FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which ST program should I sign up for?
View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:27 am
beachmouse

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by william_backdale
I am looking to subscribe myself and family to either Delta or KLM FFP and to save the trouble of signing everyone on both, want some advice to pick and stick to one. I am looking to do this before my long trip with 25k miles (from Canada) - I read through previous comparison posts and couldn't pick between the two (some said FB is garbage but some other say the opposite). I see myself flying more within North america, wasn't sure if that point alone is enough to pick SM? Thanks

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.

>>> Reply: Lounge access, upgrades, baggage allowance.

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply: 25000 on a single annual trip. Hope to fly another few domestic flights (<5)
While both programs are revenue-based, Flying Blue really sets up to reward either premium cabin flyers or folks who buy more expensive main cabin tickets. Their elite-qualifying points for economy domestic travel are also pretty much rubbish.

25K elite-qualifying miles a year gets you Silver Medallion on Delta. You’re exempt from the Medallion-Qualifying Dollars rule with a non-USA address in your profile. This maps to Sky Team Elite Status, which has a few minor useful things about it.

You don’t quite fly enough for free lounge access in most cases, though if you can get to 50K Medallion-Qualifying Miles in a year with Delta, that maps to Sky Team Elite+ status and at least gets you lounge for economy long haul tickets.

So since you’re a Canada-based value/economy flyer I’d probably go the Delta route since that one big trip will get you Silver Medallion and a couple significant North American tickets can get you the useful Gold Medallion/Sky Team Elite+ benefits.

Also note that on Delta-operated flights, their own medallions are higher on the complimentary upgrade lists than Sky Team partner elites are.