Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Grmaht

this is the lowest I’ve found. They were running a promo a few weeks ago on the same routing but it’s gone I think SQ has figured out folks were grabbing this fare. Keep in mind they don’t release a ton of D inventory on this route so get ready to be on the waitlist for a while. I’ve found chasing the customer care center has helped.
the lowest fare now is at USD 2600 it was 2200 for a while
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Did EWR to SIN last week and was disappointed that at 6'6, I could not lie flat. I had read that this would be the case but booked the flight anyway. Lengthwise, I did actually fit, but could not get both feet comfortably into the feet area. Managed to get 4 hours sleep, and spent about 12 hours working. In saying that, the flight was an absolute pleasure thanks to the incredible service and the ability to use the internet for the whole flight (via free Boingo deal). The seat is perfect for working on the laptop.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by earlyriser
use the internet for the whole flight (via free Boingo deal).
... say more
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by shuuy
... say more
It was a deal with my Mastercard. May be Australia only. Turned out to be quite useful.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Your comment about Boingo caught my attention as well. Apparently some non-US Mastercard World Elite cards provide this inflight Boingo benefit. Amex Platinum and SPG Amex cards also provide Boingo memberships, but inflight access is specifically excluded.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by jch636
Your comment about Boingo caught my attention as well. Apparently some non-US Mastercard World Elite cards provide this inflight Boingo benefit. Amex Platinum and SPG Amex cards also provide Boingo memberships, but inflight access is specifically excluded.
Yup-the Boingo that can be used on SQ that is provided by the Mastercard parnerships seems to be much closer to an actual Boingo subscription. The AMEX Boingo preferred plan only provides access to Boingo hotspots, not Boingo memberships that have access to chargable Boingo networks like SQ wifi. However a quick search on the Boingo site only mentions hotspots, not minutes/etc...
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
The HSBC Premier MasterCard in Singapore provides unlimited WiFi through Boingo. It's a great benefit of the card. The issue is that SQ only has Boingo as an option on the 350s/787s and a handful of 77Ws (although it's possible that it has been removed from the 77Ws). Eventually with the roll out of the regional network of 350s/787s things should get better. However, not having this option more widely on 77Ws is a huge gap. Separately, SQ should reconsider the free data allocation of 30MB to PPS Solitaires. Most PPS Solitaires are frequently in business class already (where all customers receive 30MB). Shouldn't PPS Solitaires receive the 100MB allocation (similar to being able to check in using the First Class queue) to create some level of distinction?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:02 am

Just got off SQ22 this morning in J, which was the first revenue flight for 9V-SGE.

Wi-fi was down for the entire flight, which was a major disappointment. Seems like an issue with this aircraft's onboard configuration or dare I say, activating the service with Panasonic. The network was up and running with the KrisWorld IFE system, but clicking through to "buy" led to a blank Panasonic-hosted page.

Some pluses:

- Cabin temperature was kept nice and cool; not having air vents was OK for me on this flight
- Great to have 3 pillows and bedding, a nice feature of the flip-seat is that all the linens are out of the way when stowed
- Crew accommodated my request to have the main meal a bit later in the flight since I'd just snacked; all the satay is heated up for the cart service, so best to grab this when being served

A few nitpicky items:

- It was great to have the new plane smell, though surprisingly, things like the protective stickers on my IFE controller and tray table mechanism were left on
- The lav locking mechanisms need some adjustment - many times a locked lav door wouldn't engage the "locked" status, so lighting in the lav is affected, as well as the in-cabin indicator showing green/red
- Crew overall was light years ahead of the majority of carriers and still good, but seemed rushed and a bit disengaged for SQ. Snacks delivered without a fork, trash not collected, lavs running out of toilet paper, wearing non-uniform jackets in the galley, etc.
- Ran out of small water bottles towards the end of the flight
- Was not a fan of the seat design, enough to sway me from booking this product in the future. The much maligned footwell was an issue for me, since I tend to lounge quite a bit on long hauls. The tray table also seemed oddly angled and was too close to the seat.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
Has anyone had any luck with an UG using miles?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:46 pm

What is the MCT at EWR and is there airside transfer?

I'm considering booking AC7644 from YYZ (STA 08:04, Terminal A) and connecting to SQ21 (STD 09:45, Terminal B). I'll be checking in a bag at YYZ, so if there is airside transfer and I don't need to collect my bag and drop it off again at EWR, my risk tolerance is higher than if I need to do both of those. If there is neither airside transfer or through baggage check, then I would fly in the day before and overnight. Full ticket would be YYZ-EWR-SIN-SYD booked with Krisflyer.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by cnosaj

I'm considering booking AC7644 from YYZ (STA 08:04, Terminal A) and connecting to SQ21 (STD 09:45, Terminal B). I'll be checking in a bag at YYZ, so if there is airside transfer and I don't need to collect my bag and drop it off again at EWR, my risk tolerance is higher than if I need to do both of those. If there is neither airside transfer or through baggage check, then I would fly in the day before and overnight. Full ticket would be YYZ-EWR-SIN-SYD booked with Krisflyer.
I just did the same. Be very careful of vile Air Canada.

