Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ/Krisflyer Coronavirus waivers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
If you bought it thru a travel agent, then SQ can't do anything (travel agent owns the ticket, you go through them for anything until day of travel)

Talk to your travel agent. They should be able to handle this
Except that I spoke to the TA, who was unable to do anything because SQ would not provide a waiver to even move it to June at no charge. They could not just refund the tickets because of the fare rules, and SQ was unwilling to do anything to allow them to do so. Based on my conversation with Chase Travel, if they could have done something I'm sure they would have, But I can't expect Chase to issue a refund on their own and have it come out of their pocket (although they would have been incredibly nice).

Last edited by MisterBill; Feb 27, 2020 at 12:54 am
Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
if airline make an a exception, then everyone will say why he can be refunded. Why I can’t get the refund..
Exactly. And there are stories of such exceptions. One person in my Cruise Critic roll call got a credit, and someone here got a refund.

The real issue as I see it is that this isn't a one-off situation when I have a unique problem (although my exact situation is probably different than others). Other airlines are making exceptions to their fare rules and offering refunds when they would not normally do so.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:23 am
KRS

Travel restrictions page updated now also to apply for flights in April.
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=is5rire4
Last updated on 25 February 2020, 2125hrs (GMT+8)

(...)
Waiver Policy for Customers unable to travel due to Entry or Transit Restrictions

We will waive all cancellation and change fees for customers with tickets issued on or before 25 February 2020 for travel on any Singapore Airlines or SilkAir operated flights from 1 February 2020 to 30 April 2020. The new travel date must commence on or before 31 August 2020.
(...)
My bolding.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
I too am flying paid J (well, actually D, but business cabin). Granted, somebody else paid....but still. I've e-mailed them for clarification on the drinks policy.
They're doing after take-off drinks flying WLG to MEL this afternoon. One Singapore Sling coming right up.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:14 pm

On a side note, Checking through other forums and realized that other airlines are also not flexible in providing waivers.

QF/LH does not even offer any refunds/waiver for change of date/destination for flights to Hong Kong unless QF/LH have cancelled that particular flight. Either you fly or forfeit or pay for the changes.

BA have now decided not to allow refund for any flights to china that are not cancelled, only allowing ticket credit towards another flight to any BA destination at the current price.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
On a side note, Checking through other forums and realized that other airlines are also not flexible in providing waivers.
I'm always hesitant to quote something that happened to me as I don't want anyone to think that I think I'm right and everyone else is wrong ... BUT ... United waived the change fee for me today for a rewards ticket on TG in May, simply because the segment (and it was only a segment) started or ended in Italy where there is now coronavirus. And it was only a $25 fee but they also refunded the points and taxes in full. The remainder of the PNR remained intact as I requested. I've just checked and TG has also updated the PNR at their end
Sinter likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:55 pm

would love to know which Airlines bended the rule.

Originally Posted by MisterBill
I didn't need you to tell me that I am screwed. Other airlines are bending the rules and making exceptions given the situation and not going by the contract. They're not all acting like a**holes like SQ (and you*).

I've had someone on Cruise Critic tell me that I should have known to book my flight thru the cruise line because then when the cruise was cancelled my ticket also would have been cancelled. Or I should have bought the return ticket from Shanghai on the same booking as this one (even though I booked it on Delta) so it could have been cancelled by Singapore since they would have seen that I was going to China (although i wonder if they would have done it if they saw I was starting in Singapore). Neither is helpful and I would dare anyone to have told me that last June (when I booked this flight) that I should have considered this as a possibility. And by the way, I had travel insurance both from my credit card and for the trip, neither of which is covering this.

And Chase (Expedia) agrees that I am not being treated fairly but their hands are tied. The supervisor was going to file a complaint on my behalf, although I doubt it will do anything. He also gave me the address to write to Chase corporate, but once again I doubt it will help.

*Note I normally would not comment like this here but given that similar talk seems to be acceptable in the threads about Global Entry and NYS, I felt it was appropriate to speak my mind.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Just to provide some data points, I have friends in Malaysia who aren't able to get any refunds from AirAsia or Malaysia Airlines flights to Japan (both airlines are only refunding China/HK/Macau tickets). So it doesn't seem like SQ's the only airline resisting blanket refunds.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SQ still has not cancelled and refunded my BKK-HKG-SFO award itinerary, despite cancelling the HKG-SFO flight, and despite confirming in writing on Feb. 19 that the full itinerary would be cancelled and refunded without penalty. Instead, they just sent me a "Confirmation" of my TG flight from BKK-HKG. For which I would be charged 105,000 KF miles and something like $75 in fees.

The customer service at this airline is just unbelievably poor. I've filed a DOT complaint.
cbourl and MisterBill like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jjjohn
would love to know which Airlines bended the rule.
Someone else on my cruise had award travel booked to Singapore on DL and they got their ticket cancelled.

And Jetblue just announced a blanket cancellation policy (there is an article posted here), and they don't even fly to Asia.

Anyway, SQ customer feedback email got back to me and once again said no. I had also cc'ed the senior VP but she did not respond, nor did anyone else (I guess the feedback email handles that stuff).

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your email with the additional feedback.

With regard to your concern, we would like to share that according to our current Corona virus guideline. In order to receive the full refund or waiver of rebooking fees, all the criteria per below need to be met.

1. The Booking must be made to/from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau.

2. Ticket need to be issued on or before 5 February 2020

3. Travel during 24 January-31 March 2020.

While we can empathize with the disappointment experienced, we are unable to accede to your request for the compensation. Thank you for allowing us to explain. As part of our ongoing effort to give the remarkable service, we would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Your feedback is an invaluable part to help us improve our service.

We apologize for your inconvenience and look forward to welcome you on board with our flights again.

Last edited by MisterBill; Feb 28, 2020 at 10:33 am
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:46 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Anyone else surprised at SQ's complacency with regards to northern Italy? A number of other airlines have provided waivers for MIL, VCE, etc, and/or reduced service. SQ hasn't offered a waiver for anything in the region and has only cancelled a couple days of the SIN-MXP-BCN flights, in May.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by MisterBill
Someone else on my cruise had award travel booked to Singapore on DL and they got their ticket cancelled.

And Jetblue just announced a blanket cancellation policy (there is an article posted here), and they don't even fly to Asia.

Jetblue policy apply to newly booked tickets during the current 2 weeks till 11/ March. Basically they just extend the 24hrs free cancellation period longer.

It does not apply any ticket booked earlier.
Thus it is different.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
We have a ticket for Apr that SQ will not refund under the waiver policy. Makes no sense that SQ expects pax to still travel to or through coronavirus infected areas. We *USED TO" prefer SQ because they *USED TO* be dependable in IRROPS and other disruptions. Their illogical coronavirus policy means to us that we no longer will be loyal to SQ and pay a premium to use SQ. If SQ is going to follow the herd, then might as well book with the herd, since they are cheaper. Do what's right SQ!
MisterBill likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:58 am

It seem like SQ management is slow in giving waiver. Scoot have allowed refunds for flight to Korea. But SQ only allow change of date. Not sure what SQ management team is thinking. Even after SIn gov imposed restriction today, still no free cancellations for Korea flights.

Even for Italy, no waiver for rebooking as well.

so many paxes blasting SQ for refusing to refund for Korea flights.
MisterBill likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:52 am

Thailand just impose 14 days self quarantine for any visitors from high risk countries including Singapore. So guess SQ can cancel most of the flights as well

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-ant...gh-risk-areas/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.