Wiki Posts
Search

PPS run - does such a thing exist?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:26 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Great work ^

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
There are some interesting things to see, especially around the PPS sector thresholds. SIN-BOM gets you only 1.25 sectors in C, whereas SIN-DEL earns 2.5.
Yep, there are some funny ones. SIN-CGK just over an hour gets the same sectors in Raffles (1.25) as SIN-PER which is over 4 hours. I would be very interested to find out how they decided on the PPS sectors earned on the each mileage segment.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Apart from AKL-SYD and AKL-SIN ret the NZ codeshares are economy only (and those two only have business no first).

Perhaps that could be an enhancement to the SQ codeshare thread to indicate PPS earning classes available?
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:38 pm
OGY

Programs: SQ (TPP8)
Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
There are some interesting things to see, especially around the PPS sector thresholds. SIN-BOM gets you only 1.25 sectors in C, whereas SIN-DEL earns 2.5.
Yeah... for that reason, I usually enter India through DEL. If time allows, of course. If not, I enter through BOM and come back from DEL. At least not all BOM...

Same as China trip. As much as possible I enter through PEK rather than PVG.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:49 pm

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
I had not realised the difference between BOM and Delhi...I go into BOM several times a year...that will change!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:08 pm
OGY

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
Great work ^

Yep, there are some funny ones. SIN-CGK just over an hour gets the same sectors in Raffles (1.25) as SIN-PER which is over 4 hours. I would be very interested to find out how they decided on the PPS sectors earned on the each mileage segment.
Simply based on the range of actual miles flown.

Code:
                         F      C
6,214 miles & above      6      5 
4,350 - 6,213 miles      4.5    3.75 
2,485 - 4,349 miles      3      2.5 
482 -2,484 miles         1.5    1.25 
481 miles & under        0      0
BOM is 2436miles so it falls into the range of 482-2484miles while DEL is 2580miles... Same thing happens with PEK vs. PVG.

Same reason why SIN-KUL doesn't earn any sector (below 482miles). SIN-CGK (546miles) still earns sector... unless SQ suddenly decide to increase the miles requirement for sector earning...
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:22 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by OGY
... SIN-CGK (546miles) still earns sector... unless SQ suddenly decide to increase the miles requirement for sector earning...
Sshhhhh... don't say it, especially to StarG!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 9:46 pm
OGY

Originally Posted by CGK
Sshhhhh... don't say it, especially to StarG!
Oooops... sorry! Don't know that this is sensitive....
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:12 pm

If only SIN-KUL counted - I'd have made Solitaire years ago...even at 1/4 or 1/2 a sector! THAT would be a nice change to the program!
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a pitty that SIN-KUL isn't awarded any sectors. At least 0.5 - 1 sector should be offered.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by OGY
Simply based on the range of actual miles flown.
I know the qualifying distances for PPS earning, I've just always wondered how they came up with them. Especially when you have the disparity in distance for SIN to both CGK & PER, which earn the same sectos.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
It's a pitty that SIN-KUL isn't awarded any sectors. At least 0.5 - 1 sector should be offered.
Don't start shortfinals off again, he's even prepared to accept 0.25 sectors for SIN-KUL
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I know the qualifying distances for PPS earning, I've just always wondered how they came up with them. Especially when you have the disparity in distance for SIN to both CGK & PER, which earn the same sectos.
There will always have to be a "line in the sand" I guess, but maybe they could base them on flight time, but then it's not "miles" related. Like all systems the trick is to learn how to use it!

Hence how great these forums are!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I dont have too many complaints - AKL-SIN is nicely over the line rather than under.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I dont have too many complaints - AKL-SIN is nicely over the line rather than under.
I would rather the points than beating you in sport all (well...most of) the time...hehe
Old Jul 14, 2005, 3:25 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
It would be fairer if SQ gave 0.001 sector points per mile flown in C and 0.0015 in F.
Then on a 1000 mile flight one would get 1 point in C and 1.5 in F.
On a 3600 mile flight (SIN-SYD or SIN-MEL is roughly that distance, isn't it). 3.6 points for C and 5.4 for F.

Ok, my factors are a little high I see now, so maybe a factor of 0.00075 points per mile flown for C and 0.001 for F is fairer from SQ's point of view.
This proposal will of course never be adopted but, it is fair in my opinion and would give shortfinals 0.36 sector points in C and 0.48 in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.