Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 6, 16, 4:28 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 25, 19, 10:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by yulflier View Post
I'm a Star Alliance FF but I have to travel from YUL to BKO and the price for Premium Economy with AF vs Standard Economy with TK is the same. Not to mention the significantly longer travel time with TK. So I'll have to break my allegiance.

Nonetheless, I have a 10,000 Skypoints balance from my previous escapades with Delta, but I was wondering if I'd be better off signing up for Flying Blue. I don't anticipate flying with ST anytime soon.
If you don't know if/when you'll fly with SkyTeam again, Delta miles don't have a hard or soft expiration date while FB does (and the current rules are set up to require flights to push out the expiration date for miles earned from flights). So I'd just park the miles with Delta and let them set. Despite the SkyPeso reuptation, they can be useful for economy redemptions in North America.
yulflier likes this.
Old Nov 7, 19, 4:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond, Delta Platinum
1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Lounge access, priority services

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply: Premium Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Yes, work.

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply: USA and USA-Asia

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply: LAX

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: Executive Platinum in AA, and *G in Asiana

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply: Delta, China Airlines in Skyteam

Basically, looking for a good program to hopefully easily get Elite Plus status with a handful of longhaul international PE flights.

I'm on Air Europa now, which is easy to get to Elite Plus, but they are planning on leaving if the deal goes through. Plus they are extremely slow with adding/changing fare class adjustments in flights (like China Airlines added A class for Standard PE flights. Seems every other airline on SkyTeam has it on their charts while Air Europa doesn't). I don't want to hit Elite Plus and then find out I have to switch programs anyway.

Looked at Vietnam Airlines and while easy to get to Elite, it still takes the same amount of work to Elite Plus for other airlines. Plus it has horrible earning rates with Delta.

Looked at FlyingBlue and the XP system isn't that great, I would need more flights to get the same status elsewhere since I don't fly business or first.

My current idea is to status match my AA with Delta to get Platinum, and enjoy that for a bit. I wouldn't get lounge access domestically on Delta, unfortunately, but since I rarely do fly Delta domestic it won't be an issue. Plus with the two longhaul trips i'm going on Nov/Dec I can easily hit the status challenge mark with around 36,000 MQM. Having Silver at only 25,000 means I can technically make it especially with the MQM rollovers (and of course high MQD with international PE).

Search this Thread