Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

minimum connecting time at Changi Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

minimum connecting time at Changi Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
Any thoughts on a 75 minute connection between T4 to T2, and the other way round? These would be two different PNRs so chance of not having a printed BP, hand luggage only.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by bowzer91
Any thoughts on a 75 minute connection between T4 to T2, and the other way round? These would be two different PNRs so chance of not having a printed BP, hand luggage only.
If everything works as it should (i.e. you land on time), BP is already in hand then 75 minutes should be sufficient.

The transfer between T4 and T2 is via a bus so it's not very frequent and also not super fast so bear that in mind.

Take a look at the timeliness of your arrival flight. If it regularly delayed by more than 20mins then you might struggle, especially if you need to pick up a new BP.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Risky. Without a boarding pass you will be relying on making it to the relevant transfer desk in T2 before check-in closes. Doesn't provide much buffer for flight (if running late) and transfer bus.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Quite risky. If your flight lands even 15 mins late... you're probably going to miss your flight out of T4.

Not to mention factoring it the time it will take for your flight to arrive at the gate, deplane etc. etc.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, Vistara Platinum
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
If everything works as it should (i.e. you land on time), BP is already in hand then 75 minutes should be sufficient.

The transfer between T4 and T2 is via a bus so it's not very frequent and also not super fast so bear that in mind.

Take a look at the timeliness of your arrival flight. If it regularly delayed by more than 20mins then you might struggle, especially if you need to pick up a new BP.
Thank you everyone! T4 really defeats the usual connecting model at SIN. I will work towards a T3-T2 on SQ instead
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:09 am

Thank you everyone! T4 really defeats the usual connecting model at SIN. I will work towards a T3-T2 on SQ instead
It is a bizarre set up for an airport that prides itself on efficiency. The argument probably was that the carriers to moved to T4 don't have many connections so it's ok to shove them over there. However, this logic breaksdown for those people who have flown the legacy carriers for the haul leg (to get a bit of extra comfort/food/luggage) and then switch to the super cheap flights (Air Asia) or vice versa. Though it would strike me as odd that Changi nor the government planners hadn't thought it was weird.

My suspicion is that they needed the immediate extra capacity so just built T4 to get that capacity, and to use it as a test bed for the technologies expected at the new super terminal T5 (already announced). At the same time, I'm (purely) guessing, that once T5 is built they will look at the configuration of T1-T4 and do some kind of rebuild between 2030 onwards.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Diamond Seats
With the fact that now SQ uses T2 and T3, 40 minutes connecting time might not be possible, even in the premium cabin. It would be unfortunate if you arrive at the farthest gate of T3 and have to depart from the farthest gate at T2.
Changi is not a bad place to wait for a flight. Thus, a longer connection time would be better.
I have done a T3 to T2 connection (both SQ) in roughly 40 minutes (slightly late arrival of inbound aircraft) but I certainly had to walk very quickly as the gates were almost the furthest apart. The SQ gate staff at arrival said "no problem". I was an Economy passenger
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Though it would strike me as odd that Changi nor the government planners hadn't thought it was weird.
I think this was quite deliberate. Why though I don’t understand. Maybe SQ wanted to dissuade people from using LCCs or something. Or maybe they didn’t see value in building another track landside connecting T1-3 with T4. Didn’t make any sense to build something of that scale out just for a handful of passengers. I dunno.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
I have done a T3 to T2 connection (both SQ) in roughly 40 minutes (slightly late arrival of inbound aircraft) but I certainly had to walk very quickly as the gates were almost the furthest apart. The SQ gate staff at arrival said "no problem". I was an Economy passenger
They will usually inform the departing flight to wait (esp when the luggage are also moving to the connecting flight.). depending on the number of connecting pax, they might retime the departure flight esp those midnight flight.
In early Jan, SQ266 was delay 2 1/2 hrs n 6 departing flights (mostly to Europe) were retimed to wait for the connecting paxes
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn

I think this was quite deliberate. Why though I don’t understand. Maybe SQ wanted to dissuade people from using LCCs or something. Or maybe they didn’t see value in building another track landside connecting T1-3 with T4. Didn’t make any sense to build something of that scale out just for a handful of passengers. I dunno.
they have 2-3 years to built T4. Thus no underground link to T2. Most likely there is some structure being built already so that they can build the connection to T5/T2 in the future.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g

they have 2-3 years to built T4. Thus no underground link to T2. Most likely there is some structure being built already so that they can build the connection to T5/T2 in the future.
Sure quite possible. My limited point was that this wasn't an oversight by the planners.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
Sure quite possible. My limited point was that this wasn't an oversight by the planners.
Yeah. I was just saying it seems bizarre. But I am pretty sure they have some scheme in their minds .. maybe they never intended T4 to last long and one T5 is built, they just amalgamate T1-T4. There is a VIP terminal in between the T1-3 and T4 so maybe they will relocate it.

In any case, the connection time is still reasonable, just slow for Changi
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:42 am

Can anyone tell me at which terminal do SQ317 and 319 usually arrive at SIN? Trying to decide which combination of flights to pick to SYD, and leaning towards one of these two. We’d like to have a bit of time to look around at Changi and stretch our legs before the next 8 hours!

Also is the 777 to SYD one of the decent ones? Travelling J.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HiltonH
Does anyone know if the SQ flights to/from Europe and Australia both arrive and depart at Terminal 3?
I read a review a while ago advising that this was so but it was several years old so not sure if this is still the case?
Many thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Wifie
Does anyone know if the SQ flights to/from Europe and Australia both arrive and depart at Terminal 3?
I read a review a while ago advising that this was so but it was several years old so not sure if this is still the case?
Many thanks.
Check in for all flights to/from Australia and Europe is in Terminal 3. Departure will generally be from Terminal 3 - but at peak times a small number of flights could depart from one of the adjacent gates in Terminal 1 (such as C1 and C20), but as Terminal 3 and Terminal 1 are connected in a continuous manner, its not a big deal. As for arrivals, most such flights arrive in T3, but some do arrive in T2 depending on time and day (and very rarely in T1 but staff will be there to direct people to the correct terminal where baggage can be collected if this happens).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.