Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I recently flew SQ21, and without going into most details (since I posted to the overrated thread) I'll say that the convenience of this flight makes up for pretty much any other minor complaints I had about it.

The one thing I will mention here is that although the menu implied the second meal would be about 8 hours into the flight and on demand, there was a full service about 10 hours into the flight. Knowing this it's easy to plan around (order a snack around hour 7 or something) but the only way we found out was by asking.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by onlySIA
nor did she swap halfway with hubby to let him have some lie-flat sleep.
Would SQ have allowed that?
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
OK I've given up on redeeming a Saver J flight on SQ 21/22, so I've just wait-listed for a Suites Saver redemption on SQ 26 for next June (2020!)
There's immediate avail. for Suites Saver for July 2020 but I kinda need to travel in June so ...

Wait-listed a J class flight as well ...
Both coming in for far less than what SQ wants for an ADVANTAGE flight on SQ 21/22 - 150k KF miles
# J for 99k & Suites for 132k

@:-)
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:29 pm

J seats with a view?

Hi All,

I just booked on SQ21 in February in J.

I flew SQ22 in J last summer in seat 16K. Unfortunately this time around all of the smaller, forward J cabin is already booked so I'm having to pick my seat in the bigger, mid-plane J cabin.

Wondering if anyone can confirm which K seats in this cabin have an actual view out the window and are not obstructed by the wing? Seat Guru is showing the wing starting from row 21, but in my experience Seat Guru's wing placement isn't always on point. Would love to move a few rows farther back to avoid possible noise/light from the galley/lavs/bassinets if I can pull it off and still have a view.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Also, ill doing mileage run (really a mini-vacation trip) this December by booking SQ 21/22 flight because I want to experience PE and it give me opportunity to secure Alaska status. Price was very attractive but i kept going back and forth between FRA stopover or direct flight. Thankfully both ULR flights, I’m able to grab solo seat since I fly solo.
I'm considering these flights in early April in PE. In checking the seat maps for outbound and return on ExpertFlyer, both show the single seats in the very back as blocked so I know they are "available". I'm an AC STARGold, so when I book with this FF account number, will these seats open up for selection? Otherwise, must I call SQ to book them? Also hold MVPGold with AS and propose to put the mileage into that program as I'll earn twice the 19K+ RDMs. Would SQ recognize this status to open up the single seats? Thanks for any clarification you can provide.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:49 am

Those single seats are reserved for PPS members right now. It will only open up during online check in. (Some did said that it open 96hrs before the flight)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Also hold MVPGold with AS and propose to put the mileage into that program as I'll earn twice the 19K+ RDMs. Would SQ recognize this status to open up the single seats?
LOL, nope, you'll get nothing as an AS MVPG on SQ and like it.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rtner-benefits

MVPG just gives you benefits on BA, FI, HU, and QF. Zero, nada, nil anywhere else.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Those single seats are reserved for PPS members right now. It will only open up during online check in. (Some did said that it open 96hrs before the flight)
Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: free agent
I booked it last Summer, apparently I got lucky that SQ allow me to select those seats but it seems they decide to block those seats. I wouldn't be surprised that SQ KF elites or maybe *A golds can select those seats...

otherwise, gotta wait till 48 hours before departure to snag those seats. I would recommend you pick some back seats since SQ are struggling to sell those seats so cabin shouldnt be full.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:20 pm

Booked SQ21 flight with miles for early March. Question about J seating.
In the smaller front cabin there is only one J seat left - 16A. Plenty of seats in the larger rear cabin.

How much better is the smaller cabin for sleeping vs. the inconvenience of being next to the toilet?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: All statuses lapsed; now I'm just a free-agent, and loving it!
I flew in 16A on SQ21 to Singapore last year, and was wary about it also. But it turned out to be just fine. No noises/smells etc. from the terlet behind that seat. One point to keep in mind is that there is actually a buffer closet between 16A and the commode, so there is some separation that's not generally shown on seating charts.

I will also say that as far as sleeping goes, I've resorted to using ear plugs when sleeping while on a vessel in motion. Turns out it's more the sounds around me, and not the motion, that interrupts my sleep. Though they generally have ear plugs in the amenity kits, I never got the kind of results and comfort from them that I do from these $3 green contoured ones from Walmart: Quiet Contour Foam Ear Plugs
Just be sure to follow the instructions for proper insertion, which is the key to getting a good tight seal.
tr3k likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I'm wondering when the blocked solo seats in PE actually open up to non status passengers? My flight is 36 hours out and I've checked in (at EXACTLY 48 hours) and the two blocked solo seats left still haven't opened up (I'm actually on the LAX-SIN flight if that matters).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:10 am

It's now about 16 hours before my flight and according to Expert Flyer, there are still 2 of the solo seats blocked (plus about 10 others in PE) and I can't select any of them. Does anyone know why or when or even if they might be unblocked? There are also 6 open seats.
Another question, there are a ton of open Business seats. Does Singapore ever offer upgrade options and what might that cost?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by wired2theworld
It's now about 16 hours before my flight and according to Expert Flyer, there are still 2 of the solo seats blocked (plus about 10 others in PE) and I can't select any of them. Does anyone know why or when or even if they might be unblocked? There are also 6 open seats.
Another question, there are a ton of open Business seats. Does Singapore ever offer upgrade options and what might that cost?
try a dummy booking n found 9 open seats which some show as block in EF (Solo seats are not available).

Not to sure what SQ is trying to do. Maybe you wan to try call in n see whethe they can allocate the solo seats or not. Else maybe can go airport early n ask the check in counter to allocate if it is still available. Seem like SQ is waiting till counter check in to allocate these seats.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
try a dummy booking n found 9 open seats which some show as block in EF (Solo seats are not available).

Not to sure what SQ is trying to do. Maybe you wan to try call in n see whethe they can allocate the solo seats or not. Else maybe can go airport early n ask the check in counter to allocate if it is still available. Seem like SQ is waiting till counter check in to allocate these seats.
Yeah, it's odd. Also, EF is showing several other seats as blocked but on the airline page, they are open. Just not the two remaining solo seats. Alos odd, you saw 9 open seats in your dummy booking but I only see 7.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.