Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Seen that Alaskan now has full access to SQ awards across all aircraft incl First class. This is not good news for SQ members.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, AS, IHG
Waitlist availability at Saver -- improved likelihood of clearing?

Hello all, I've been looking to book 2 business class award seats on SQ from NRT-LAX next summer. During the week that I'm looking for, none of the days are showing availability right now. However, some days show only Advantage waitlist as an option and others show both Saver waitlist and Advantage waitlist as options.

I've never done an SQ waitlist booking before. Does anybody know whether the existence of Saver waitlist availability implies a better chance (or even a *good* chance?) of actually clearing than when only Advantage waitlist is present?

Or is it all just a giant mystery?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by shelanman
Hello all, I've been looking to book 2 business class award seats on SQ from NRT-LAX next summer. During the week that I'm looking for, none of the days are showing availability right now. However, some days show only Advantage waitlist as an option and others show both Saver waitlist and Advantage waitlist as options.

I've never done an SQ waitlist booking before. Does anybody know whether the existence of Saver waitlist availability implies a better chance (or even a *good* chance?) of actually clearing than when only Advantage waitlist is present?

Or is it all just a giant mystery?

Admittedly I do have status with SQ and for all saver waitlists I’ve applied for SIN-LAX have always gone through - booked 6 months advance and they cleared 1-2 months before departure. Always had back up plans in event they didn’t clear though.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Seen that Alaskan now has full access to SQ awards across all aircraft incl First class. This is not good news for SQ members.
Except for very specific cases (and those cases are the ones where SQ has the most wide-open award inventory- China/SE Asia), KF is still the superior program for access to SQ award inventory, and given that access to KF mileage transfers is broadly available for US residents via Chase UR, Amex MR, Citi TY and Capital One, what's adding a different US program that in most cases is a WORSE option than transferring a bunch of UR/MR points to KF going to do?

It's nice that SQ J from the US is available, but let's see, for a USA-BKK redemption using AS miles, you have CX J for 50k, JL J for 65k, CX F for 70k, JL F for 75k, SQ J for 100k. Huh. Seems pretty obvious you're not going to pay an extra 25-30k for a WORSE cabin if other options are available, no? And why not just dump from UR and get access to all SQ inventory?

IMO the impact's pretty limited compared to being able to dump transferrable points to KF...
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Except for very specific cases (and those cases are the ones where SQ has the most wide-open award inventory- China/SE Asia), KF is still the superior program for access to SQ award inventory, and given that access to KF mileage transfers is broadly available for US residents via Chase UR, Amex MR, Citi TY and Capital One, what's adding a different US program that in most cases is a WORSE option than transferring a bunch of UR/MR points to KF going to do?

It's nice that SQ J from the US is available, but let's see, for a USA-BKK redemption using AS miles, you have CX J for 50k, JL J for 65k, CX F for 70k, JL F for 75k, SQ J for 100k. Huh. Seems pretty obvious you're not going to pay an extra 25-30k for a WORSE cabin if other options are available, no? And why not just dump from UR and get access to all SQ inventory?

IMO the impact's pretty limited compared to being able to dump transferrable points to KF...
Its just that Alaskan sells its miles quite cheap and all the bloggers are now advertising Get SQ First China to Singapore for something silly like $350. That attracts a whole new bunch.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Its just that Alaskan sells its miles quite cheap and all the bloggers are now advertising Get SQ First China to Singapore for something silly like $350. That attracts a whole new bunch.
That's my thought as well. The other interesting thing is that AS has shown availability for two flights I have waitlisted for SQ. Which is really annoying for KrisFlyer members.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:39 am

SQ might ask AS to block its free stopover rules on SQ China/HK flights.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by terbangalways
SQ might ask AS to block its free stopover rules on SQ China/HK flights.
I tot those on AS forum mention that the free stopover have been blocked? Think still can book HKG-SIN-PVG but only on transit. Maybe SQ will also block such redemption. SQ should follow CX. Only allow awards start or end at SIN, and for US gateways only.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
I tot those on AS forum mention that the free stopover have been blocked? Think still can book HKG-SIN-PVG but only on transit. Maybe SQ will also block such redemption. SQ should follow CX. Only allow awards start or end at SIN, and for US gateways only.
I agree, and if you follow the tricks on the Chinese forums, you can actually get yourself from SE Asia to Europe in SQ biz for 25K AS miles.....so availability for KF members is going to end up being bad.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Didn't check on AS forum. Checking on AS redemption now and yes indeed blocked. Only transit allowed now. But at 60K in J & 75K in F/J combo.
Well any loopholes published by those bloggers will soon be blocked by airlines.

Restricting start/end SIN will block JAL sweetspots. Which is bad for us as this is the primary use for Asia based ASMP.

Last edited by terbangalways; Oct 15, 2019 at 8:37 pm Reason: addition
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I agree, and if you follow the tricks on the Chinese forums, you can actually get yourself from SE Asia to Europe in SQ biz for 25K AS miles.....so availability for KF members is going to end up being bad.
Sushhhh...
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by terbangalways
Sushhhh...
It's dead, AS closed the loophole today, which I am happy about.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:27 pm

True. I am also happy. It is ridiculous for AS to allow their member to make use of such stopover/multi city advantage.

And AS also revise PVG/PEK to north Asia thus required more miles.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:39 pm

Yes, finally some love for KF.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was it anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.