Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2018, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
One other option to consider is that Changi Airport will transfer bags on separate itineraries/PNRs ... but only if "full service carrier" > "fuller service carrier" (i.e. SQ > KL/QF etc) ... will not do it for LCCs (i.e. Scoot etc).
Read this thread (post #10 onwards) Transit time / procedure on two separate tickets for Changi
Old May 5, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
One other option to consider is that Changi Airport will transfer bags on separate itineraries/PNRs ... but only if "full service carrier" > "fuller service carrier" (i.e. SQ > KL/QF etc) ... will not do it for LCCs (i.e. Scoot etc).
Read this thread (post #10 onwards) Transit time / procedure on two separate tickets for Changi
Interesting so I should be okay SQ --> KLM and KLM --> SQ (I assume those both qualify as full service to full service) but SQ --> Scoot and Scoot --> SQ is only going to happen automatically if Scoot/SQ agree to it
Old May 6, 2018, 4:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
Interesting so I should be okay SQ --> KLM and KLM --> SQ (I assume those both qualify as full service to full service) but SQ --> Scoot and Scoot --> SQ is only going to happen automatically if Scoot/SQ agree to it
Correct
Old May 6, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I
Irrespective of through checking baggage, I personally would avoid the tight separate ticket connection from KLM. I’ve taken that flight twice in the last 18 months and both times delayed an hour! Maybe I was unlucky but In any event the connection does seem tight without any protection.
Old May 10, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
2 weeks ago, I Tried to interline SQ-TK-PS (Ukraine). 3 separate tickets and agent is willing to do. So not an issue at SIN (at least T2 businessclass)

but it for me, it was the system that rejected the PS sector. Ok up to Istanbul.

Supoosed routing was SIN-BKK-IST-KBP
Old May 13, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Have 3 seperate PNR

Alaska Air MSY-SFO
SQ SFO- HKG
SQ HKG-SIN, SIN-BKK

Any chance Alaska will let me through check to BKK?
Old May 14, 2018, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jinrop
Have 3 seperate PNR

Alaska Air MSY-SFO
SQ SFO- HKG
SQ HKG-SIN, SIN-BKK

On 3 different PNR's I wouldn't get your hopes up. Let us know how it went.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Probably better answered on the AS board as you’ll be hacking in with them first.

IiRC, they don’t check through across tickets.

The return (if there’s one), should not be a problem. I’ve had success with cx across 3 tickets (2 segment CX issued on CX, 1 segment CX issued on LA, 1 segment SQ issued on AV).
Old May 18, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Y
Have 3 seperate PNR
Alaska Air MSY-SFO
SQ SFO- HKG
SQ HKG-SIN, SIN-BKK

this will be an AS-policy not SQ.

for SQ, like I mentioned, 3PNRs will be obliged to but whether the system can accept or not is the issue.

I went up to BKK for same remaining 2PNRs and they didn’t oblige me to inter line. TK policy.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I had AS checked my bags thru on 2 tickets
PDX-LAX (AS),
LAX-HKG (AA) - HKG-SIN (CX)

Have 3 seperate PNR

Alaska Air MSY-SFO
SQ SFO- HKG
SQ HKG-SIN, SIN-BKK

Old May 19, 2018, 11:26 pm

Need assistance w the following scenario.
Looking to book two separate tickets:
SQ: SIN-HKG
CX HKG-PVG

Will SQ help me through check my bags from HKG to PVG? Will i need transit visa if I have to collect bags and recheck them in HKG? My layover will be 3 hrs
Old May 20, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by kaiotes
Need assistance w the following scenario.
Looking to book two separate tickets:
SQ: SIN-HKG
CX HKG-PVG

Will SQ help me through check my bags from HKG to PVG? Will i need transit visa if I have to collect bags and recheck them in HKG? My layover will be 3 hrs
I have done SIN-HKG (SQ) then HKG-SFO (CX) on seperate tickets whereby SQ could check my luggage thru, but I had to collect CX BP in HKG. As a SGP passport holder, we can enter HKG without any visa requirement. That said, I'm inclined to think that you will need to have a visa of sorts otherwise SQ may not let you board the SIN-HKG sector, given they are not on the same ticket.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
SQ JFK-FRA (J) connecting to LH FRA-FLR (Y, operated by CL) should be no problem? Separate PNRs and > 4 hour connect time.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB
SQ has been very kind to me, I had 4 different PNR's all separate tickets and they routed my luggage all the way from SIN to BKK to VIE and onto YYZ. They are the best
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: KF
Sq has been kind to me too . I had MNL-SIN-IST on J then separate cheap revenue Y ticket on TK to Moscow.It took the MNL check in agent a lot of typing and finally said. " Bags are checked thru to Moscow, here is ur blue bp to SIN and to IST, and HERE is your white bp to Moscow. I can't believe it, I ask a TK help desk in IST to check it its indeed a valid boarding pass, he just glance at me, yes sir, see the bar code?? Whats wrong with me??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.