Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jan 26, 2023, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SilverChris
Singapore Airlines' (SQ) through-check baggage policy on separate tickets

Official policy: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/b...question-60958
Note that the requirement of having a single itinerary to transit through SIN is out of date

SQ - SQ
Yes, provided your connection is legal.

SQ - Other airlines
Yes, in most cases. As long as there's an interline agreement with the subsequent carrier(s), and your connection time is legal, SQ should check it through. There may be exceptions, such as where the connecting point cannot accept through-checked bags.

Scoot (TR) - SQ
No, Scoot will not tag your bag to an SQ flight if it's on a separate ticket.

Other airlines - SQ
Check with the airline that will be accepting your bag.

FAQ
How do I ask to be through-checked from SQ to another airline?

At the check-in desk, tell the agent you have an onward flight, and show a printout/screenshot of your e-ticket for the onward flight(s).

Will I receive my boarding pass(es) for the subsequent flight(s)?
Most likely. SQ has the capability of printing boarding passes for your subsequent flights, even on other airlines, but this doesn't always work.

Is SQ obligated to check me in across separate tickets?
No, especially if it's to another airline. It is, however, a courtesy offered by SQ at their discretion and is not guaranteed. There may be instances of inexperienced/unhelpful check-in staff, or unforeseen exceptions. You should always have a contingency plan in case you're refused. In other words, always meet the entry requirements for the destination on your first ticket, and leave sufficient time to clear arrival formalities and re-check your bag.

My bag was tagged by SQ to another airline, and now it's mishandled (delayed/lost/damaged). Which airline is responsible?
The final delivering carrier is always responsible, even if they're not at fault. This is true even if you're on separate tickets. You must file a report with the final carrier listed on your baggage claim stub.

I was through-checked by SQ, but missed my connection. Will SQ rebook my onward travel?
If it's SQ-SQ, they're usually proactive at rebooking you even on separate tickets. If it's to another carrier, you're at the mercy of that airline and your fare rules. This is the inherent risk of travelling on separate tickets, so plan accordingly.

My tickets have different baggage allowances and/or I hold status with the subsequent airline. Which allowance will SQ honour?
Anecdotal reports suggest SQ will usually honour the higher allowance, if your onward flight is on SQ. If your onward flight is on a different airline, expect SQ to honour the allowance of your flight with them, along with any extra allowance your applicable status would get you on SQ (i.e. PPS/KFEG/*A/VS/VA Gold etc). Should you hold status that gets you extra allowance on the subsequent airline, but not SQ (e.g. oneworld Emerald, AC E35K, etc), don't expect SQ to honour it.
For example:
Ticket 1: SQ SIN-LHR Y, no status = 30kg
Ticket 2: AA LHR-ORD Y, OW Emerald = 3*23kg
Expect SQ to honour Ticket 1's baggage allowance
Print Wikipost

Singapore policy on interlining on separate tickets

Old Jun 7, 2024, 7:05 pm

Hi all! I have a SQ award flight SIN-MEL, and would like to book a flight MEL-ZQN.

I have 3 choices (NZ, QF, EK), which one has the best chance for me to have SQ interline my checked luggage through to ZQN? I would like to avoid going through immigration in MEL. TIA!
Old Jun 10, 2024, 9:07 am

Programs: Stanby life since 2007
Any recent data points on SQ transferring bags to Scoot on separate reservations? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Hyphos
Hi all! I have a SQ award flight SIN-MEL, and would like to book a flight MEL-ZQN.

I have 3 choices (NZ, QF, EK), which one has the best chance for me to have SQ interline my checked luggage through to ZQN? I would like to avoid going through immigration in MEL. TIA!
All 3 can be checked through.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by SMILY
Would like to confirm the MCT is OK and that SQ can through check my bags and get boarding pass. Bookings are on two separate PNRs. Thank you!

