Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 6, 16, 4:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 12, 19, 4:29 pm

Programs: LH, AF, QF
Thanks Mwenezi!
Old Jan 29, 19, 7:09 am

Hi,

I've recently started traveling on ST for business. Wondering which program would be best for me, if there's any advice you can provide, it'd be really appreciated!

I looked mostly at FB and SkyMiles. I've joined FB and started earning, but I'm looking for planning over the next year. I saw on SkyMiles, I'd be able to status match BAEC Bronze to Silver Medallion, which would be useful (though I'm not sure if that would get me priority boarding on KL/AF?). Also, it seems like I'd earn more miles per trip since the revenue based earning for FB works out to less than crediting to SkyMiles (with decent fare classes).

I'm mostly hoping to earn miles to use for holidays so I think in order it'd be:
- Good award redemption rates and award access
- Good earning potential
- Lounge access/Upgrades

I'm currently taking 4 segments each week (totaling about 550 miles each way) and planning on doing so until May/June. Afterwards, I'm not so sure, but potentially a similar arrangement all year.
I'd probably have a few long haul segments each year (>10 hours)

Basically all economy, though usually higher fare classes since I'm booking about 2 weeks out

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I'm basically tied to KL/AF for now.

Short-haul inter-EU

NCL/MAN/LON

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
BAEC Bronze. I've been using FB as default for now, with about 3000 miles now.

None

Thanks for any help!
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:04 am

Programs: FB Plat
If by short-haul you mean that you will have domestic flights, FB is a no-no. If it's just intra-europe, it is doable for you to reach status with FB.
The Skymiles status match is an interesting boost, as such that program might end up being more interesting for you. Plus, as you will more likely fly long-haul with Delta than AF/KL, you will have better chances of upgrade with Skymiles.
Old Feb 3, 19, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz View Post
If by short-haul you mean that you will have domestic flights, FB is a no-no. If it's just intra-europe, it is doable for you to reach status with FB.
The Skymiles status match is an interesting boost, as such that program might end up being more interesting for you. Plus, as you will more likely fly long-haul with Delta than AF/KL, you will have better chances of upgrade with Skymiles.
im flying intra-Europe, but not domestic, so I should be able to make 5 xp per flight. I had a look at sky miles and it seems like Iíll be earning the same or fewer miles (since the flights are relatively short) and it will take me a while to earn skyteam elite plus (50 segments after my status match?). My long haul travel will hopefully stay on OW, so Iím mainly looking at short haul within Europe and redemption flights.

My main questions are:

Is it relatively better to have FB status vs Skymiles status when flying on KLM/AF? And is ex-Europe redemption better on FB or Skymiles?

Old Feb 4, 19, 2:10 am

Miles-wise, it is Skypesos vs Flying Blue cents. The main difference between both programs is about reaching Elite+ more quickly. With FB, it is harder to reach the Elite+ status at first, then it is easier to maintain it. It is true that a mix of Economy intra-europe and a few long-haul flights are more likely to generate good XP on FB, than to produce qualifying miles or flights.
I read multiple times that UX's program, SUMA, could also be a fit. You might have a look at it.
Old Feb 4, 19, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Zarmakuizz View Post
Miles-wise, it is Skypesos vs Flying Blue cents. The main difference between both programs is about reaching Elite+ more quickly. With FB, it is harder to reach the Elite+ status at first, then it is easier to maintain it. It is true that a mix of Economy intra-europe and a few long-haul flights are more likely to generate good XP on FB, than to produce qualifying miles or flights.
I read multiple times that UX's program, SUMA, could also be a fit. You might have a look at it.
It seems like either way, I won't have good redemption opportunities, so it's more a case of what gets me better perks. I've read that Skymiles medallion members are typically better treated in ST flights (more upgrades etc), is that still true? Or would it be better to be a FB status holder given that I'm traveling on KLM/AF?

Thanks! I'll have a look at SUMA.
Old Feb 4, 19, 9:10 am

I lack experience on the matter.
For what I have read here and there, both DL and AF/KL blame the other airline for not treating their FFP flyers properly, still it seems that Skymile flyers get more advantages on a AF/KL flight than a FB flyer on a DL flight.
Then, you are in Europe, and having benefits on a AF/KL European partner airlines is easier being a FB flyer than a Skymiles flyer.

