.

>>> Reply: Domestic US, Europe, Asia

>>> Reply: DFW/DAL

>>> Reply: Yes. *G with Asiana (Diamond)

>>> Reply: Delta, Air France, Singapore Airlines (Yes, I know they're *A)
Based on data you provided , i would recommend either DL skymiles or UX suma

DL skymiles is good if you can match mqm and mqd , but they are pretty high , on the other hand you can "enjoy all benefits" DL prepared for their members , get the skymiles credit card to get more miles and even transfer amex MR to your DL SM account

You already have access to DL lounges thanks to amex , and i guess you probably also have prioritypass , then you could go with suma if you fly mostly domestic DL flights in economy .

How many segments these 25k miles per year represents ??? if you are over 14 or 26 segments/sectors and you can do these with any skyteam airline then you have your status
Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Based on data you provided , i would recommend either DL skymiles or UX suma

DL skymiles is good if you can match mqm and mqd , but they are pretty high , on the other hand you can "enjoy all benefits" DL prepared for their members , get the skymiles credit card to get more miles and even transfer amex MR to your DL SM account

You already have access to DL lounges thanks to amex , and i guess you probably also have prioritypass , then you could go with suma if you fly mostly domestic DL flights in economy .

How many segments these 25k miles per year represents ??? if you are over 14 or 26 segments/sectors and you can do these with any skyteam airline then you have your status
Thanks. Just wanted to do a sanity check regarding going with anyone other than AA considering their massive market share from DFW. I have SkyClub (while flying DL/DL Codeshares - I assume codeshares are included because the language says "Delta marketed or operated"), Centurion, PriorityPass and a few other random lounges that I don't remember with my Platinum card.

The 25k miles/year would be split between 2-5 domestic trips (2-4 segments each round trip) and 1-2 TATL/TPAC trips per year (4-6 segments each round trip I assume). I have no idea what work travel will look like at the moment but it'll all be domestic. I'll take a look at UX.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
AFKL might also be worth considering if flying out of a DL non-hub in premium cabins, due to segment-based qualification (and giving 3x status credit for J).
Old Mar 18, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, AC, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond
Reply: Lounge access, possibility of upgrade
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: Haven't done much in the past 2 years but planning 2-4 trips, 30k-50k miles / year
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Reply: Economy but business if it makes sense.
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes. Mostly pleasure. Can travel at a short notice as work is flexible
(5) Which routes do you fly most often
Reply: Canada to Asia, Canada to US
(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: YEG but can fly from YYC/YVR easily
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: No (previously AC 35k but that was *A!). Approx 50k in Delta
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: DL, KL, AF

Currently booked a business class fare (Combination of Westjet/AF/KL - Z, C and I on different segments) YEG-YVR-PAR-ZNZ and DAR-NBO-AMS-YEG. Planning to credit to DL but not sure if I should credit to Flying blue? AF reservation page says I could earn 171 XP for the trip which would make me silver right away. And another similar trip gets me to Gold! Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Last edited by curlingfan; Mar 19, 2022 at 11:21 am Reason: Added extra info and clarification
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
II've been DL Gold Medallion the past 4 years, kind of by accident. I discovered that getting cheap J fares through Expedia packages could lead to ridiculous mileage earning way out of proportion to my spend (the "exception fares" rules). Since travel has been much reduced since Covid, I know I won't have any more status once they end rollovers. The benefits I've most enjoyed as a Gold have been the lounge access on transatlantic flights in Y, access to exit row seats, and the same-day change policy, but none of those are super-important. (I've had only one upgrade in 4 years, so that benefit doesn't matter.) I have Amex Platinum, which gets me Skyclub access when on DL (but evidently not partners? must be an 006 ticket) and Priority Pass, so lounges are less of an issue. I am willing to pay a few $$$ extra for the DL fare when it means lounge access via my Amex.

When my status runs out, I'm thinking I'll just start going for the lowest fares on whatever airline (not Southwest). However, I'm sure I'll still be doing a lot of DL travel, and I'm wondering what the best program would be for those flights going forward, given the info below?

good mileage EARNING rates, good award redemption rates, better award access,

Post-covid--probably 1 or 2 transatlantics a year and 5-10 domestic flights.

