Reload this Page >

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:13 am

Thanks a lot,

Shuly
Old Jul 3, 2023, 4:13 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Originally Posted by shuly

>>> Reply: The benefits of status when flying Y (INOPS, upgrades, lounges, FastTrack, etc.) Good rate of earning miles and good opportunities to use them (especially for companion tickets).
​​​​​​​
In case you go with AFKL Flying blue , beware they have revenue-based earnings when flying with AF or KL , while flights with other airlines or partners are still distance based

Awards rates are now dynamic, and rates increased significantly during last year and a half , but you can still find many sweet spots

>>> Reply: Typically 2 long (transatlantic or Asia) trips plus 4-6 short (Europe) trips per year. Anything longer than 4 hours is usually in business.

>>> Reply: Business except the shortest routes. Not necessarily refundable.
​​​​​​​
With such pattern , you will quickly reach silver , for gold i think it might be enough also

>>> Reply: TLV to Europe

>>> Reply: TLV
​​​​​​​
You are lucky as TLV is slightly over 2000 miles away from CDG , so your CDG-TLV will be under long 1 section of the XP charts, but in the meantime TLV is also considered as europe for awards redemption (if i am correct)

I plan to try to status match, I believe I can get Delta Platinum, don't know about Flying Blue.​​​​​​​
i dont think FB does status match at the moment
Old Aug 20, 2023, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Hi
I am a Flying Blue Platinum member (AF/KLM) with enough XP to become a lifetime member.
Are there other Sky Team airlines with which I could become a frequent flyer to get a better yield(including any perks that I do not currently have ) for my airmiles
I normally travel Business class with Aeromexico /AF and KLM.
Any advice you can give would be welcome.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Diamond, Mucci des repas d'enfant
Having attempted my own research and thoroughly confused myself, thought I’d reach out to the experts. Currently BAEC gold, already have flights booked to secure BA GGL next year, spreading my wings, so to speak.

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> priority services, lounge access, seat selection etc.. journey enhancing aspects

less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply: 50+ flights, predominantly intra-europe. Flown 24 segments since march, have 40 segments booked through to next march.

first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply: Business

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Yes, leisure only.

>>> Reply: Intra-europe

>>> Reply: Newcastle NCL

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: BA, many many avios. No others.

>>> Reply: None
Old Sep 14, 2023, 2:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / A3 Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold / TP Silver
Originally Posted by john1987
Hi
I am a Flying Blue Platinum member (AF/KLM) with enough XP to become a lifetime member.
Are there other Sky Team airlines with which I could become a frequent flyer to get a better yield(including any perks that I do not currently have ) for my airmiles
Not really , you would be better looking for a FFP in star alliance as an alternative in case skyteam doesnt not match your criterias

Originally Posted by JapesUK

>>> Reply: Intra-europe

>>> Reply: Newcastle NCL
Your best shot would be flying blue due to your location ; as KL and maybe AF fly there

based on your plans you might be able to reach gold until you need to requalify for BA FFP
Old Sep 21, 2023, 7:43 am

Hello all,

- Will Fly 4 or 5 short segments in a year (mostly 1 hour to 3 hours duration segments in Central America or Asia) on Sky Team (either AM or VN).
(Will be using Skyteam in these cases only due to schedule / convenience).

- Segments will be in business
- SkyTeam flights will not be from home in Texas.

NO skyteam status whatsoever. However, do have status in Star A and OneWorld.

Goal is to not waste the mileage earned. ANd use the miles somehow in the next couple of years for a short hop somewhere.

In this case - Does it make sense to credit all these segments to AM?? (I think they are also a "dollar-spend" based program)

I know DL set their program on fire recently

Do not know anything about VN's program.

ANy suggestions welcome.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 12:24 pm

Advice between KLM flying blue and Virgin

Airmiles redemption and upgrades
>>> Reply:

18 European return flights (typically two legs per flight) 6 long haul return across most continents
>>> Reply:

Europe in economy, rest of world (long haul) business class

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure? Yes. Theses will be work. I will then look to use airmiles etc for flights or to book holidays with the family.

Europe and US long haul

Norwich (15 mins from house) May occasionally use London airports (2 to 4 hours in car)

Utilise virgin credit card and get circa 30000 points an annum which can unlock flight benefits and virgin holidays.

KLM as four flights a day to AMS from NWI to then connect. Also enjoy Virgin. I do have BA bronze status but no options from Norwich.

Given nearly all my flights will be with KLM, but I may use Virgin more for holidays and I have their credit card, am I best to use? Or are the surcharges too high? Also which flights will generate the most miles/tiers. I believe Virgin class each leg as tier points but KLM don’t? But KLM seem to have alot cheaper taxes for airmiles….so I’ve no clue what’s best given all my flights will be with KLM? But virgin seem to have better rewards.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 2:23 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Dentos
For me, the days of trying to find sweet spots in frequent flyer programs is over. I think its best to choose the program on the airline you will fly most, so that the benefits of points and status can most directly be used (and as the programs are devalued / enhanced, the airline you fly on the most still will deem you valuable).

In my case, I've read Flying Blue is the best program in Skyteam for redemptions but because my Skyteam travel is mainly in the US, I use Delta Skymiles for the direct benefits (free checked bag, early boarding, miles for upgrades).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.