Wiki Posts
Search

PPS run - does such a thing exist?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2004, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by miki13331
why would you do a PPS run to obtain middle-level status in a loyalty program?
Well, that was the purpose of the question -- to see how low the cost of a PPS run could go, and to see if at some point it might become justifiable. And a PPS run might be useful if one were to be short of renewal points in a given year, etc etc.

Or, to put it differently, why does anybody do mileage runs when they will ultimately be one of many people in the next higher tier?
Old Sep 23, 2004, 2:11 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I find PPS status excellent for freeing up seats/waitlists. I have booked a couple of CRTWSTAR's this year, one at very short notice where I was waitlisted with only C available, sometimes on more than one sector. One call to SQ and the following day they have cleared without fail.

Same with changing flights during the trip, waitlists cleared when only C was available ^ .
Old Sep 23, 2004, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
PPS status is certainly mid-tier....
I suppose it's a matter of opinion where one draws the line between upper-tier and mid-tier. For SQ, the hierarchy of status is:

Lifetime PPS Solitaire
PPS Solitaire
PPS
KF Gold
*A Gold
KF Silver
*A Silver
KF Member

Within the PPS levels, SQ ranks members by the number of years that status has been held. In other words, QPP4 (fourth year as a PPS member) outranks QPP3 (third year as a PPS member).

I would consider PPS and higher to be upper-tier, KF Gold and *A Gold to be mid-tier, and KF Silver and *A Silver to be lower-tier. Slice and dice as you see fit.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
PPS status is certainly mid-tier, have you seen the number of PPS and solitaire members on SQ flights, especially on regional business routes such as SIN-NRT and SIN-HKG, not to mention SIN-KUL?
That doesnt prove anything. How many UA 1Ks are there on LAX-SFO shuttles? How many NZ Gs or GEs on AKL-WLG route? etc

Every major airline has (or should have) certain routes where nearly all pax have a high level of status. That doesnt mean the status should be considered mid-tier. That is just a reality that many high status members regularly fly with the carrier on the same route. Shouldnt be surprised at that.
Old Sep 23, 2004, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

sorry dupe
Old Sep 23, 2004, 7:46 pm

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
PPS status is certainly mid-tier, have you seen the number of PPS and solitaire members on SQ flights, especially on regional business routes such as SIN-NRT and SIN-HKG, not to mention SIN-KUL?

if you're in C or F, you are treated the same as everyone else, the only benefit i see is silver kris lounge access, UA red carpet club access and waitlist priority. if you need to spend US$1400 for a PPS run, the cost of a red carpet membership is less than that. if you need to do a PPS run, you probably don't fly SQ enough to receive much benefit from silver kris lounge access or waitlist priority.

re: PPS gift - you're spending US$1400 to get US$100 in gift vouchers?
I certainly disagree regarding 'mid-tier'.
I would think that PPS is a top tier, together with Solitaire. You can see it from the way SQ staffs on the ground and in the air treat them.
- Priority waitlist exceed those of KrisFlyer Elite Gold and *G. *G is a top tier in many Star Alliance airlines. How can something higher be called mid-tier?
- You have the option to credit your award miles to another program - a luxury.
- Cabin staff address you by your name even in Y.
- Requalification gifts
- Excess baggage allowance extended to your whole family. Any other 'top tier' programs offer this?
- Silver Kris Lounge access when flying on ANY airlines.

Although I agree that you shouldn't pay USD 1400 for PPS solely to get the gift vouchers. THAT would be stupid.
And yes, if you don't fly SQ enough it may not be worthwhile. It's better to get UA Red Carpet Club. Unless you like flying the 25 sectors on SQ First/Raffles for no specific purpose OR in love with the new PPS card design.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:15 am

A plain PPS, like me, is perhpas mid-tier, just like a plain 1K is mid-tier in the UA scheme of things because it is not top-tier?

