Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Many thanks. What about cross-alliance interlining? Will interlining a long-haul SQ flight with a connecting flight on BA be ok?

I take it the airport could play a major role here, so checking in your bags all the way might work when departing on SQ from Changi, but not so much so when departing from LHR on BA and then connecting to an onwards flight on SQ?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by aster
Many thanks. What about cross-alliance interlining? Will interlining a long-haul SQ flight with a connecting flight on BA be ok?

I take it the airport could play a major role here, so checking in your bags all the way might work when departing on SQ from Changi, but not so much so when departing from LHR on BA and then connecting to an onwards flight on SQ?
If flights are on the one PNR or ticket it will be OK. If not, it is the policy of the first/originating carrier that determine whether a bag will be through checked or not ( when travelling on separate tickets). Alliances only come into play when a carriers policy mentions them (eg QF will allow through checking to other one world carriers, even if on different tickets).

SQ will allow through checking to BA. BA will not through check to SQ if on separate ticket.

Some carriers won't allow through checking to alliance partners, and some (eg. NZ) won't even allow bags to be through checked to their own flights if on a different ticket!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
A query - My friend was travelling today on SQ to LHR (SQ308) then connecting on a seperate ticket to LIS on TAP Portugal.

SQ check-in staff mentioned that for LHR, SQ can check through if:
- All flights are on the same ticket; or
- All *A partners, except TAP Portugal.

Anybody know what's up with this policy for TAP Portugal?

Last edited by tango3; Jan 15, 2015 at 6:26 pm
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by tango3
A query - My friend was travelling today on SQ to LHR (SQ308) then connecting on a seperate ticket to LIS on TAP Portugal.

Anybody know what's up with this policy for TAP Portugal?
So now they won't interline with non-*A carriers, for instance from OW?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
So now they won't interline with non-*A carriers, for instance from OW?
Apparently, it applied to SQ stops at LHR.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Any change in interlining policy between SQ and LH?

Need to book two separate flights/bookings on these airlines with a 1:15 connection time in MUC, so can only do this if the bags can be checked in all the way.

How about SQ and TK, 1 hour connection separate tickets. It's on the dot of the MCT for international to international connections.
If I miss it I will just book the next flight which is too many hours away but not expensive at all.

SQ shouldn't' have a problem with the interlining?

EDIT: I just remembered, SQ doesn't have a jet bridge at IST am I right? If so then I'm not doing this 1 hour connection.

Last edited by lsed; Jan 26, 2015 at 4:08 pm
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:52 pm

can anyone share the latest SQ interline partner agreement ??

i got an award ticket on SQ arriving at SIN at 5:55am and bought a wrong ticket at 640am (MH), just wondering will SQ check-thru the baggage ?

Last edited by annielee; Feb 4, 2016 at 2:36 am
Old May 21, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm just trying to understand the current interline policy for SQ. I'm flying NRT-LAX on SQ. On a separate ticket I have a connecting flight from LAX to NYC on AA. I believe SQ will check through my luggage on to the AA flight. Is this the case? I understand I will have to walk the luggage through customs in LAX. AA apparently does not check baggage thru to SQ though so I will have to retrieve and recheck my baggage on the outgoing flight.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:08 am

Deleted
Old May 25, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Red259
I'm just trying to understand the current interline policy for SQ. I'm flying NRT-LAX on SQ. On a separate ticket I have a connecting flight from LAX to NYC on AA. I believe SQ will check through my luggage on to the AA flight. Is this the case? I understand I will have to walk the luggage through customs in LAX. AA apparently does not check baggage thru to SQ though so I will have to retrieve and recheck my baggage on the outgoing flight.
If its on separate tickets, SQ may ask you to just retrieve the bag and recheck in.

It really depends on what the station manager will allow... There is no SET rules pertaining to USA flights given the heightened security concernes nowadays. But generally SQ is quite ok with connecting bags to other carriers on separate tickets.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by tango3

Ok so earlier on in 2014 there are lots of reports SQ connecting with no issues to BA at LHR. But with the above post from tango3, I would just like to confirm it is still possible to interline SQ to BA.

I have a 3 hour connection that is definitely enough but just want to avoid having to lug baggage on the train if possible.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The policy is not SQ's per se but rather LHR rules.

If its on separate tickets, it has something to do with security and your connecting flight is the next day. If it is all on one ticket, then there is no issue with keeping the bag at the airport...and putting on to the connecting flight.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:30 am

I understand that it's not allowed if connecting flight is the next day (on separate tickets)

However I'm wondering if on separated SQ + BA tickets but with same day connection (3 hours), if the interlining will still be possible for SQ > BA at LHR, like it has been possible the past few years.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsed
I understand that it's not allowed if connecting flight is the next day (on separate tickets)

However I'm wondering if on separated SQ + BA tickets but with same day connection (3 hours), if the interlining will still be possible for SQ > BA at LHR, like it has been possible the past few years.
From my understanding, YES.
Old May 29, 2016, 11:08 am

Thanks Guy Betsy, your help is appreciated as always!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.