Go for the airline you believe will grant you STE+ more quickly.
Old Feb 4, 19, 1:57 pm

Thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 7, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Hi folks... I'm currently a FB Silver member per a few LAX-CDG premium trips per year at my last job. Well now I've changed jobs to a startup with a strict economy cabin policy (eeesh!). I will be flying LAX-LON 4-6x per year (likely DL or Virgin metal), all economy (pray for me), as well as a fair amount of domestic travel out for LAX and BUR.

I'm trying to decide whether to requalify for FB Silver or go for Delta Silver instead. In order, my priorities would be: chances to upgrade for miles on LAX-LON flights, better economy seat choices, free domestic upgrades. I have a lot of transferable miles I can move into either program (from Amex or Chase).

Per the Delta and FB calculators, it would take about 4 round-trips to London to qualify for Silver in each, so that isn't a real consideration. Gold seems unlikely based on other travel.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Last edited by dyrewolf31; Feb 7, 19 at 6:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 7, 19, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by dyrewolf31 View Post
Hi folks... I'm currently a FB Silver member per a few LAX-CDG premium trips per year at my last job. Well now I've changed jobs to a startup with a strict economy cabin policy (eeesh!). I will be flying LAX-LON 4-6x per year (likely DL or Virgin metal), all economy (pray for me), as well as a fair amount of domestic travel out for LAX and BUR.

I'm trying to decide whether to requalify for FB Silver or go for Delta Silver instead. In order, my priorities would be: chances to upgrade for miles on LAX-LON flights, better economy seat choices, free domestic upgrades. I have a lot of transferable miles I can move into either program (from Amex or Chase).

Per the Delta and FB calculators, it would take about 4 round-trips to London to qualify for Silver in each, so that isn't a real consideration. Gold seems unlikely based on other travel.

To choose, have in mind that you wonít earn miles/XP in Flying Blue on flights operated by VS even if DL-coded.
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 2mm, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post

To choose, have in mind that you wonít earn miles/XP in Flying Blue on flights operated by VS even if DL-coded.
Ahhh that's an important detail. I thought all 3 companies were in a JV, but I guess I was wrong.
Old Feb 14, 19, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Ahhh that's an important detail. I thought all 3 companies were in a JV, but I guess I was wrong.
it should be the case soon. And AF has just been cleared by EU for their stake in VS, so I am guessing that reciprocal benefits between FB and VS program is on the way. But right now, nothing.
Old Feb 18, 19, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM

If you are based in LA, and will be flying out of LAX domestically, I would do DL for sure.
If nothing else, DL Silver gives your preferred seating at booking, which includes the exit row.
Also, you would not be that far from Gold, which is a big deal flying international, as it you you ST Elite + benefits, like lounge and faster immigration sometimes. MQD may be an issue, but you can do AF/KLM booking an increase your MQD's.
Old Feb 24, 19, 8:55 pm

Programs: SK, LH, A3, SQ, KL, AA, UA, DL and more.
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:
Baggage, lounge
>>> Reply:
less than 25K
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:
economy, premium economy
>>> Reply:
Sometimes. Pleasure and study.
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:
Europe
>>> Reply:
HAU and SVG
>>> Reply:
Basic in all alliances. Basically starting fresh.
>>> Reply:
KLM. (I do fly with SAS and Norwegian as well, but as far as I can see there is no way to combine them.
Old Feb 24, 19, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marcus Myge View Post
>>> Reply:
Baggage, lounge
>>> Reply:
less than 25K
<snip>
>>> Reply:
KLM. (I do fly with SAS and Norwegian as well, but as far as I can see there is no way to combine them.
With only a few lost cost flights in random airlines, including low cost carriers (Norwegian) you will not get much from any ffp or alliance.

From your profile: Programs: SK, LH, A3, SQ, KL, AA, UA, DL and more.
Many of those are in the same alliance, so having multiple ffp's is generally not a good idea unless you fly a lot, and then some. You could credit to 1 ffp in each of the 3 major alliances.
A guide-->https://www.wheretocredit.com/

Search this Thread