Wiki Posts
Search

PPS run - does such a thing exist?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2005, 1:44 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
PPS Waitlists

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I find PPS status excellent for freeing up seats/waitlists. I have booked a couple of CRTWSTAR's this year, one at very short notice where I was waitlisted with only C available, sometimes on more than one sector. One call to SQ and the following day they have cleared without fail.

Same with changing flights during the trip, waitlists cleared when only C was available ^ .
I have had excellent experience with PPS clearing my waitlists for full C and F flights even for disccounted C/F tix. Amazing service! That makes it worth keeping the status.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:53 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Another thumbs-up for PPS waitlists!

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer
I find PPS status excellent for freeing up seats/waitlists. I have booked a couple of CRTWSTAR's this year, one at very short notice where I was waitlisted with only C available, sometimes on more than one sector. One call to SQ and the following day they have cleared without fail.

Same with changing flights during the trip, waitlists cleared when only C was available ^ .
Bumping this up, as I found this thread while looking for advice on how to clear waitlists. My next Asia trip has turned into a RTW affair as I have to go NY as well, and a CRWSTAR1 was the cheapest option. Most flights were booked on SQ and initially waitlisted; the intra-Asia flights cleared within a day or so, as did JFK-FRA which was showing lots of zeroes in business (not just D), as well as ICN-SIN coming from just C1 and all zero in other buckets. After a call to SQ yesterday, the rest of my flights cleared today, including LHR-SIN and SIN-EWR (which was also showing D0, but did have C4 J4). ^

It certainly makes retaining PPS status all the more desirable! This alone saved my company about four thousand dollars in airfare by allowing me to do a RTW instead of a normal ticket. And SQ got a nice chunk of revenue in return, as most of the long-haul flights would have gone to BA, QF or NH otherwise.

Now I'm just hoping there won't be too many last-minute changes to my schedule.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
CRWSTAR maximums

I had forgotten about this thread. Now that it's been bumped, I'll comment that the most PPS sectors that can be earned on a CRWSTAR1 is 22.5 with a routing of SIN-KIX-BKK-HKG-SFO-JFK-FRA-SIN-CGK-SIN-SGN-SIN (28872 miles). SIN-CGK-SIN-AKL-SIN-ICN-YVR-SFO-JFK-FRA-SIN is 33148 miles and yields 23.75 sectors, which I believe is the maximum possible for a CRWSTAR2. SIN-PEK-SIN-AKL-SIN-ICN-YVR-SFO-JFK-FRA-SIN is 37617 miles and yields 26.25 sectors, which I believe is the maximum possible for a CRWSTAR3.

Can anyone find CRWSTAR routes yielding more PPS sectors?
Old Jul 9, 2005, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Guess again. 28.75 in C for AKL-SIN-ICN-YVR-JFK-FRA-ZRH-MAN-ZRH-SIN-ICN-SIN-AKL.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:10 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Are there any cheap code-share flights that still earn PPS sectors?
Old Jul 9, 2005, 8:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Generally to get the codeshare must be travelling on SQ connecting longhaul. I could be wrong on this.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:36 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Guess again. 28.75 in C for AKL-SIN-ICN-YVR-JFK-FRA-ZRH-MAN-ZRH-SIN-ICN-SIN-AKL.
I assume substituting SYD for AKL will yield the same result?
Old Jul 10, 2005, 1:26 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by infoworks
I assume substituting SYD for AKL will yield the same result?
Will not be the same. AKL-SIN 5,227 miles gets 3.75 sectors, and SYD-SIN 3,912 miles gets 2.5 sectors. Total sectors for substituting SYD for AKL will be 2.5 sectors less, i.e. 26.25 only.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by CGK
Will not be the same. AKL-SIN 5,227 miles gets 3.75 sectors, and SYD-SIN 3,912 miles gets 2.5 sectors. Total sectors for substituting SYD for AKL will be 2.5 sectors less, i.e. 26.25 only.
Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2005, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Just start/end at AKL and buy a separate cheapy ticket trans-tasman.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 4:06 pm

Just start/end at AKL and buy a separate cheapy ticket trans-tasman.
Thanks again - had thought of that. I was going to AKL regularly, but the work ended. Always glad for a day or two there as I have a lot of friends to catch up with.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
AKL-SIN-ICN-YVR-JFK-FRA-ZRH-MAN-ZRH-MAN-ZRH-SIN-DEL-SIN-AKL is 38,978 miles and yields 31.25 PPS sectors in C class. Can anyone beat that?
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

They all(?) have F so could get 37.5 sectors for FRWSTAR3.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a contest here on who can come up with the longest sectors total combined? Sure seems like it.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 6:52 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Nope. zvezda is looking to maximise PPS earning for a RWSTAR, and we're trying to help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.