Flight 1: SQ 708 SIN 0930 BKK 1100 (Y)
Flight 2: BR 67 BKK 1230 LHR 1925 (PEY)
Not sure about MCT but baggage can be checked through to BR.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by san88
Any recent data points on SQ transferring bags to Scoot on separate reservations? Thanks in advance.
Close to zero chance. Agents are told explicitly not to do this.
Old Jun 10, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: QF Plat, SQ*G, HH Diamond, ALL Plat, IHG Plat
In a few months I will be flying SYD-SIN-HKG in SQ F then HKG-KIX in CX J on separate tickets. I know I'm not entitled to the check-through, but I believe SQ/CX do interline so I'm not expecting much resistance as a Suites passenger (also KFEG)

I have a 12 hour overnight layover in SIN, then 3 hours in HKG. The 3 hours is a risk, but I don't have any pressing commitments at my destination, am flying solo, and it was the only onwards award I could find so have decided it's a risk I'm comfortable taking. I'd be perfectly fine without my luggage for a few days too if I make the transfer but my bags don't.

If I can't convince SYD check-in staff to tag my bags all the way to KIX, should I ask them to short-check to SIN and I'll try again there? Keen to hear of anyone who's been in this situation before and how it worked out for you.

Will be well under the baggage allowance for both tickets. Pending FT experiences I might opt for HLO ...

Last edited by sudoer; Jun 10, 2024 at 10:42 pm
Old Jun 12, 2024, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by sudoer
In a few months I will be flying SYD-SIN-HKG in SQ F then HKG-KIX in CX J on separate tickets. I know I'm not entitled to the check-through, but I believe SQ/CX do interline so I'm not expecting much resistance as a Suites passenger (also KFEG)

I have a 12 hour overnight layover in SIN, then 3 hours in HKG. The 3 hours is a risk, but I don't have any pressing commitments at my destination, am flying solo, and it was the only onwards award I could find so have decided it's a risk I'm comfortable taking. I'd be perfectly fine without my luggage for a few days too if I make the transfer but my bags don't.

If I can't convince SYD check-in staff to tag my bags all the way to KIX, should I ask them to short-check to SIN and I'll try again there? Keen to hear of anyone who's been in this situation before and how it worked out for you.

Will be well under the baggage allowance for both tickets. Pending FT experiences I might opt for HLO ...
The guidelines say that this should be permitted, unless the system doesn't allow it.
If the SYD (dnata?) check in agent says no, ask to speak to the SQ counter duty officer or CSS.
sudoer likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2024, 9:16 pm

Programs: Whatever is cheapest
Has anybody had experience interlining on separate tix from SQ24 to B6 (Jetblue)? The connection time is just under 12 hours. Also, we are originating from CGK (SQ951).
Edit: I assume we will still have to temporarily retrieve our bags at JFK to go through customs.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Singapore Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by twoclicks
I wasn't able to tell from previous answers, perhaps someone cane help: if flying BWN - SIN on *redemption* then SIN - DPS with cash, both booked directly with SQ, are they likely to allow me to check luggage all the way through (KrisFlyer elite gold)? It is 1h50 min connection, though if wanting to be safe I could move to 3h30.
I can confirm I was interlined without even needing to ask - boarding passes came out automatically
Old Jun 29, 2024, 10:13 am

BCN-LHR on BA to LHR-SIN-MEL on SQ (Separate Tix)?

Hi, I hope this is the right thread to ask:

I have separate tickets BA BCN-LHR (T5) then, after a 6 hour layover, LHR-SIN-MEL on SQ departing from T2.

Should I be able to through check my bags to MEL in BCN?

From what I have read, BA and SQ have a may check baggage through interline agreements in both directions, it is a same day transfer at LHR, so it should be possible.

Should I avoid checking in online before I get to the airport to reduce the chance of this impacting the likelihood of success, or is check in status irrelevant?

To the extent that it will help, booked in J so will be dealing with hopefully aiming to please counter staff.
Old Jun 29, 2024, 10:47 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
This is a question for BA because youll be starting your journey with them, not SQ. Unfortunately, BA doesnt tag bags across separate tickets. Check out the BA forum for more info on this.
sudoer and BJReplay like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.