Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Apr 21, 2022, 5:54 pm
  #106  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 2
When requesting SQ to through check bags on 2 different tickets (SQ and LH), do we still check in online for SQ as per normal?
breadie is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2022, 8:11 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 6,610
Originally Posted by breadie
When requesting SQ to through check bags on 2 different tickets (SQ and LH), do we still check in online for SQ as per normal?
Impossible to do so online unless the two tickets are on the same PNR. Even with the same PNR and you're able to successfully check in yourself as passenger, through checking of bags still has to be done at checkin counter physically.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Apr 25, 2022, 12:07 am
  #108  
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Impossible to do so online unless the two tickets are on the same PNR. Even with the same PNR and you're able to successfully check in yourself as passenger, through checking of bags still has to be done at checkin counter physically.
Ah i see, thanks!
breadie is offline  
Old May 3, 2022, 6:03 am
  #109  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 74
How does it work when trying to check bags through on 2 tickets with different baggage allowances? I've *G, so 3x 32 kgs allowed on SQ SIN-DEL, but then thinking of booking DEL-XXX on AI Y and hoping to check it through. The AI flight would have 45 kg allowed, while I believe my bags would total around 65 ish.
NHarmonia is offline  
Old May 3, 2022, 9:27 am
  #110  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Posts: 2,914
Originally Posted by NHarmonia
How does it work when trying to check bags through on 2 tickets with different baggage allowances? I've *G, so 3x 32 kgs allowed on SQ SIN-DEL, but then thinking of booking DEL-XXX on AI Y and hoping to check it through. The AI flight would have 45 kg allowed, while I believe my bags would total around 65 ish.
SQ can tag it through but if you need to re-check it at DEL (eg if it's a domestic connection), someone at AI might notice the difference.

Also, I'm assuming you'll be connecting from North America through SIN, since you mentioned 3x32kg?
SilverChris is offline  
Old May 3, 2022, 3:46 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by SilverChris
SQ can tag it through but if you need to re-check it at DEL (eg if it's a domestic connection), someone at AI might notice the difference.

Also, I'm assuming you'll be connecting from North America through SIN, since you mentioned 3x32kg?
I don't know why I said DEL, my tickets are through BOM instead this time. Yep, domestic connection from BOM. I remember DEL having a separate area that's just for rechecking in bags, maybe BOM has something similar?

Right, I am connecting from North America but had a stopover in Singapore, so now I would be checking in again at SIN so am quite hopeful.

UPDATE: Worked out fine, SQ was able to tag through and get me a boarding pass for both flights at SIN.
At BOM, the transfer desks were closed so I had to go back to departures and wait for the domestic desk to open, should have gone to the arrivals lounge instead.
BOM check in agent did not question the weight of the bags at all, she saw that they were tagged through and just accepted them.

