Reload this Page >

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by wahs
If objective is to earn Elite+ quickly, can one fly Garuda (homebase airline but requires 60K miles) and deposit the miles to FB (40K miles required), for instance?
In theory, yes. BUT note:
- You will only earn miles on FB for Garuda marketed-flights if the flight is operated by a SkyTeam airline*. (I understand that GA are dropping JKT-AUH themselves, and relying solely on a codeshare operated by Etihad. And as EY are not in SkyTeam, this will not earn you any FB miles. If you can get a fare for a routing JKT-JED on GA (or SV), and then JED to DXB or AUH on SV, then that would be a different matter.)
- Only the highest (most expensive) booking classes on GA (ie: Y, B) will earn you 100% miles on FB, and the cheapest booking classes (eg: V, S, etc) won't earn any miles at all - and hence won't count as level flights, either. See the FB earning chart for Garuda.

So, if you're planning to fly on full-fare tickets on Garuda-operated flights, then this approach could work (as long as you'll hit 40k miles in a calendar year). If not, you'll need to think of something else... (I would also say it is generally best, all else being equal, to be in the FFP of the airline you actually use most frequently, as it seems airlines will often treat their own elites slightly better than elites from elsewhere in the alliance).

* The only exception to the general 'must be operated by a SkyTeam airline' rule is flights which are coded AF or KL. Nearly all AF/KL coded flights can earn miles, even if they are operated by non-SkyTeam airlines (such as EY).
Old May 20, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, *A
Thx, KQ321!
I am not aware of Etihad operating that JKT-AUH route. Now I should look for alternative.

Originally Posted by KQ321
In theory, yes. BUT note:
- You will only earn miles on FB for Garuda marketed-flights if the flight is operated by a SkyTeam airline*. (I understand that GA are dropping JKT-AUH themselves, and relying solely on a codeshare operated by Etihad. And as EY are not in SkyTeam, this will not earn you any FB miles. If you can get a fare for a routing JKT-JED on GA (or SV), and then JED to DXB or AUH on SV, then that would be a different matter.)
- Only the highest (most expensive) booking classes on GA (ie: Y, B) will earn you 100% miles on FB, and the cheapest booking classes (eg: V, S, etc) won't earn any miles at all - and hence won't count as level flights, either. See the FB earning chart for Garuda.

So, if you're planning to fly on full-fare tickets on Garuda-operated flights, then this approach could work (as long as you'll hit 40k miles in a calendar year). If not, you'll need to think of something else... (I would also say it is generally best, all else being equal, to be in the FFP of the airline you actually use most frequently, as it seems airlines will often treat their own elites slightly better than elites from elsewhere in the alliance).

* The only exception to the general 'must be operated by a SkyTeam airline' rule is flights which are coded AF or KL. Nearly all AF/KL coded flights can earn miles, even if they are operated by non-SkyTeam airlines (such as EY).
Old May 20, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by wahs
I am not aware of Etihad operating that JKT-AUH route.
It seems GA is dropping JKT-AUH on its own metal from end of May, as the current JKT-AUH-AMS service is upgraded to JKT-AMS nonstop. Mentioned in this article: Garuda adjusts 777-300ER route plans to focus on Japan while dropping Australia-London one-stops
Old May 20, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, *A
Thanks again, KQ321.

Originally Posted by KQ321
It seems GA is dropping JKT-AUH on its own metal from end of May, as the current JKT-AUH-AMS service is upgraded to JKT-AMS nonstop. Mentioned in this article: Garuda adjusts 777-300ER route plans to focus on Japan while dropping Australia-London one-stops
Old May 23, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are several "Which FFP's should I join" threads. Starting questions are:--

Best Frequent Flyer Program for you?
The answer to this question depends very much on your personal travel profile and objectives.
- what is your definition of best?
- do you value miles/points (or equivalent) for redemption over gaining status?
- do you fly enough to gain any meaningful status?
- what do you want to use the miles/points for (award, upgrade, hotels, what ever)?
- what sort of flight award is of interest (destination, class of travel)?
- are you interested in topping up by paying cash for miles?
- which airline and where do you normally fly?
- are you primarily a leisure or business traveller?
- where do you live?
- do you have other ways of earning points in the various programs, e.g. credit cards, shopping, etc,?
- etc, etc, etc
(above copied in part from a post by dunk)

There is a big difference between a frequent flyer and a frequent spender getting freq flyer miles from a credit card. For questions about which is the best credit card to sign up for, to get frequent flyer miles, please do not post here, but refer to other threads on this topic

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply:
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:
(5) Which routes do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply:
(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply:
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:

Similar sticky threads
If you are sure a Star Alliance or OneWorld Alliance or Skyteam airline FFP is for you, please post in those forums, as more Star/OW/Sky experienced people are likely to answer your question.
Star Alliance forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
OneWorld Alliance forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Skyteam Alliance forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/skyte...i-sign-up.html
Information Desk forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

Major airline alliances are
www.staralliance.com web site and the Flyertalk forum Star Alliance
www.oneworld.com web site and the Flyertalk forum OneWorld Alliance
www.skyteam.com web site and the Flyertalk forum Skyteam

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 24, 2014 at 6:15 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: AC APE, AA
I am based in eastern Canada-YHZ. I usually fly twice a year YHZ-BKK and once a year to Europe. I normally book discounted Business or Premium Economy fares. I have little or no domestic or trans border (USA) flying. YHZ is served by DL. AF/KL serve YUL and YYZ so to fly them requires a connection on a non ST carrier.
Because the Cdn market is dominated by *A, most of my flying is with AC or partners. Recently, through Expedia, AF/KL in combination with CI have been offering very good prices on business class from YHZ to BKK. DL is also an option to Asia via the Pacific. AF is often less than AC for Premium Economy to Europe, The question is of course which ST plan would be best for my travel pattern.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: A3, Garuda, BA
I just relocated to London and will be flying regularly back to good old Amsterdam. The most convenient airport for me to start my travels is LGW.

