Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76
I was on the same flight - SQ 22 (12FEB) in PEY.
Allow me to share my experience and opinions, which in no way is meant to offend or disregard your experience. Absolutely, this is what FT is all about.

- Lots of comments on the SQ forum about the A350 J seats, so you are not alone in disliking it. The lack of a comfortable reclining position is my compliant. In fact, I briefly considered asking if I could try a seat in PEY to watch a movie.

O/T it's impossible to redeem J Saver on this route - I tried many times last month just before the KF devaluation, for flights 355 days out & there were none at all I guess I was lucky. My trip was only planned 30 days out. I found 4 days where this flight had J saver available, transferred Chase UR points, and was booked within 24 hours on the desired flight.

- I asked the LSS about the cabin lights before final preparation for arrival in EWR, apparently there was a glitch in the system & it just went on by itself.
It happened in the PEY cabin as well, at one point when I was sleeping & got woken up by the lights. Good to know.

- Re: PDB
If you wanted one, I'm pretty sure you can stop & ask any of the cabin crew walking past. I did ask and it was brought to me with a smile! Again, my comment was related to organization.

kaffir76 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I'm traveling next week in J and considering skipping BTC for the special menu designed for this ultra longhaul flight by canyon ranch. I do have to admit, some of the BTC options do look appetizing though.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
I'm traveling next week in J and considering skipping BTC for the special menu designed for this ultra longhaul flight by canyon ranch. I do have to admit, some of the BTC options do look appetizing though.
The Canyon Ranch stuff tastes very healthy (less salt, sauces less rich/creamy, much less oil). If you're up for eating healthy/clean on flights it's fantastic, but recognise it will be a smaller portion as well.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Canyon Ranch is news to me. I'd love to try that. I've enjoyed making stuff from their cool book.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by kaffir76

Top L - R : LSML Fish (supper), LSML chix sandwich (yuck), pizza snack from menu Below L - R : LSML eggs (b/f), delectable selection at the galley/rear of the cabin (from SQ21 - for ref.), Canyon Ranch tofu main

SQ 22 MENU
Hi, thanks.

Think I'll BTC the breakfast (will be choosing Nasi Lemak).

Hopefully can get to try the Canyon-Range option for supper
supper.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Will the FAs refill a hydroflask water bottle if I bring one onboard?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Will the FAs refill a hydroflask water bottle if I bring one onboard?
I assume with hot water - yes, I do not see why they would not
I do the same with my Tupperware/Rubbermaid water bottle, tho' sometimes they just hand me a bottle of water instead of refilling my bottle.

p/s I had to Google "hydroflask "
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Programless
Hi guys,

I would like to share my experience on SQ 36 Premium Economy!
https://www.plumpflyer.com/my-blog/f...r-sq36-sin-lax

Enjoy!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:26 pm

I see the PEY on SQ EWR-SIN priced about the same as regular Y on several other carriers. From experience of anyone who actually had flown it - is it in any way more comfortable/convenient than regular Y on, for example, Qatar or JAL?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Originally Posted by tr3k
I see the PEY on SQ EWR-SIN priced about the same as regular Y on several other carriers. From experience of anyone who actually had flown it - is it in any way more comfortable/convenient than regular Y on, for example, Qatar or JAL?
Easily, yes. I prefer Y on SQ over any other carrier, and SQ’s PEY is even better. I will admit to not having flown JAL, though, so I can’t speak to that particular comparison.

The most common complaint about SQ PEY is that it’s too expensive for what it is, but that doesn’t seem to be an issue in your case.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
J class and Premium Economy seating review

I flew SQ-21 in January (J-class) and came back in February on SQ-22 in Premium Economy. These flights were on the A350-900ULR, my first flights on an A350.

In J from Newark to Singapore, I sat in 16A. It is the last row in the front cabin. Some people may be concerned about the proximity of this seat (and its counterpart 16K) to restrooms behind them. The Seatguru charts don't show it, but there are closets behind 16 A & K that serve as a buffer between the seats and the restrooms. I had no issues with being disturbed by traffic, smells, or flushes of the vacuum toilets, and would book this seat again.

As for the seat itself, I've read a lot of complaints here about the "cubby hole" for the feet. I didn't have any issues with that whatsoever. Granted, at 5'8" I am on the shorter side, but I do want to point out where these seats shine: their width. I've been on numerous other carriers with modern horizontal lie-flat seats in cabins that were exclusively direct-aisle access. It seems that a byproduct of this type of seating in most cases is that the seats are narrow. I don't have a problem with them in sitting position, but for sleeping, they are uncomfortably narrow for having a place to rest your arms, or shifting position if you want to sleep on your side or belly. The J seats on the A350-900 ULR were comfortably wide for sitting and sleeping, including rolling over into different sleep positions.

Lastly regarding J seating, I noted an improvement over the A340-500 and 777's in the strength of the floor; specifically I didn't get disturbed while trying to sleep by people walking down the aisles. On the previous planes mentioned, I used to feel every step a person took as they walked past my row. It wasn't perfect, but did seem much improved.

On the return SQ-22, I flew in Premium Economy with family members in row 40 D-G. I thought the seats were quite preferable to typical standard economy. The increased pitch and shift-forward-on-recline seat cushion meant that I didn't have a seatback in my face when the passenger in front reclined. The design and increased seat width also meant my arms could hang more naturally without encroaching on the person next to me. I would definitely do it again if J-class was not in the cards.
Singapore_Air, snoptro and 2sk21 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Sam Drucker
As for the seat itself, I've read a lot of complaints here about the "cubby hole" for the feet. I didn't have any issues with that whatsoever. Granted, at 5'8" I am on the shorter side, but I do want to point out where these seats shine: their width. I've been on numerous other carriers with modern horizontal lie-flat seats in cabins that were exclusively direct-aisle access. It seems that a byproduct of this type of seating in most cases is that the seats are narrow. I don't have a problem with them in sitting position, but for sleeping, they are uncomfortably narrow for having a place to rest your arms, or shifting position if you want to sleep on your side or belly. The J seats on the A350-900 ULR were comfortably wide for sitting and sleeping, including rolling over into different sleep positions.
Echo this. Maybe it's just too many years with the SQ J seat design, but I simply do not like the J seats of other carriers because of this. I like that the generous width of the SQ seat essentially gives you a flexible space to sit or lie in different positions. I like to sit cross-legged and I also have a tendency to turn a lot in my sleep. No doubt it helps that I'm not a tall person, but hey it's great to have a seat that works more for my size!
Singapore_Air and Ex-SIN like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by Ephlong
Hi guys,
I would like to share my experience on SQ 36 Premium Economy!
Enjoy!
Promote your blog much?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: None anymore
Is BTC still not available for EWR-SIN? Can't book the option for my flight in May...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Nope. Not available.

There's a good 10-15 items on the inflight menu to choose from, which is prob no different from departing JFK with BTC. With the monthly menu refresh you're getting abetter range of options for those flying this route regularly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.