Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Global Airline Alliances

SkyTeam

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 6, 16, 4:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 26, 22, 5:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor Platinum / Hilton Diamond / TAP Miles&Go Gold / IHG One Platinum
Originally Posted by KFF View Post
I may not have this job in two years time so if I can get more out of it I will.
Even if you get the most out of an FFP it wont last more than a year or two after you stop flying

Asiana gives me the ability to get lifetime gold membership
Based on what you said , i can tell you are very very far away from lifetime membership with OZ , so hold on a minute and check the requirements , do the math and come back to us if any questions

Buy better things
if you mean use your miles to buy items from the airline shop , this is the worst way to redeem them

so free food and drinks
Now all airlines are switching to buy on board on short/middle haul flights

If lounge/food is a main concern , then buy yearly membership with priority pass and/or dragonpass (its nice to have both , 1 with full and 1 with pay per entry in case the other is not working in the lounge)

Prioritypass = europe / north america
Dragonpass = middle east / europe / asia

For the rest of the world , its 50/50

Sometimes 3 times a day. This will include short and long-haul flights in Asia, Americas, Europe and the Middle east, rare visits to Africa
i would suggest to focus on your patterns and plans , then see which airlines you can fly and then come back

As you said you cant really select airline when you fly for work then you are essentially tied to whatever the cheapest , if you are allowed to book it by yourself

In case you will fly mostly with low-costs like ryanair or wizzair you can forget about FFP and forget about this job or your health .

For the record even flight crew has limits on how many flights they can take per period due to health hazards

Also as a beginner , i would recommend to select 1 FFP and stay with it

e.g. extra legroom, upgrades, lounge access, priority bag collection and security
Besides upgrades , the rest is pretty standard everywhere . Extra legroom is a benefit you will get mostly on the planes of your airline's FFP , otherwise for exit row you pay for it extra

5. Europe 50% of the time rest of the world the rest.
beware that some alliances and/or airlines are completely absent from some parts of the world , therefore this is why i recommend to know your routes pattern upfront (if possible) to better assess the situation and make an early quick wise choice

11. No matter the program I will end up at the highest tier so difficulty to reach the highest tier isn't a concern. It'd be fair to just compare highest reward tiers.
No , based on what you said later (200 economy flights) you wont even reach next tier with some FFPs , long gone is the time when flying Y (eco) a lot was enough to get status

12. Reply:~200 flights yearly
Yes but what type of flights ? if its 200 domestic flights then it wont help much

4. No choice, ability to upgrade on own dime. Travel is for work.
So what is this airline ? then maybe you should go with their FFP

If work force you to fly on cheapest eco fares , you wont go anywhere even if you fly 300 times per year with some airlines

6. Based in Europe, Not a specific country
Unless if you are flying all the time and living a nomad lifestyle when you stay in one city less than a week , you will have at least 2 cities where you spend most of the time therefore it gives you 2 or 3 airports that you can list as your bases

Last edited by fifty_two; Sep 26, 22 at 11:35 am
Old Oct 5, 22, 9:12 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, DL Platinum, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I'm interested in setting up a ST program for my child (and any future children). I currently have a Delta account (status not expected in the future) and Chase, Amex, and Citi cards for transferring points:

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Flight & upgrade redemption rates for this account, and ability to "top it off" from CC points if needed. (So pooling with me ala FB or directly - now or in 13 years - by adding child(ren) as additional users)

>>> Reply: I would guess ~15-20k annually as a family. Maybe 5 r/t flights max, and at least 1 on DL.

>>> Reply: Economy. I can't see paying for a business ticket for a child...

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Yes - this is all pleasure. However, I would guess Delta/ST might be at most half those miles.

>>> Reply: Domestic USA / North America. Anticipate one trans-pacific or transatlantic each year, but DL/ST isn't great for the former from NYC.

>>> Reply: NYC (EWR, JFK, LGA)

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: Not for long.