Usually economy, but am always alert for a J bargain and will snatch those up when available

Mostly pleasure, so I can choose

Mostly domestic, as per the answer to 2 above. ATL-Texas, NYC, and California mostly, plus various European destinations

ATL

Currently DL Gold, not likely to continue after Covid status rollovers end. I have about 70K miles banked at the moment. I also have about 120K Amex points, and after I get my next bonus, close to 200K UR points.

DL and other Skyteam. I'm mostly interested here in the best Skyteam program option for someone with my travel patterns and priorites (see #1). For example, going forward, I'm planning to abandon AAdvantage and just earn Avios on my domestic AA flights. Domestic redemptions are much better with them.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 1:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I’m curious what advice the community here would give to me on which FFP to credit all this stuff to. I’ve flown SkyTeam regularly over the years since I became a frequent flyer, but never enough to get status (I think I did 24 MQS on DL one year). Due to the big SkyTeam TATL sale a few months back, I find myself with a large number of trips booked on SkyTeam (mostly KL metal, but ticketed pretty evenly by KL and DL).

My base case is that I’ll do a DL status match challenge shortly before Trip 1, as Trips 1, 2, and all or at least the first half of 3 should be within the 3-month period. I know SkyPesos don’t have great value, but I’ve always felt it was generally best to get status with the airline(s) you actually fly with, and they’re usually the SkyTeam carrier I fly with most.

But that may well be a terrible answer, which is why I’ve come to this thread.

I’ve answered the questionnaire below and also laid out all the SkyTeam flights I have booked for the remainder of this year (plus a stub in early 2023 on the last trip).

Any insight is appreciated!

Questionnaire

Spoiler

SkyTeam trips booked in 2022

Spoiler

Couple of other minor notes:
  • For what it’s worth, I have a measly 2,500 MQMs that were rolled over from 2021, and a negligible amount of SkyMiles in my account
  • I may have a few more small trips – Canada-US, or intra-Europe short hops – to book the rest of this year, but the above trips are probably the extent of the long-haul travel I would do with SkyTeam this year
  • Please note my home airport of YYC – as a non-US resident, I don’t care at all about MQDs
  • I’m also trying to figure out what to do with my wife. She will be with me on all of these except Trip 4. She has no MQMs at the moment, and maybe like 30K SkyMiles, so nothing significant
Old Jul 13, 2022, 7:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I’m curious what advice the community here would give to me on which FFP to credit all this stuff to. I’ve flown SkyTeam regularly over the years since I became a frequent flyer, but never enough to get status (I think I did 24 MQS on DL one year). Due to the big SkyTeam TATL sale a few months back, I find myself with a large number of trips booked on SkyTeam (mostly KL metal, but ticketed pretty evenly by KL and DL).

My base case is that I’ll do a DL status match challenge shortly before Trip 1, as Trips 1, 2, and all or at least the first half of 3 should be within the 3-month period. I know SkyPesos don’t have great value, but I’ve always felt it was generally best to get status with the airline(s) you actually fly with, and they’re usually the SkyTeam carrier I fly with most.

But that may well be a terrible answer, which is why I’ve come to this thread.

I’ve answered the questionnaire below and also laid out all the SkyTeam flights I have booked for the remainder of this year (plus a stub in early 2023 on the last trip).

Any insight is appreciated!

Questionnaire

Spoiler

SkyTeam trips booked in 2022

Spoiler

Couple of other minor notes:
  • For what it’s worth, I have a measly 2,500 MQMs that were rolled over from 2021, and a negligible amount of SkyMiles in my account
  • I may have a few more small trips – Canada-US, or intra-Europe short hops – to book the rest of this year, but the above trips are probably the extent of the long-haul travel I would do with SkyTeam this year
  • Please note my home airport of YYC – as a non-US resident, I don’t care at all about MQDs
  • I’m also trying to figure out what to do with my wife. She will be with me on all of these except Trip 4. She has no MQMs at the moment, and maybe like 30K SkyMiles, so nothing significant
If you are more about upgrades and dont like to fly Y , then go with SM and fly with delta . however be aware that SM is probably going downhill , especially about miles and awards costs , so double check before moving all your trips there ,

