Reload this Page >

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:21 am

Are there any SkyTeam programs that allow retroactive mileage crediting for up to 1 year after the flights, and before membership began?

Trying to credit some flights taken in summer 2016.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Originally Posted by flyer05
Are there any SkyTeam programs that allow retroactive mileage crediting for up to 1 year after the flights, and before membership began?

Trying to credit some flights taken in summer 2016.
6 months after the flight for Flying Blue, even for non yet members
Old Apr 12, 2017, 4:43 pm

>>> Reply: lounge access, upgrades

>>> Reply: 40-50k miles; 40-50 flights

>>> Reply: economy (short-haul) [80/90% of flights]; premium economy/business (long-haul)

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Choose airline mostly based on price. Work and pleasure.

>>> Reply: domestic Brazil; transatlantic

>>> Reply: GIG

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: LATAM Platinum

>>> Reply: Any
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
where to credit a Skyteam family trip in J

I'm new to FT, so I apologize if the answer to this question is somewhere else. I searched, but couldn't find it.

I have purchased 4 r/t business class tickets ORD-ATH on Sky Team for a family trip in Sept. ORD-FCO-ATH on Alitalia on the outbound, and ATH-CDG-ORD on AF on the return. I don't have status on any airline at the moment. We fly often, but I haven't managed to line up enough long haul trips with the same alliance to qualify for anything that matters.
I have seen a few posts about family FF accounts being available on a few airlines. Is there anywhere I could credit these flights that would allow me to earn credit towards status for the flights I buy for my children? Even if not possible with Skyteam, is it possible elsewhere? In which case I would book my future trips somewhere else. At present, I have to be the least efficient frequent flyer imaginable. Buying 4 tickets at a time I usually pick what is cheapest/most convenient, and end up with 4 people with 15-20k EQM on 3 different airlines, which gets me nothing. Thanks for any help.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by goldmarch
I have purchased 4 r/t business class tickets ORD-ATH on Sky Team for a family trip in Sept. ORD-FCO-ATH on Alitalia on the outbound, and ATH-CDG-ORD on AF on the return. I don't have status on any airline at the moment. We fly often, but I haven't managed to line up enough long haul trips with the same alliance to qualify for anything that matters.

I have seen a few posts about family FF accounts being available on a few airlines. Is there anywhere I could credit these flights that would allow me to earn credit towards status for the flights I buy for my children? Even if not possible with Skyteam, is it possible elsewhere? In which case I would book my future trips somewhere else. At present, I have to be the least efficient frequent flyer imaginable. Buying 4 tickets at a time I usually pick what is cheapest/most convenient, and end up with 4 people with 15-20k EQM on 3 different airlines, which gets me nothing. Thanks for any help.
Are any flights codeshares? What fare booking class?
What ffp's are you a member of now?

A minority of ffp's allow pooling of ff miles (not status). With a very few ffp's ff miles can be transferred for a $ fee, The cost makes it poor value and not worth it most times.

Look here where ff miles of the airline can be credited to
www.wheretocredit.com/af
http://www.wheretocredit.com/alitalia

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 23, 2017 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:36 pm

I'm new to FT, so I apologize if the answer to this question is somewhere else. I searched, but couldn't find it.

There are several frequent flyer programs that have a "family" plan:

SkyTeam - Korean Airlines

Star Alliance - Asiana Airlines, ANA

OneWorld - British Airways, Japan Airlines

Other - Emirates, Etihad, JetBlue
Old Apr 25, 2017, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Qantas QF has free transfers to eligible family members.
Virgin Australia VA has a family polling scheme

Read recently on FT, that with EK the second person pooling to the family plan gets reduced ff miles (Or it may have been another ffp)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler

EgyptAir for Star Alliance. It works even for the main account holder's earning elite status based on relative's flights.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
thank you for EgyptAir idea

Originally Posted by GUWonder
EgyptAir for Star Alliance. It works even for the main account holder's earning elite status based on relative's flights.
Thanks for this recommendation. From what I was able to find online (the Points Guy wrote an article about this program), it appears that it would be pretty easy for me to earn and maintain status on EgyptAir with a couple of long flights on Star Alliance with the family each year. Do Star Alliance elites have any upgrade priority when traveling on partner airlines? If so, this could be very useful for me when flying on Lufthansa or United. We have lots of RDMs on United from credit cards, but I often hesitate to purchase upgradable economy tickets because I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that without status the upgrades won't clear.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Thanks for this recommendation. From what I was able to find online (the Points Guy wrote an article about this program), it appears that it would be pretty easy for me to earn and maintain status on EgyptAir with a couple of long flights on Star Alliance with the family each year. Do Star Alliance elites have any upgrade priority when traveling on partner airlines? If so, this could be very useful for me when flying on Lufthansa or United. We have lots of RDMs on United from credit cards, but I often hesitate to purchase upgradable economy tickets because I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that without status the upgrades won't clear.
since you are considering Egypt air, you should continue the discussion in the star alliance forum and not this skyteam forum.