>>> Reply: United, Delta. (Anything but AA...)

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 13, 22, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA - CK/Airpass

IRROPs support and a large and quality lounge network.

I will fly at least two flights a week from Moldova to Romania in business class on TAROM. Outside this I usually book 250k or more BIS miles a year.

Business.

I travel for work. I have wide latitude in what I buy.

I fly regularly in long haul on both TATL and TPAC routes - at least 20 such flights a year.

I will be flying out of Moldova weekly on TAROM from this year forward.

KIV.

I am CK and have Airpass on AA, which I will maintain.

I prefer to fly OneWorld airlines when possible; out of these, JAL, Cathay and Fiji are my favourite.

I want to find the best status match for my needs and will happily fly a few additional ST routes each year; likely on flights where a OneWorld offering would be less direct or on a notably inferior product.
Old Nov 16, 22, 12:32 am

Newbie choosing between Delta SM vs KLM FB

I am looking to subscribe myself and family to either Delta or KLM FFP and to save the trouble of signing everyone on both, want some advice to pick and stick to one. I am looking to do this before my long trip with 25k miles (from Canada) - I read through previous comparison posts and couldn't pick between the two (some said FB is garbage but some other say the opposite). I see myself flying more within North america, wasn't sure if that point alone is enough to pick SM? Thanks

>>> Reply: Lounge access, upgrades, baggage allowance.

>>> Reply: 25000 on a single annual trip. Hope to fly another few domestic flights (<5)

>>> Reply: Economy

>>> Reply: Pleasure

>>> Reply: North America to Asia and domestic within NA

>>> Reply: YVR

>>> Reply: No, only miles in Air Canada Aeroplan and TD aeroplan credit card.

>>> Reply: No preference.
Old Nov 16, 22, 8:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by william_backdale View Post
I am looking to subscribe myself and family to either Delta or KLM FFP and to save the trouble of signing everyone on both, want some advice to pick and stick to one. I am looking to do this before my long trip with 25k miles (from Canada) - I read through previous comparison posts and couldn't pick between the two (some said FB is garbage but some other say the opposite). I see myself flying more within North america, wasn't sure if that point alone is enough to pick SM? Thanks

>>> Reply: Lounge access, upgrades, baggage allowance.

>>> Reply: 25000 on a single annual trip. Hope to fly another few domestic flights (<5)
While both programs are revenue-based, Flying Blue really sets up to reward either premium cabin flyers or folks who buy more expensive main cabin tickets. Their elite-qualifying points for economy domestic travel are also pretty much rubbish.

25K elite-qualifying miles a year gets you Silver Medallion on Delta. Youre exempt from the Medallion-Qualifying Dollars rule with a non-USA address in your profile. This maps to Sky Team Elite Status, which has a few minor useful things about it.

You dont quite fly enough for free lounge access in most cases, though if you can get to 50K Medallion-Qualifying Miles in a year with Delta, that maps to Sky Team Elite+ status and at least gets you lounge for economy long haul tickets.

So since youre a Canada-based value/economy flyer Id probably go the Delta route since that one big trip will get you Silver Medallion and a couple significant North American tickets can get you the useful Gold Medallion/Sky Team Elite+ benefits.

Also note that on Delta-operated flights, their own medallions are higher on the complimentary upgrade lists than Sky Team partner elites are.
Old Nov 16, 22, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
While both programs are revenue-based, Flying Blue really sets up to reward either premium cabin flyers or folks who buy more expensive main cabin tickets. Their elite-qualifying points for economy domestic travel are also pretty much rubbish.

25K elite-qualifying miles a year gets you Silver Medallion on Delta. Youre exempt from the Medallion-Qualifying Dollars rule with a non-USA address in your profile. This maps to Sky Team Elite Status, which has a few minor useful things about it.

You dont quite fly enough for free lounge access in most cases, though if you can get to 50K Medallion-Qualifying Miles in a year with Delta, that maps to Sky Team Elite+ status and at least gets you lounge for economy long haul tickets.