If you fly J most of the time then a FFP status wont bring much
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Recently started flying Skyteam due to government carrier rules. I have not flown any Sky Team airline in over a decade. Please help me decide if I should do Delta Skymiles or Flying Blue.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: 30k-50k miles a year, approximately 12 flights
Reply: Full-fare economy for work (government travel), varies for pleasure but mostly economy.
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Sometimes. Work travel is mostly restricted to contract carriers, but I have had good luck with cost construct fares and flying preferred airlines.
Reply: domestic US, some Europe, mostly East Africa.
Reply: IAD/DCA
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: Yes. Premier 1K on United for the past 9 years. Not many miles banked because I am pretty good at using the accrued miles.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: United, Turkish, Austrian, maybe KLM.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 8:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by passioninlife77
Recently started flying Skyteam due to government carrier rules. I have not flown any Sky Team airline in over a decade. Please help me decide if I should do Delta Skymiles or Flying Blue.

Reply: Full-fare economy for work (government travel), varies for pleasure but mostly economy.
Reply: Sometimes. Work travel is mostly restricted to contract carriers, but I have had good luck with cost construct fares and flying preferred airlines.
Reply: Yes. Premier 1K on United for the past 9 years. Not many miles banked because I am pretty good at using the accrued miles.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Few questions to assess situation
  1. what are the contract carriers ? i guess it will be delta , but then what ?? AM or KL maybe ??
  2. whats the ratio between domestic and international flights ?
  3. where in east africa ?
  4. are these gov fares excluded by DL ?
  5. do you have priority pass + amex ? cause if you have status with other skyteam airline you wont have access to lounge while flying domestic
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by passioninlife77

(8) Preferred Airlines
(3) Assuming that this is federal government travel, are you sure that you generally will use YCA fares and not HCA? The main difference is last seat availability, which would suggest that the flights are being booked at the last minute. At least some agencies discourage the more expensive YCA fares unless they're necessary for the mission.

(1) For free elite upgrades on domestic DL flights, all DL elites are prioritized above all FB (AF/KLM) and other eligible partner elites. However, depending on routes and day of week/time of day, I wouldn't expect a Gold (50,000 status miles level) to get many upgrades to domestic FC. C+ (extra legroom seats at the front of coach with free drinks) are more likely, especially if you're willing to accept a middle seat and the ticket isn't issued at the very last minute.

To attempt to answer some of the questions asked above, yes, DL government fares earn full FF credit and are eligible for elite benefits.

For foreign trips, DL marketed flights would be allowed, so the the government traveler is allowed to fly on KLM, AM, AF, KE etc. operated flights provided that a DL flight number (codeshare) is used.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:17 pm
KFF

>>> Reply:No matter the program I will end up at the highest tier so difficulty to reach the highest tier isn't a concern. It'd be fair to just compare highest reward tiers.

In general the most important things for me will be comfort in airports and flight e.g. extra legroom, upgrades, lounge access, priority bag collection and security

Benefits that decrease my expenditures while abroad will be immensely useful for helping with my savings. (I'm a contractor so free food and drinks will be useful as I cant expense them to a company, the only thing that gets payed for is hotel and travel).

I also really put value in earning miles and membership benefits that extend beyond my job. (e.g. British Airways EC gives me the ability to get lifetime gold membership; some airlines have more frequent and valuable miles and some have longer times till expiry) long lasting miles would be ideal as it would pay for my holidays up until they expire. I may not have this job in two years time so if I can get more out of it I will.

Partnerships with hotels will also help as I need to sign up to many hotel loyalty programs too.

>>> Reply:~200 flights yearly

>>> Reply:Economy

>>> Reply: No choice, ability to upgrade on own dime. Travel is for work.

>>> Reply: Europe 50% of the time rest of the world the rest.

>>> Reply: ased in Europe, Not a specific country

>>> Reply: No, I've not flown for years.

>>> Reply: no preference

Thanks for reading, as I'm new to the frequent flyer world any information and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.