They checked my back through YYZ - EWR - SIN. Upon arrival at EWR, I stayed behind for a few minutes and saw my bag being offloaded.
I did not trust them to automatically transfer the bag so I went to the baggage belt reclaim anyway. The bag did not arrive and the AC staff who saw me standing there assured me it would have been transferred.
I arrive in SIN and another lady and myself were at the baggage belt by ourselves. Turns out she also connected on the same AC/ZX7644 as me.
In my case, AC sent my back on a UA flight to SAV. Idiots.

I would say there's enough time to collect your bag at EWR and then wheel it on to the AirTrain and check in properly with SQ.... unless AC shows further incompetence by not delivering it to EWR in the first place. Awful airline.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by cnosaj

Since it's on one ticket, it can (and should) be checked through by AC. And if the ticket was issued, that means the MCT was met.

AC operates from Terminal A1, which has no airside connection to Terminal B2 where SQ departs from. You'll have to exit and take the Airtrain to Terminal B and re-clear security there. However, the lack of airside transit doesn't mean your bags won't be transferred behind the scenes.

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
I just did the same. Be very careful of vile Air Canada.

They checked my back through YYZ - EWR - SIN. Upon arrival at EWR, I stayed behind for a few minutes and saw my bag being offloaded.
Not sure why watching your bag being offloaded was necessary as it tells you nothing about whether it'll be correctly transferred or not.

I did not trust them to automatically transfer the bag so I went to the baggage belt reclaim anyway. The bag did not arrive and the AC staff who saw me standing there assured me it would have been transferred.
To be fair, frontline staff can't tell you what the baggage handlers do with your bag. If it doesn't show up at EWR baggage claim, the agent was correct to say that it was sent as a transfer bag.

I arrive in SIN and another lady and myself were at the baggage belt by ourselves. Turns out she also connected on the same AC/ZX7644 as me.
In my case, AC sent my back on a UA flight to SAV. Idiots.

I would say there's enough time to collect your bag at EWR and then wheel it on to the AirTrain and check in properly with SQ.... unless AC shows further incompetence by not delivering it to EWR in the first place. Awful airline.
It's a shame that your sample size of one turned out to be a negative experience. However, my previous experiences with AC transferring bags has been satisfactory, so I'd advise the OP to check-through from YYZ. I'm not sure AC will even short-check your bags to EWR given the short connecting time.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:27 pm

To report back on my connection experience:
- Flight from YYZ arrived on time at EWR
- Made it from disembarking at Terminal A1 to the VS Clubhouse in Terminal B2 within 30 minutes
-Went by the SQ check-in desks to reprint my boarding passes and the agent confirmed my check bag details
- Checked bag made it through to SYD, though it came out towards the end (whether it was just bad luck or because the first segment of the itinerary was in Y so priority didn't carry over from the next 2 J segments)

This was my first trip in SQ J , some of my notes for SQ21.
Pros:
- The time flew by on this flight. I did SQ26 from SIN-JFK last year in Suites and whilst it was more enjoyable to spend more time in Suites, I can appreciate the time saving without a stop
- I found the 2013 J seat to be very comfortable to sit in, lounge and relax
- I used the complimentary wifi somewhere over Azerbaijan and India and it worked well for iMessage and WhatsApp
- J was not 100% full, so I had a seat and used the empty seat across the aisle as my bed

Nitpicks:
- The leg nook is very cramped and restrictive and I didn't find sleeping in bed mode too comfortable
- As in an above post, the locking mechanism on the toilets still were not engaging
- This was my first SQ segment where there was crew who weren't energetic, confident and pleasant, a big contrast to my connecting flight to SYD
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:55 am

We are flying SQ21 in a few weeks and I know that Book The Cook is not available ex-EWR but I was under the impression that you could pre-order from the regular menu in advance? This doesn't seem to be the case as the standard menu is not viewable? Also, our second flight, SQ237, departs SIN at 00:25. That leg does of course have BTC but I am wondering if it might not be worth it (up to par) considering the abbreviated supper service?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:55 pm

I have rode this route several times. I have a strong impression that the service of the crews on this new route is consistently worse (disengaged and not passionate) than other routes of SQ.
Presumably SQ should be placing its best crews on this route.
Anyone has similar impression?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.