So since youre a Canada-based value/economy flyer Id probably go the Delta route since that one big trip will get you Silver Medallion and a couple significant North American tickets can get you the useful Gold Medallion/Sky Team Elite+ benefits.

Also note that on Delta-operated flights, their own medallions are higher on the complimentary upgrade lists than Sky Team partner elites are.
Thank you!
Old Nov 17, 22, 5:23 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles (silver), Lounge Key
Hello... I wish you luck in making the right decision and offer my view.
A few years ago, I was solving the same question - and I chose Delta.
It was a bit too difficult to figure out how the Flying Blue program works, which booking classes earn what etc., and Delta was straightforward and clear from the beginning.

I have an EU address. I usually fly AF or KLM between Europe and USA two or three times a year and book the flight on AF or KLM web site even though it is in DL metal. That way I earn 100 % MQMs even for the cheapest tickets toward DL status (as opposed to booking with Delta and earn nothing for E class).

Despite flying mostly on cheap economy tickets to earn the status (= free bag + seat selection), the most important thing that made my decision for Dela was that Delta miles do not expire. Not that it is worth stacking them up, but...
In addition, I also earn miles towards Delta Airlines MIllion Milers, which earns a permanent Sky Team status one day.

Silver status is enough for me: with it, I can use the short Business Class check-in line, which saved me time at the airport several times when the lines were long.
And I use credit card with Lounge Key in order to get to the lounges.

Today, I see that Flying Blue does clearly say which booking class earns what:
https://www.flyingblue.com/en/earn-s...elta-air-lines

And also I can see that even Delta Basic Economy (E) class earns 20 %.
BUT it still is not at all clear to me how many XPs I would earn for flights with partners in order to reach FB status.
So, simly put, I just do not choose Flying Blue for my lack of understanding it.

PS: A nice new update with Delta is that I can earn miles even for flying on award ticket. I am not sure if this is also true with FB.
Old Nov 24, 22, 3:34 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Accor Platinum / Hilton Diamond / TAP Miles&Go Gold / IHG One Platinum
Exclamation

Originally Posted by prgboy View Post
Today, I see that Flying Blue does clearly say which booking class earns what:
https://www.flyingblue.com/en/earn-s...elta-air-lines
Unless you are talking about the old days (i mean anything older than 8 years) , then i assume you might be right cause i wasnt there

If not then the main problem , as far as i remember , was to find which class you will have by booking a flight with a skyteam airline before purchase . Some made it easy , while others never provided such information before payment and we had to use a magic 8 ball to guess

Originally Posted by prgboy View Post
BUT it still is not at all clear to me how many XPs I would earn for flights with partners in order to reach FB status.
So, simly put, I just do not choose Flying Blue for my lack of understanding it.
I can explain, long story short , as long as you book a qualifying flight (means you fly on a revenue ticket and its a skyteam flight operated by skyteam airline) then you earn XP

For miles , they switched to revenue mode (more you spend more you get) , same as delta . However , its still the old method only if you fly with skyteam airlines and flying blue partners

Once you know its a qualifying flight , you just need 3 things to know how much XP you will receive =
  1. is it a domestic or international flight ??
  2. Is it economy , premium , business or first ??
  3. what is the distance of the flight (if not domestic) to use the XP chart ?
There are small exceptions of course but i wont go over all the details cause it will be too long , but no real booby traps like those you can see with other star alliance competitors

The main idea was to make status a bit harder to get for those flying only cheap short european international flights in economy , while on the other hand rewarding customers flying premium/business and/or long haul flights (where the real money is made by airlines)

So it was made to simplify the process for customers , and It removed the burden of "what will be the booking class of my flight" and avoid troubles created by other skyteam airlines changing their charts base on their moods without prior notice

Hope its clear , if you have more question i can explain

Last edited by fifty_two; Nov 24, 22 at 3:44 am

Search this Thread