Last edited by NHarmonia; May 7, 2022 at 10:29 pm
NHarmonia is offline  
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:12 am
  #112  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 10,073
Any experience with thru checking via NRT? Getting nervous about Japan not re-opening by Oct. We have an SQ ticket (award from AC) from Phuket to NRT and then later the same day NRT-YVR on AC. I would assume this is a non-issue and the bag can be tagged all the way to Canada at HKT? I am Star Gold as well. Appreciate any comments....
Altaflyer is offline  
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:16 pm
  #113  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
I’m flying SQ out of Seattle in 2 weeks. Seattle to Singapore to Bangkok on one ticket, arriving at BKK at 8:35 AM. 5 hours later, I fly BKK to CNX on Thai airways. Both economy but Thai allows 20 kilos and SQ allows 2 bags at 23 kilos apiece. Is it hit or miss at Seattle, checking bags through to Chiangmai? From what I’ve read, I won’t even try to get Thai airways to book bags through to Seattle on the return.
Dean1953 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 2022, 9:40 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 2,300
Originally Posted by Dean1953
Im flying SQ out of Seattle in 2 weeks. Seattle to Singapore to Bangkok on one ticket, arriving at BKK at 8:35 AM. 5 hours later, I fly BKK to CNX on Thai airways. Both economy but Thai allows 20 kilos and SQ allows 2 bags at 23 kilos apiece. Is it hit or miss at Seattle, checking bags through to Chiangmai? From what Ive read, I wont even try to get Thai airways to book bags through to Seattle on the return.
from what other have posted, seem like you need to collect luggage at BKK and then check in to Thai.
sbs2716g is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:31 am
  #115  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by breadie
When requesting SQ to through check bags on 2 different tickets (SQ and LH), do we still check in online for SQ as per normal?
Did you end up getting SQ to through check onto LH?
Guzla is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:19 pm
  #116  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: YVR, KUL
Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Posts: 2,914
Given the frequency of questions being asked about SQ's through-check policy on separate tickets, I've created a wiki in this thread that will hopefully be of use to the community. Feel free to add and correct where necessary
bpk6h and Cynicor like this.
SilverChris is offline  
Old May 28, 2023, 1:44 am
  #117  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,499
Dont think this needs a seperate thread, but happy to make one if it does.

I want to book an SQ award PER-SIN-SFO then connect to ATL on a seperate paid ticket (no awards all the way)
I am happy to use United but would prefer Delta for the slightly better aircraft on that route, and significantly better timing.

I am wondering if we can check through all the way from PER in this case, esp with delta?

If not, could we sort it in SIN while in transit?

And even if possible or not, would there be any point?
Would it save baggage costs on delta?
I would have to collect bags anyway on entering the USA, so does it make rechecking them easier?

We need a night in SFO airport anyway so maybe theres no point with all this. As Im travelling with an infant and toddler its mostly about saving hauling the bags- well have 2 large bags, and 2 car seats, and a stroller, all as checked luggage (not an HLO convert myself!).

Thank you in advance.
Cynicor is offline  
Old May 28, 2023, 11:38 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Posts: 1,130
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Don’t think this needs a seperate thread, but happy to make one if it does.

I want to book an SQ award PER-SIN-SFO then connect to ATL on a seperate paid ticket (no awards all the way)
I am happy to use United but would prefer Delta for the slightly better aircraft on that route, and significantly better timing.

I am wondering if we can check through all the way from PER in this case, esp with delta?

If not, could we sort it in SIN while in transit?

And even if possible or not, would there be any point?
Would it save baggage costs on delta?
I would have to collect bags anyway on entering the USA, so does it make rechecking them easier?

We need a night in SFO airport anyway so maybe there’s no point with all this. As I’m travelling with an infant and toddler it’s mostly about saving hauling the bags- we’ll have 2 large bags, and 2 car seats, and a stroller, all as checked luggage (not an HLO convert myself!).

Thank you in advance.
You will need to collect your bags at your first port of entry into the US, and then recheck your bags for your next flight, regardless of whether it's on one or two bookings. Given that, your query is moot.
Cynicor and DiamondMile like this.
sol95 is offline  
Old May 29, 2023, 5:33 am
  #119  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,499
Originally Posted by sol95
You will need to collect your bags at your first port of entry into the US, and then recheck your bags for your next flight, regardless of whether it's on one or two bookings. Given that, your query is moot.
That was my suspicion, but other counties have very simple recheck facilities post immigration if you are already checked in.
TBH I didnt really expect the states to be set up that way.
Cynicor is offline  
Old May 29, 2023, 7:03 am
  #120  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Posts: 1,130
Originally Posted by Cynicor
That was my suspicion, but other counties have very simple recheck facilities post immigration if you are already checked in.
TBH I didnt really expect the states to be set up that way.
I'm not sure for SFO, but for LAX, they did have check in desks immediately after customs at TBIT so you didn't have to lug your baggage to whatever terminal you were next flying out of. I'd assume it's the same for SFO.
Cynicor likes this.
sol95 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.