After searching for tickets I found that Garuda had deeply discounted tickets available and I decided to give them a chance. My first flight with them will be soon and if Garuda is okay I will keep flying with them between LGW and AMS. It would be great if there is a frequent flyer program which allows me to earn miles on deeply discounted economy tickets (S). I have tried to find something but have not been very successful so far, it seems like none of the ST members offer a program that would work for me. I am mostly interested in priority services. I expect to do 10 return flights between LGW and AMS a year, all as cheap as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
I have a short intra-europe roundtrip tomorrow on KLM (though it is ticketed on Delta stock). I have an old Delta account with nothing left in it. Note that I'm SPG Platinum (w.r.t. crossover rewards).

I expect to continue flying US (now American) as my primary carrier, but every so often will end up on a Skyteam carrier (likely most often for flights outside of the US). Looking to pick one to earn miles in, knowing I will likely not achieve any status tiers - probably 10K or fewer miles on skyteam per annum.

Any reason to pick one carrier over another?

The Q&A:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: priority services when flying the airline, lounge access, upgrades
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
Reply: 50+ flights, around 100K year, mostly economy, a few business. Note: these will mostly stay on OneWorld
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Reply: Premium Economy or Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes (sometimes) and Both
(5) Which routes do you fly most often
Reply: Mostly intra-US, once or twice a year to Europe or Asia
(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: NYC area or BDL
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: US Chairmans
(8) Preferred Airlines
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sam I Am
I have a short intra-europe roundtrip tomorrow on KLM (though it is ticketed on Delta stock). I have an old Delta account with nothing left in it. Note that I'm SPG Platinum (w.r.t. crossover rewards).
Is your flight a KLM flight number on a KLM aircraft? Booking class ? (not the cabin)
Another option is Alaska. KLM & DL are partners
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by Melka
I just relocated to London and will be flying regularly back to good old Amsterdam. The most convenient airport for me to start my travels is LGW.

After searching for tickets I found that Garuda had deeply discounted tickets available and I decided to give them a chance. My first flight with them will be soon and if Garuda is okay I will keep flying with them between LGW and AMS. It would be great if there is a frequent flyer program which allows me to earn miles on deeply discounted economy tickets (S). I have tried to find something but have not been very successful so far, it seems like none of the ST members offer a program that would work for me. I am mostly interested in priority services. I expect to do 10 return flights between LGW and AMS a year, all as cheap as possible.

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately if the GA fare class is so deeply discounted that GA won't even credit it to its own FFP, I doubt they'd be prepared to pay a partner airline to have them credited to the partner FFP.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Melka
10 returns a year is 20 segments, which would earn you Silver (SkyTeam Elite) status on Flying Blue, which gets you an additional baggage allowance and some priority services (although not lounge access). However, these segments have to be in a fare-class which earns miles on FB - and it seems S (and V) do not. If you're willing to pay for T (or above) then you would earn miles, and hence segments, on FB.

It seems Garuda Miles also only gives miles for T-class or above. With Garuda Miles, you can earn Silver status with only ten segments, but to obtain SkyTeam Elite status, you have to reach Gold (30 segments).

As Supersonic Swinger has said, if Garuda are unwilling to offer miles for S (or V) class fares, it seems unlikely any other FFP will either. (But, you would have to look through the earnings charts for all SkyTeam FFPs to check this...)

Also, see this thread for my review of the inaugural AMS-LGW flight this week (in J), as well as a discussion of how long the AMS-LGW-AMS route is likely to continue (as Garuda want to replace it with a direct LGW-JKT service at some point, if there is sufficient demand to warrant it.)
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I'm a dedicated AA/OneWorld guy; but I'm writing here for a friend. Which program will be best for her, considering earn/burn ratios?

Her flying is nearly all SEAsia to Europe on KL. For example, next week she flies BKK-AMS-BGO roundtrip. She buys the cheapest tickets she can find.

I know nothing about ST programs, -- thank you in advance for your advice.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Dear all,

I will be travelling to vietnam soon with Emirates from Brussels. I have chosen Alaska air FFP to put my Emirates miles on. However, I will need about two domestic flights in Vietnam with Vietnam Airlines. In which program would I best deposit those miles?

Knowing that:
Home base: BRU
Travel frequency: low and lower price economy, mostly intra-europe
Target: save miles to use for upgrade or free flight... longest time till expire counts
No preferred airline.

Programs in use:
Miles and more (with BruAir AMEX card)
Soon: Alaska Air
Dormant and empty: Iberia & Flying Blue

Hotel programs in use:
Accor & IHG
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Koja78
However, I will need about two domestic flights in Vietnam with Vietnam Airlines. In which program would I best deposit those miles?
Vietnam Airlines ffp is partners with these http://www.vietnamairlines.com/en/fr...-with-airlines
Presumably those airline ffp have reciprocal earning on VN flights
Delta miles have no expiry, but its not the best ffp. (sky pesos)

Or just forget about earning miles for those short flights

AS is a good ffp, due to the many partners
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Vietnam Airlines ffp is partners with these http://www.vietnamairlines.com/en/fr...-with-airlines
Presumably those airline ffp have reciprocal earning on VN flights
Delta miles have no expiry, but its not the best ffp. (sky pesos)

Or just forget about earning miles for those short flights

AS is a good ffp, due to the many partners
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
I will just use my dormant flying blue then... if there is no exceptional skyteam FFP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.