FYI, Aegean miles and bonus (also star alliance) also has pooling for up to 5 members.
Old May 13, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK *G, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I will be flying return DXB-JFK for pleasure 3-4 times per year from now on. I compared rates across several months and Aeroflot seems to be the cheapest with reasonable stopover times - however, not sure if their FFP is the best choice for me as I will be flying with Aeroflot only for the DXB-JFK segments and not for my work trips. Currently, I mostly look at EK for Business/Pleasure due to its DXB hub - travel about 50k miles per year with them, but open to switching to Skyteam in the future. I am looking for a program with good mile redemptions, and mile/status expiry periods. Appreciate your advice. Thanks!

>>> Reply: Mile Redemption Rates, Mile/Status Expiry

>>> Reply: 50k miles

>>> Reply: Economy

>>> Reply: Work: Yes. Work and pleasure.

>>> Reply: DXB-JFK, Europe Middle East India Africa

>>> Reply: DXB

>>> Reply: EK Silver

>>> Reply: Any
Old May 14, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Family sign up

I mainly fly BA and easyJet (U2). This year doing some sectors for leisure with the family on Vietnam (VN). Want some advice on where to credit, could be a very long time before the kids earn enough credits to book a redemption! So looking for a Sky Team FFP with family membership like BA EC has, or cheap/free transfers/pooling, or good partners for points transfer out to a major hotel scheme, or means to transfer in or earn (from the UK) so as to maintain or increase the points balance. No interest in status.

>>> Reply: award redemption

less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.

>>> Reply: 25k miles, 50 sectors

first, business, premium economy, economy

>>> Reply: economy SH; PE or Business LH

>>> Reply: sometimes; almost all flying is for business

transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.

>>> Reply: various EU short haul

>>> Reply: LON family of airports

>>> Reply: 1W Sapphire, 175k Avios

>>> Reply: Mostly fly long haul BA/AA or Virgin Atlantic or Air France (AF)
Old May 16, 2017, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by memesweeper
...This year doing some sectors for leisure with the family on Vietnam (VN). Want some advice on where to credit, could be a very long time before the kids earn enough credits to book a redemption! So looking for a Sky Team FFP with family membership like BA EC has, or cheap/free transfers/pooling, or good partners for points transfer out to a major hotel scheme, or means to transfer in or earn (from the UK) so as to maintain or increase the points balance. No interest in status.
What booking class ?
http://www.wheretocredit.com/vietnam-airlines
DL ff miles do not (currently) expire

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html
Old May 17, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Going to be economy unless there's an upgrade offer, exact booking class unknown as the OTAs I've checked so far don't want to tell me :-(

Looks like our local obvious choice of Flying Blue is a poor choice, 20 month points expiry is hopeless.
KE Korean is better, 10 year points expiry and a family plan too
DL has no family plan but never expires...

anything else to consider?

Last edited by memesweeper; May 17, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I'm flying Delta business class (D1) TPAC 3-4x a year, along with one or two leisure business class flights to Europe from Asia. I usually use points for my wife's leisure tickets. I will be just hitting over Delta Diamond with about 135k MQM this year. But I'm realizing that with business class I'm pretty much buying all the benefits I'd be getting as a ST E+ with the exception of Delta GUC, elite bonus miles, and elite customer service. I'd also be giving up some SPG/Delta crossover points. So my alternative is to switch everything over to Korean Airlines and target lifetime ST E+ at 500k miles which would otherwise require Delta 2MM. What do you ST gurus think?

>>> Reply: Business class awards for my wife, lifetime ST E+, and lounge access (though Priority Pass is a reasonable alternative to ST lounges)

>>> Reply: 100-125k miles, 12 sectors (basically 5-6 long haul roundtrips). So Delta Diamond at 125k takes a little effort but I can easily hit 100k/yr.

>>> Reply: Business

>>> Reply: Yes. Work and pleasure.

>>> Reply: TPE-DTW for work.

>>> Reply: TPE

>>> Reply: DL Platinum currently but will hit Diamond this year. 200k SM so far this year, Delta really gives a lot of bonus miles to elites flying business class on DL, AF/KLM, and MU. OTOH, the rest of ST partner earning is severely reduced.

>>> Reply: DL for work then CI (based at TPE), KE, KLM, then MU (in that order). Would be nice to get full earnings on the rest of ST partners too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.