But PPS is a very good mid-tier, too.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 2:28 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
PPS MR EX-SIN
I just worked out a creative mileage Run for a friend,it will net him: 25PPS & 50,000 Elite miles. Gold with UA or AC.
S
Thanks for the first run.. beats CRWSTAR1! Flying out of Colombo sounds dodgy tho!
Pray tell what would this creative mileage run be?

PPS ex SIN isn't that fancy anymore. No birthday present. No Magazine Subscription.

Last edited by Alawyer; Sep 24, 2004 at 2:30 am Reason: Editorial
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA

if you're in C or F, you are treated the same as everyone else, the only benefit i see is silver kris lounge access, UA red carpet club access and waitlist priority. if you need to spend US$1400 for a PPS run, the cost of a red carpet membership is less than that. if you need to do a PPS run, you probably don't fly SQ enough to receive much benefit from silver kris lounge access or waitlist priority.

re: PPS gift - you're spending US$1400 to get US$100 in gift vouchers?
Umm... you also get *A Gold status, so no it's not only PPS that you get, you ALSO get *A Gold. I'm sure you could do it cheaper to just get *A Gold, but if you can also be PPS at the same time, it's not so crazy. I don't fly SQ enough right now to justify it, but if you are in Asia a lot (and can afford it), it's probably not a bad idea.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:18 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by yyzprincess
PPS MR EX-SIN

1.Buy a cheap one-way to SIN-CMB
2. CMB-SIN-ICN-YVR-SFO-ICN-SIN-CMN SQ C-Clasds USD.1400.00
= 17.5 SEGs.
HI,
just a question: i don't know any TA in CMB, so my only choice is booking it through internet.
just a question: when i book a ticket with multicity option CMB-YVR YVR-SFO SFO-YVR YVR-CMB, does it work for the pps run? Cause SIN-YVR is 5 sectors (considering the total mileage), but the routing is SIN-ICN-YVR that means 2.5+3.75.. or have i to book every leg (CMB-SIN SIN-ICN ICN-YVR YVR-SFO SFO-YVR YVR-ICN ICN-SIN SIN-CMB)?
In the last case, the fare quoted through SIA website is more expensive.

If someone could suggest me the best way.... thank you in advance.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:06 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Mileage and sector count for PPS are based on each flight segment. Ie if it appears as single line on your ticket for SIN-YVR then you get 5 sectors (according to figures you supplied), but if it appears as two lines, SIN-ICN and ICN-YVR then you get each sector.

Normally ticket would be sold as SIN-YVR but can force separate legs by taking a stopover in ICN, or taking a different flight SIN-ICN. However this may cost you more. Up to you whether any extra cost or time taken is worth it.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 11:17 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Mileage and sector count for PPS are based on each flight segment. Ie if it appears as single line on your ticket for SIN-YVR then you get 5 sectors (according to figures you supplied), but if it appears as two lines, SIN-ICN and ICN-YVR then you get each sector.

Normally ticket would be sold as SIN-YVR but can force separate legs by taking a stopover in ICN, or taking a different flight SIN-ICN. However this may cost you more. Up to you whether any extra cost or time taken is worth it.
thanks kiwy!!!!
you're my number 1 on FT ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:43 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Asa platinum on Continental (their highest level), I got offered a $50 discount on the annual membership fee for the lounge (down from $325). Whoopee.

The SQ lounge access as a PPS is a great thing for me because I usually get stuck in Y.

It's all a matter of perspective.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA: 1ex1K now Prem Plat Life 2MM ; SQ: exPPS
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

As longer as no stopover (>24hrs) no add'l cost when I priced this. I ended up dealing direct with SQ Ticket Office in CMB. Email them your itinerary (routing with flight numbers and dates) and ask them to confirm the pricing...
Be aware that another thread here said SQ were discontinuing YVR-ICN ... BTW, there was also the SQ flight number YVR-SFO (?) as extra sectors...
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by retrav1K
BTW, there was also the SQ flight number YVR-SFO (?) as extra sectors...
Good point - see SQ codeshare thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.