Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ/Krisflyer Coronavirus waivers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
If no hurry can just wait a while then call in. Think by April, the no of calls should went down (not much flights will be flying )
Yeah I guess I'll call in later.

Just wanted to ask for the rest of you guys/gals' experiences -- did you manage to (1) Get SQ to purposely open up additional saver space for rebooking, failing which (2) Get SQ to cancel ticket entirely and redeposit miles without usd75 redeposit fee?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Does anybody know what retain the value of your ticket means in my context? I am half way through a multi-journey Business(D) ticket on one PNR : ARN-SYD (completed), PER-ARN (May 2020). I booked in back in May 2019 so any "normal extension" would exceed the original ticket 12 month window.

I'd be happy to extend the value of the ticket if it gives me a PER-ARN Business (D) journey to be used before March 2021 except now it's difficult for me to get to Perth so I'd prefer to swap it to a SYD-ARN Business (D) hopefully in June 2020 (I'm an optimist). Are there any thoughts on how the "gap" would be calculated. (I remember at the time I booked there wasn't much difference between PER-ARN and SYD-ARN, but now the ticket is half used they may well calculate things differently.)

Any thoughts before I fill out the form or contact the call centre would be very welcome. Thanks.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Lightbulb Incorrect data point given

Originally Posted by metoo
Why would I be charged a change fee?
I thought it was free to change date.
My flight was cancelled by Singapore Airlines
I cannot be 100% sure about award bookings but for commercial cash bookings, there'll be no change fees nor no show fees if you did not manage to reach SQ customer service hotline. I would assume that it applies to flight redemption as well?
Someone with better knowledge of this - please add on or correct me if I am wrong.

The airline is fully aware of the situation .. but redemption awards, expiring or expired KF miles as well as OTA bookings, do complicate matters further.

In your case (in fact, in all cases - even my own), I'd wait a few more weeks as there's going to be another round of cuts announced today, if it has not already been done.
And since your flight is in 2 months time, I'd use the online form & send in your request to SQ.
Give them some time to reply and if they don't, & it's almost close to your travel date - then I'd call them & be prepared to wait.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/news-alert/?id=inrass4b

In view of the high contact volumes across our customer service touchpoints, we will be waiving no-show fees for travel between 16 to 31 March 2020.

If you have decided not to travel but are unable to reach our customer service representative before your travel date, please be assured that no-show fees will be waived when you rebook or change your ticket to open-dated.

To convert your ticket to open-dated, please submit your request through our online form.

Originally Posted by shihyin
You need to cancel the flight before the date of take off.
You can then call back any time before the ticket expiration date to book another flight into it.
I was told change fee will be charged at the time of re-book.
Of course, all of these can be done in one call if you already know the new flight you want to take.
"You were told ... " you say - so may I ask by whom?
This is incorrect, either by your interpretation of the waiver or from someone you spoke to ..
Was it the airline or word of mouth from other non airline source like friends / online blogs etc.?
Every time mis-information gets out - it not only adds confusion but defeats the purpose of FT & the members who contribute meaningfully.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:35 am

I had two SEA-SIN Business Advantage tickets booked for early April which were just cancelled. We plan on using the credit before Mar 31, 2021 so no issues there. My question is whether there has to be Business Advantage availability on the flight that we choose or if this credit will allow us to book on any flight before Mar 31 that has a business class seat? Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone have context on current refund processing times?

I cancelled a ticket for a full refund almost three weeks ago (posted about it here). I was told I'd receive e-mail confirmation of the refund in a week and should see the refund to my credit card within three weeks of that.

Obviously SQ, like many airlines, is under strain right now, but it's just under three weeks and no sign of even the e-mail confirmation, so I would say my patience is starting to wear thin.

I'm curious what timeline/process others in my situation have been through.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 22, 2020 at 10:09 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:38 pm

Hi all,
new to this forum. Singapore airlines have cancelled our Cairns, Australia to Singapore flight on April 15 (not surprising given the travel bans in both countries). We just booked a cheap non refundable ticket. We have been notified that we are entitled to a free open ticket for 12 months or a no charge once change of booking. Why are we not entitled to a refund if the flight is no longer operating? With a 6 month travel ban in Australia the chance of being able to use Singapore airlines in 12 months is very minimal.
Have others had the same experience? If we booked on the Australian website and paid in Aud are we not entitled to a refund under Australian law?
thanks
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by James Mcauliffe
Hi all,
new to this forum. Singapore airlines have cancelled our Cairns, Australia to Singapore flight on April 15 (not surprising given the travel bans in both countries). We just booked a cheap non refundable ticket. We have been notified that we are entitled to a free open ticket for 12 months or a no charge once change of booking. Why are we not entitled to a refund if the flight is no longer operating? With a 6 month travel ban in Australia the chance of being able to use Singapore airlines in 12 months is very minimal.
Have others had the same experience? If we booked on the Australian website and paid in Aud are we not entitled to a refund under Australian law?
thanks
most likely there should be provision about extraordinary circumstances, which it is now.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:36 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by James Mcauliffe
Hi all,
thanks
If you paid with an Australian credit card you should be able to Dispute the transaction online via Internet banking on the basis that the airline has advised they cannot provide the service. I'm not sure what the outcome would be if you've already been made an offer by SQ but disputing a transaction is always a priority for me under such circumstances
Old Mar 25, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by kaffir76
I cannot be 100% sure about award bookings but for commercial cash bookings, there'll be no change fees nor no show fees if you did not manage to reach SQ customer service hotline. I would assume that it applies to flight redemption as well?
Someone with better knowledge of this - please add on or correct me if I am wrong.

