Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Oct 31, 2023, 5:42 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
Looking to fly KTM--SIN on SQ
have a separate ticket from SIN -- YVR on AC
i am planning on leaving 27hrs between these flights so wouldn't need to interline
if however my travels within Nepal get completely messed up, and i have to move flight to the following day, with only 3 hrs between SQ and AC flights, will SQ agent in KTM interline my bags? Both *A but separate tickets and I don't know how helpful SQ (or not) agents at KTM will be
just wondering how viable of a plan b i have

on a somewhat related note. If i were to book the same flight on consecutive days planning on cancelling second one would that trigger something with ticketing at SQ? hypothetically it would be physically possible to travel on both but I'm not sure how SQ handles these issues.
SQ can through tag bags on AC flights from SIN. Can't answer about the ticketing issues though.
tdiddy23 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 12:15 am

SFO-SIN SQ J and SIN-SYD SQ F

Hi I'm planning to book SQ J via Aeroplan and SQ F directly with SQ. There are 5 hrs in between the flights. Based on the info at the top of the thread, is it pretty safe to assume that SQ will check me and bags all the way through to SYD? And in the case of a misconnect, they would likely be nice enough to help rebook? And if I do have to recheck, is 5 hrs plenty of time for Changi? Thanks so much!
Old Dec 13, 2023, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by angel_yunjie
Hi I'm planning to book SQ J via Aeroplan and SQ F directly with SQ. There are 5 hrs in between the flights. Based on the info at the top of the thread, is it pretty safe to assume that SQ will check me and bags all the way through to SYD? And in the case of a misconnect, they would likely be nice enough to help rebook? And if I do have to recheck, is 5 hrs plenty of time for Changi? Thanks so much!
SQ will check bags through, just show them both reservations.
Singapore_Air likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 3:10 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by angel_yunjie
Help with rebooking is not guaranteed as you are on two separate tickets. My take is that they will probably be inclined to support as the incoming flight is on SQ as well, but you do not have a right per se to be rebooked and certainly don't have a case for getting a free hotel or such and all that comes with potential disruptions for someone traveling on one trough ticket. Probably may make sense after booking to call SQ and ask to link the PNRs so they are aware. This should be possible even if the first booking is issued on AC ticket stock and not SQs as the PNR will flow to SQ as the operating carrier.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2023, 3:43 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by demue
Probably may make sense after booking to call SQ and ask to link the PNRs so they are aware. This should be possible even if the first booking is issued on AC ticket stock and not SQs as the PNR will flow to SQ as the operating carrier.
PNRs cannot be linked like that. The most the call centre people can do is enter remark in both PNRs but it doesnt create a link.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:19 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SilverChris
PNRs cannot be linked like that. The most the call centre people can do is enter remark in both PNRs but it doesnt create a link.
Hmm, maybe I'm recalling my days of playing around with Altea ARD wrongly, but I thought there was a way to create a "linkage" of sorts, but it would not turn two tickets into being treated like one of course. Heck, maybe it was annotations in the comment section of each PNR, memory fades with age .
Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:07 pm
QG

Programs: QF WP, SQ TPPS
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I think the SQ system can see that a pax has two consecutive bookings and somehow links or displays them to the check in agent - similar to the OP, I recently had an F segment and a J segment on two separate tickets (no married segment availability online but somehow reservations wanted to sell me a fare at double the cost of two separate tickets, so I declined and just bought the two tickets separately). The check in agent was able to see both bookings and checked my bags straight through to ultimate destination with no prompting from me.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 2:47 am

Programs: Stanby life since 2007
Planning a trip LAX - VTE

1st option: LAX - SIN on SQ ( J award) SIN - VTE (separate ticket) on Scoot. From what Ive read, SQ wont interline bags on scoot. The recheck / charge for bags sounds like a headache, but one stop.

2nd option: LAX - SIN - BKK SQ (J award) BKK - VTE TG (separate ticket). Star to star should be able to interline bags all the way through. But with an extra stop in BKK.

Any tips or thoughts to do LAX - VTE? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by realgaga
Internal guidelines says that bags can be tagged through to OS flights.
Thank you realgaga One additional piece of information I'm concerned about is that I am a U.S. Citizen traveling from New York. Would the laws require me to pick up checked bags and go through customs in Frankfurt, or would I be able to complete customs at the final destination?

Thank you again.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by jbright
Thank you realgaga One additional piece of information I'm concerned about is that I am a U.S. Citizen traveling from New York. Would the laws require me to pick up checked bags and go through customs in Frankfurt, or would I be able to complete customs at the final destination?

Thank you again.
Assuming your bags are checked through, you'll clear immigration in FRA (as that's your first port of entry into EU), but you won't have to re-pickup your bags. You'll get your bags in VIE (or wherever your final destination is in the EU, assuming your bags are checked through).

Source: I used to fly JFK - FRA - (elsewhere in Europe) monthly for work, with bags checked through to the final destination. Immigration was always at FRA (first port of entry), with bags picked up at the final destination (customs).

Last edited by hardworking21; Jan 3, 2024 at 8:25 pm
Old Jan 1, 2024, 10:16 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by hardworking21
Source: I used to fly JFK - FRA - (elsewhere in Europe) monthly for work, with bags checked through to the final destination. Customs was always at FRA (first port of entry), with bags picked up at the final destination.
Just a typo there. You mean Immigration was always at FRA (not customs).

I do the same a lot. Immigration is always at the first point of entry into Schengen and customs is at your final destination.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:17 am

Assuming your bags are checked through, you'll clear immigration in FRA (as that's your first port of entry into EU), but you won't have to re-pickup your bags. You'll get your bags in VIE (or wherever your final destination is in the EU, assuming your bags are checked through).

Source: I used to fly JFK - FRA - (elsewhere in Europe) monthly for work, with bags checked through to the final destination. Customs was always at FRA (first port of entry), with bags picked up at the final destination.
Thank you so much for this info. Would you think I will be good with 2 hours to make this connection assuming the bags do get checked through? Thanks again!
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by sydunipete
Just a typo there. You mean Immigration was always at FRA (not customs).

I do the same a lot. Immigration is always at the first point of entry into Schengen and customs is at your final destination.
Ah yes good catch - updated the post
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by jbright
Thank you so much for this info. Would you think I will be good with 2 hours to make this connection assuming the bags do get checked through? Thanks again!
Sorry for back to back posts - not sure how to do multiple quotes in one reply but if bags are checked through, 2 hours is plenty of time to go through immigration, go to the lounge even and get a bite to eat or shower (if no queues for shower), and then hop to your onward flight.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:02 am

Sorry for back to back posts - not sure how to do multiple quotes in one reply but if bags are checked through, 2 hours is plenty of time to go through immigration, go to the lounge even and get a bite to eat or shower (if no queues for shower), and then hop to your onward flight.

just use the multi tab. Select whatever posts you want to quote by clicking the multi tab
hardworking21 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.