Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2023, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by sol95
You will need to collect your bags at your first port of entry into the US, and then recheck your bags for your next flight, regardless of whether it's on one or two bookings. Given that, your query is moot.
I believe the OP doesn't get free bags on DL, in which case getting SQ to tag the bags through might get around that - so long as they can drop the bag at the connections belt (if it's an option at SFO) and avoid any interaction with DL agents. It's not a foolproof method, as DL could well demand payment if they find out, but there's a good chance they won't.
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Would it save baggage costs on delta?
As a side note, I've noticed a higher incidence of delayed bags with these generic connecting bag-drop belts.
Cynicor likes this.
Old May 29, 2023, 3:42 pm

Thanks all. The bag coats are incidental to the total trip cost, but I figure it’s worth asking. I will try in PER and update accordingly. The trip is May/June 2024 so it will be a while!
Old May 30, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
We're planning a trip to SIN/Malaysia next may. Award tickets are available in PE to SIN, but not continuing to Penang in PE (at least by looking online).
As I understand the wiki, buying separate tix with SQ or Scoot (for the second leg) should be no problem re: interlining?

Thanks,
Caro
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:10 am

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
SQ to Scoot

Originally Posted by Carotthat
We're planning a trip to SIN/Malaysia next may. Award tickets are available in PE to SIN, but not continuing to Penang in PE (at least by looking online).
As I understand the wiki, buying separate tix with SQ or Scoot (for the second leg) should be no problem re: interlining?

Thanks,
Caro
Bumping this question and wondering if anyone has recently tried interlining SQ to Scoot on separate PNR?

In my case it will be SQ J into SIN connecting to KCH on Scoot. I realize this is outside normal policy and am not relying on it.

Last edited by Ubud; Jun 20, 2023 at 1:11 am Reason: Typo
Old Jun 26, 2023, 4:31 am

Programs: LH HON
SIN-BKK (SQ) Y
BKK-FRA (TG) C

shouldn't be a problem according to the rules, right?
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Ubud
Bumping this question and wondering if anyone has recently tried interlining SQ to Scoot on separate PNR?

In my case it will be SQ J into SIN connecting to KCH on Scoot. I realize this is outside normal policy and am not relying on it.
no interline for scoot if on separate ticket.
Interline possible if you buy the codeshare via SQ. (Ie one PNR). But if you are redeeming award, then not possible to redeem scoot award.

further Scoot are charging for luggages.

so you need to clear immigration, collect luggage and check in to scoot.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:58 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Originally Posted by ckx2
SIN-BKK (SQ) Y
BKK-FRA (TG) C

shouldn't be a problem according to the rules, right?
Yeah no problem. Done it before. Only thing is that it might not be tagged as priority and your bags will be slow on arrival.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by dfs24
Yeah no problem. Done it before. Only thing is that it might not be tagged as priority and your bags will be slow on arrival.
In my experience they've been quite generous with priority tags on separate tickets. They've even provided F tags when connecting to domestic "F" on DL before. Not that it made a slightest difference on arrival, but that's another story...
Old Jun 27, 2023, 5:24 am

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy LTT, ALL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
no interline for scoot if on separate ticket.
Interline possible if you buy the codeshare via SQ. (Ie one PNR). But if you are redeeming award, then not possible to redeem scoot award.

further Scoot are charging for luggages.

so you need to clear immigration, collect luggage and check in to scoot.
I'm sure that's the official policy, but as of yesterday, ground staff at DAD were quite willing to check my bags through even with the separate PNR. So clearly the SQ system will allow it. Not sure if it made a difference, buy I had prepaid for Scoot luggage.

They even printed my Scoot boarding passes, but then decided I would need to go to the transfer desk and get the BP there. Staff at SIN transfer desk (T1 transfer C) processed the BPs without a hassle and the bags showed up in KCH.

It's obviously a YMMV situation, but it was nice to not have to clear immigration after all.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: BAEC G, VS G, Marriot Plat
OLCI question SQ interlining to BA SIN-BOM-LHR

Booked on SQ422 tomorrow SIN-BOM and then onwards to LHR on BA198 but two tickets.

Does it impact SQ bag interline request if I’ve used OLCI for the second BA flight or should I wait until SQ have sorted their bit.

Thoughts appreciated.

EDIT
it didn’t make any difference, super job by SQ checking bag all the way through and printing BA bp. (Already had one but impressive nevertheless.)

EDIT 2
Bag safely arrived at LHR, saved no end of faffing at Mumbai immigration. Note as per the advice above, definitely show the baggage claim to the gate ground staff, they were waiting for me to show up before loading the bag. That and the boarding gate agent said I was on the wrong airline when I showed the SQ bp

Last edited by spanners; Jun 29, 2023 at 12:13 pm
Old Jul 8, 2023, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Possible on separate tickets from SQ to KLM ?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 8:07 pm

LAX-SIN and SIN-DPS

Booking a trip to Bali for next year and will be ending up with two separate award tickets booked through Aeroplan on SQ. With +2 days on arrival in SIN I couldn't book SIN-DPS at the same time as LAX-SIN segment without risking the LAX-SIN award getting snatch up. Going through the threads it sounds like you can now transit SIN even through on two separate tickets. I'll be booking the SIN-DPS flight soon but am weighing needed connection time and if I'll need to go to baggage claim and re-enter or if I'll be able to check bags through to DPS at LAX and transit SIN.

Both flights will be booked through Aeroplan
LAX-SIN (SQ) Business (I)
SIN-DPS (SQ) Business (I)
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by nbecks
Going through the threads it sounds like you can now transit SIN even through on two separate tickets.
Singapore has been open to general visitors for 1.5 years now, so unless you need a visa for SIN this is a moot point.
Originally Posted by nbecks
I'll be booking the SIN-DPS flight soon but am weighing needed connection time and if I'll need to go to baggage claim and re-enter or if I'll be able to check bags through to DPS at LAX and transit SIN.
SQ-SQ is addressed in the wiki, quite near the top.

Your bigger concern should building a reasonable buffer into your self-connection, since there's no guarantee you'll be protected in case of a misconnect.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:26 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Question on interlining to SQ at LHR I have an upcoming trip involving two separate PRN: first segment - - ORD-LHR on UA and second segment - - LHR-SIN on SQ. I understand that UA will interline to SQ, but with the catch that the connection time is under 12 hrs. There are 3 non-stop options for the ORD-LHR flight, with connection times of 14 hrs, 12.5 hrs and 9.5 hrs respectively. If I end up with either of the first two connection times I will claim the bags, clear immigration and re-check bags with SQ....

My question: If SQ is open for an earlier LHR-SIN flight when I clear immigration... will SQ check my bags for a later flight that same day even though they are not yet open for that later flight??
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:40 am

We have recently had 2 separate tickets to Singapore with scoot and then on to Penang and could not have it interlined .Going through immigration and picking up suitcase to rebook went quick though.
oops sorry misread the question :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.