The airline is fully aware of the situation .. but redemption awards, expiring or expired KF miles as well as OTA bookings, do complicate matters further.

In your case (in fact, in all cases - even my own), I'd wait a few more weeks as there's going to be another round of cuts announced today, if it has not already been done.
And since your flight is in 2 months time, I'd use the online form & send in your request to SQ.
Give them some time to reply and if they don't, & it's almost close to your travel date - then I'd call them & be prepared to wait.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg/media-centre/news-alert/?id=inrass4b

In view of the high contact volumes across our customer service touchpoints, we will be waiving no-show fees for travel between 16 to 31 March 2020.

If you have decided not to travel but are unable to reach our customer service representative before your travel date, please be assured that no-show fees will be waived when you rebook or change your ticket to open-dated.

To convert your ticket to open-dated, please submit your request through our online form.

"You were told ... " you say - so may I ask by whom?
This is incorrect, either by your interpretation of the waiver or from someone you spoke to ..
Was it the airline or word of mouth from other non airline source like friends / online blogs etc.?
Every time mis-information gets out - it not only adds confusion but defeats the purpose of FT & the members who contribute meaningfully.
This is what the Singapore airline customer service who helped me cancel the ticket told me, I am pretty explicit in describing my example (one way award, miles expired, not ready to re-book a new itinerary now so no fee has been incurred). Of course, truth can be told only when I actually re-book my ticket, so I can't say whether I will be charged a change fee or not (most likely when things become normal and past the travel waiver). For those who are not able to confirm their change, my experience told me that one might need to be prepared to pay change fee down the road. I hope someone would find my DP useful in the planning, when dealing with such fluid situation.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:00 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Since no one else has had an update... I sent an e-mail to SQ's Canadian reservations centre. They replied reasonably quickly (next day) with the following:

In reference to your query, we have checked your reservation and found that refund request has been forwarded to the relevant department for processing. Please be advised that refund process will take 3-4 months to be credited back to the purchasing card than the usual due to high volume of request.

We appreciate your kind understanding on this matter.
I've replied back that the timeline is unacceptable because clearly it's a decision to hold on to my money rather than a delay in processing and asked them what they'll do to speed it up and get it processed in a reasonable time.

But if I don't get a positive response from them in the next couple of days, I'm going to try a chargeback.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 11:33 am

That's absolutely insane. 3-4 months? They can do a refund as quickly as they could reply to your email if they wanted.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:56 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

We have a business saver award booking in early May for BKK-SIN-DPS -- SQ has not cancelled either flights, but our trip is no longer doable due to the current situation. Will SQ redeposit the miles and refund the taxes/fees charged for the booking back to the original form of payment at no cost?

I am ok if this does not extend the expiration date of miles. I am hopeful about booking another trip in mid-November, but at this point we will not be making any arrangements until at least August/September.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:06 pm

I decided to bypass the web form (which did not yield results) and call in. Zero hold time. I was informed I could get my miles back "in about a week" and taxes/fees would be refunded in four months. That's fine with me if it actually works. There's no written confirmation of anything, but when I log in, my record locator is no longer in my account.

EDIT: Can't find a JFK-SIN saver in F in 2021, so that's lovely. Can't travel before 31 March 2021 anyway so didn't really have a choice but to ask for a refund.

EDIT x2: Miles are back in the account same day. Got an e-mail with refund information. DEFINITELY calling instead of filling out the form jumped the queue.

Last edited by saaveraward; Mar 29, 2020 at 10:07 pm Reason: u
Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Adam Smith

I cancelled a ticket for a full refund almost three weeks ago (posted about it here). I was told I'd receive e-mail confirmation of the refund in a week and should see the refund to my credit card withon three weeks of that.

Obviously SQ, like many airlines, is under strain right now, but it's just under three weeks and no sign of even the e-mail confirmation, so I would say my patience is starting to wear thin.

I'm curious what timeline/process others in my situation have been through.
Deleted. You can thanks the idiots who ridicule and make a mockery of my posts.
tbm13 likes this.

Last edited by northsideguy; Mar 31, 2020 at 9:31 pm
Old Mar 30, 2020, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
That's absolutely insane. 3-4 months? They can do a refund as quickly as they could reply to your email if they wanted.
Exactly!

Originally Posted by northsideguy
I called Singapore Air Contact Center to get a refund for my cancelled flights. An hour later I received the emails with confirmation of refund attached. The email stated 4-6 weeks for refund.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Attached in this email is the Refund Notice for your ticket / voucher / EMD.

You will receive the refund within 4 to 6 weeks, to allow time for the banks to carry out the necessary processes for payment.
Cool, thanks

I'll try phoning tomorrow and see if I can't get it spend up. It wasn't a cheap ticket, so while interest rates are crashing and lowering my opportunity cost, I'd like to have my several thousand dollars back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.